Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

New Wii U console minus GamePad = $130. Worth it?

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

An eBay seller lists a brand-new "replacement" Wii U deluxe console for $130. The catch: wires (<$5), manuals, sensor (compatible w/Wii sensor, I'm told), and GamePad ($150 for "replacement", possibly cheaper next year) are NOT included.

I know a GamePad is needed for initial setup - a friend of mine can lend his if it's only needed once - but my questions are:

Should I take up this offer?

If so, should I pay for the GamePad now, or wait until it's sold at retail? Also, what notable games require (or are greatly improved using) a GamePad?

For reference, I primarily wish to play (co-op) Super Mario 3D World this holiday, but Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, and Smash Bros. are all eventual purchases, too.

Any advice is appreciated.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

well pikmin is better with de game pad, windwaker also

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No gamepad, no deal.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nictel

No cause you can't get it separate, can you? That means that if a future game has a gamepad as mandatory you're fucked.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

nope

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I think you need the game pad for more than just setup, I wouldn't go for it.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Siphillis

@nictel said:

No cause you can't get it separate, can you? That means that if a future game has a gamepad as mandatory you're fucked.

GamePads are available both from Nintendo ($140 plus shipping) and from eBay sellers. My expectation is that Nintendo will sell GamePads at retail next year.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Scullinator

YOu cant use the nintendo store to download any games without the Game pad. I have tried to use the wii motes but it tells you the game pad is required. I have also heard that the game pad cannot be purchased on its own but I find it hard to believe that nintendo would not sell it for replacement purposes. You have to wonder how this guy ended up with just a system with no game pad. Perhaps he broke his original pad and had to purchase a new system to replace it.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That man is selling a broken Wii U.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

That man is selling a broken Wii U.

Considering it's a company seller, the feedback rating is 99%, there are eight consoles available, and it's listed as New, I doubt it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.