Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

New system update available now!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The Spring Update is now out! This update includes several improvements. Most notable is the faster load times.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=201230

Posting this on my phone.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By benpicko

Time to dust off my controller to update it and then never use it again

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Does it come with a better game library?

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ottoman673

Will it take 8 hours to download, like the original one did?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Anyone know the specific "changes" to the shop and stuff?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Does it come with a better game library?

Oh, look. A smartass.

Will it take 8 hours to download, like the original one did?

Download speeds will vary, but I'm performing the update now. It's a little more than an hour for me.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Are you saying that like it'd make me want to buy the system? Because that's the strangest goddamn selling point I could ever think of.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

After getting used to the long load times, this update makes it seem lightning fast. It's a much-needed improvement.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Glad to see that people are getting noticeable faster performance out of it after this patch. I have tried my friend's Wii U a few times and it is so insanely sluggish that is someone manages to feel older than a 360. Hopefully now, that's changed.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Bunch of assholes in this thread

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you saying that like it'd make me want to buy the system? Because that's the strangest goddamn selling point I could ever think of.

Nobody said anything like that, he's just informing people that own the system that the new update is out.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

After getting used to the long load times, this update makes it seem lightning fast. It's a much-needed improvement.

Yeah. And I heard chatter that supposedly this update also paves the way for a second update in about a month or so that should make further improvements to performance. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@video_game_king said:

Nobody said anything like that, he's just informing people that own the system that the new update is out.

Loading Video...

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@dalai said:

Yeah. And I heard chatter that supposedly this update also paves the way for a second update in about a month or so that should make further improvements to performance. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo stated in one of their Nintendo Directs that the summer patch will further improve speed and performance.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't have my Wii U hooked up to check but I read that the Wii U virtual console is live in the eShop now. I bought a bunch of SNES games already on my Wii, but apparently it costs $1.50 to get them in the Wii U VC? Is there any reason to do this besides using the Wii U gamepad and off TV mode? I'm not sure exactly what the benefit is that makes the upgrade fee justified.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Now are these loading times for the individual games? I heard lego city has some harsh loading times.

I don't own the console but I haven't ever bought a nintendo console, and I might get the wii u some day for giggles.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have my Wii U hooked up to check but I read that the Wii U virtual console is live in the eShop now. I bought a bunch of SNES games already on my Wii, but apparently it costs $1.50 to get them in the Wii U VC? Is there any reason to do this besides using the Wii U gamepad and off TV mode? I'm not sure exactly what the benefit is that makes the upgrade fee justified.

Miiverse communities and off-tv play are the primary reasons to have your games transferred, if those features don't appeal to you then it's probably not worth it. I really do despise the method Nintendo has chosen to go about this entire thing, tying purchases to your system is my biggest gripe with both the Wii and the Wii U.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

Now are these loading times for the individual games? I heard lego city has some harsh loading times.

I don't own the console but I haven't ever bought a nintendo console, and I might get the wii u some day for giggles.

These are system-specific loading times (entering/exiting games, etc.) The loading times of processes within the actual games themselves is still dependent on the game.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think those are just for when loading specific missions outside of the city, as their are not load times whatsoever while in the city.

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Hawkerace

@hailinel said:

@hawkerace said:

These are system-specific loading times (entering/exiting games, etc.) The loading times of processes within the actual games themselves is still dependent on the game.

Ah, that's disappointing to here. Oh well, thanks. Hopefully I can snag a zombiu bundle for cheap in the coming months.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overscan options. Jeff's TV died for nothing. The irony!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.