Knowing what you know NOW (price, availability, expected games, will you buy a Wii U this year?

• 103 results
#1 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Not at launch but maybe in a couple years if anything I'm interested in playing gets announced for it.

#3 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

Maybe, after a price drop and a new Smash Bros.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

Yes, the Deluxe bundle. Got mine pre-ordered already.

#5 Posted by Dixavd (1369 posts) -

I might be thinking about it if I had the time to play the games I have right now, but I am very limited on time right now (something which will become even scarcer over the next year or so) so while I think it looks like it could be good value and that there are games which I think are worth buying a new console for (the general list of games and exclusives actually looks like one of the best console launches of my memory - but my memory isn't the best with this stuff; it still looks pretty good regardless), there isn't something there which I think I would love enough to spend every single second of free time I have playing - like for the Wii it was Twilight Princess for me - to make it worth investing with my limited time (although I can see someone else saying so for New Super Mario Bros. U if they loved the Wii one and want a game to play with friends which will definitely be fun; I can also see it being a possibility with Rayman Legends, Monster Hunter, Bayonetta 2 and Pikmin 3 = although I think those aren't out this year anyway; could be wrong about that I haven't looked at all the info yet). If I had more time though it would definitely be a possibility and I would give it some thought.

#6 Posted by Milkman (17318 posts) -

I'll wait for the price drop in a year.

#7 Posted by chilibean_3 (1695 posts) -

I would at least wait until they announce the price cut next summer.

#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12115 posts) -

I'll wait for them to go "Oh crap we really screwed up guys" then drop the price by $80 and give early adopters a bunch of free virtual console games.

That, or when the next Fire Emblem comes out.

#9 Posted by Coafi (1494 posts) -

Not this year, I'm not sure I'll buy it next year either.

#10 Edited by CaLe (4052 posts) -

I had all 3 systems this generation and it was a complete waste of money. No games interested me on the Wii, I played all multi-platform (non-PC) games on the 360 and there were about 4 PS3 exclusives I wanted. I've learned my lesson; next generation it's one console. WiiU doesn't even count as next generation in my mind, and I can't imagine myself buying one after being so disappointed with the Wii.

#11 Posted by Willza92 (272 posts) -

Still no £££ price but I imagine I won't want to miss out on the deluxe edition. This'll be my first ever Nintendo home console that actually belongs to ME! YAY

#12 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Before today, I would have said no. But MHU and Bayonetta 2 flipped me around completely.

#13 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

I'm now interested in the Wii U but I'll wait till it at a lower price or a bigger library of games.

#14 Posted by Wacomole (836 posts) -

With the other new console launches just around the corner, I'm thinking probably not. But I can never say "Never".

Then again I don't have a history with Nintendo, only ever owning an N64 and a couple of Game & Watch handhelds in the 80s

#15 Edited by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -
#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3725 posts) -

Nope .... you see the Wii games I wanted I already have , and right now none of the Ninty offereings entices me , and the third pary games are mostly available for the other 2 consoles I already own so there is no reason to waste more money as of now

#17 Posted by Bane122 (811 posts) -

Pretty unlikely but I'm sure I'll get one next year. Mostly I think the price is too high for what they will have available this year. I don't think I'll mind it when there's more stuff I'm interested in. I know I'll be getting the premium one, though.

#18 Posted by isomeri (1416 posts) -

I answered NEVER. Mainly because the option still made me giggle a bit. I might buy one at some point, but not this year. And definitely not in the following two years, because I'll be sinking most of my extra money into the next generation of consoles.

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Nope. I'm glad they got Bayonetta 2 but that isn't going to sell the system for me. Now if they were to announce a new Fire Emblem game...

#20 Posted by cmblasko (1346 posts) -

No, maybe next year or later solely for budgetary reasons. Pachter is predicting an early price drop for the system so I will wait until then.

#21 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

Yes I'm down the only thing that may hold me back is them cutting the price later or having a better version some time later.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

Since there probably won't be a price drop for a while, and I'm assuming that Bayonetta 2 is going to come out before Holiday 2013, this Black Friday is probably going to be the best time to get a deal on the WiiU so I'll probably try to pick it up then.

#23 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I'll wait either for the first price drop or like 5-10 good exclusives I'd like to play. Which should probably be a couple years knowing Nintendo. But I wanna be certain this is a console I'd actually use regularly and not just something I use to check in with Nintendo once a year or whatever, like the Wii was for me.

#24 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

Just got back from pre ordering it. I'm OK with the price. Doesn't look like a rip off like the Vita.

I bet all those Sony fanboys are pissed as hell the Sony completely shit the bed and lost Monhun.

#25 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

After a price drop, sure.

#26 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

I've never bought anything from Nintendo and I have no reason to start now.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I'll get it later for Super Smash and Bayonetta 2. So far, the software lineup is pretty bad.

#28 Posted by SortedeVaras (111 posts) -

I already bought one useless gimmicky system I never play, don't really need another. Better off saving money for real consoles next year. As a side note: I am deeply saddened to hear that Bayonetta 2 will be wasted on this, such a shame.

#29 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

@SortedeVaras said:

I already bought one useless gimmicky system I never play, don't really need another. Better off saving money for real consoles next year. As a side note: I am deeply saddened to hear that Bayonetta 2 will be wasted on this, such a shame.

If wasn't for Nintendo throwing money around we would have never gotten Bayonetta 2. That game was dead.

#30 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Maybe when there's something other than Mario and old X-Box games.

#31 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Depends on what the game catalog looks like in a year or so.

#32 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

C. Need more games.

#33 Posted by TheHT (11786 posts) -

I miss having a Nintendo console in my home. Maybe later when I get a look at the games coming down the line and when I see the next Sony and Microsoft consoles.

So probably after next years E3 I'll decide if the Wii-U is worth my time and money.

#34 Posted by spankingaddict (2739 posts) -

As soon as Pikmin 3 comes .

Why didn't they talk about this game ?!

#35 Posted by Wacomole (836 posts) -

@algertman said:

Just got back from pre ordering it. I'm OK with the price. Doesn't look like a rip off like the Vita.

I bet all those Sony fanboys are pissed as hell the Sony completely shit the bed and lost Monhun.

...and I think you'd probably lose that bet in a big way.

If you're talking about Sony users in the West, the vast majority of them could not care one iota about Monster Hunter. Now in Japan, that's an entirely different thing.

#36 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

If Nintendo can pull out some quality games from their internal studios and third party developers, the lack of power in the console can be overcome. Look how underpowered the DS was and the number of amazing games that were produced for it.

But until they have something to show, I'm sitting things out. I no longer buy consoles on the promise of awesome, because that hasn't turned out too well in the past.

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

Ehh I think I'll wait for some good games I'm not feeling the hardware so I'll need some games to be excited about. I felt for the Wii just to buy Smash Brothers I won't do that again and the next Playstation is arround the corner I think I'll just wait for that instead ... I can't get out of my head that in a couple of years this thing will become a Dreamcast and will be on life support just with Nintendo first parties as the multiplatform versions will be really subpar or non existent at all.

#38 Posted by JackSukeru (5964 posts) -

Probably. I'm not exactly extatic for it right now but it has me interested enough. My mind could still be changed in the coming months though, I'm not ruling that out.

#39 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

This year? noooooooooooo way.

Good on them for picking up Bayonetta 2 for those who want to play that though.

#40 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

As soon as Pikmin 3 comes .

Why didn't they talk about this game ?!

Because it's not a launch window game.

As for me, I'll be waiting until I see something I consider a must have. A lot of their games are looking good, heck even Nintendoland seemed fun but it's not something that would make me go out and drop over $400.

#41 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Nope. I never buy a new console until it has at least 3-5 awesome games that I can't get anywhere else. So far the Lego game is the only one that looks neat and I'm holding out hope that will come out on other platforms too. Unless I fall into some spending money I have nothing else to spend it on I will be waiting. That said, given the last few generations love of making a much better piece of hardware a few years in I'm doubly not interested in buying new ones at launch.

Besides all of that, I have just bought a new PC and have well over 40-50 current gen console games collecting dust on my shelf. I feel rather dirty just thinking about spending even more money on this stuff when I have not even touched the older stuff yet.

#42 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

@algertman: I'm willing to bet that we never wanted Bayonetta 2 depending on how much Nintendo throws itself around Platinum Games' office.

#43 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

I'll wait a year or two. The PS4 is going to be my primary console. I am a Sony fan in terms of their consoles. However would like to have the Wii U potentially for parties and such.

#44 Posted by GunstarRed (5462 posts) -

Not yet, but Bayonetta 2 changes everything for me. The other Platinum game looks ace also.

#45 Posted by PeZ (113 posts) -

dat Bayonetta 2

#46 Posted by JTB123 (1044 posts) -

Bayonetta 2 guarantees I'll get one at some point, maybe in a couple years if I see one at the right price.

#47 Posted by Asurastrike (2174 posts) -

I never play my PS3 or Wii and I just built a new PC, so if anything next generation I'm going PC/Next Microsoft Console.

#48 Posted by Marcsman (3286 posts) -

Gamecube will be my last nintendo purchase for the forseeable future.

#49 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

I'll wait and see how my kids react to it once it is out. If impressions in that age group are favorable I might get one for them, I have moved back to PC gaming again though.

Are there any regular (Wii?) controllers packed in the bundle, didn't see them? Price pleasantly surprised me though.

#50 Posted by SortedeVaras (111 posts) -

@algertman said:

@SortedeVaras said:

If wasn't for Nintendo throwing money around we would have never gotten Bayonetta 2. That game was dead.

I would rather it not exist then be on a system I am not going to buy. This is the exact same thing as happened to Persona 4 The Golden, the system is a waste of money and its not worth buying a system for 1 game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.