Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Nintendo Begrudgingly Acknowledges Wii U 3D Support

• 84 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Satoru Iwata: Now in TERRIFYING 3D!!!

Among console makers, Sony is the company seemingly most invested in the still fledgling 3D TV market, with multiple PlayStation 3 titles scheduled to take advantage of the technology in the future. Granted, a great deal of that might have to do with the fact that Sony makes 3D TVs, but hey, support is support, right?

As it turns out, Sony may have some 3D-enabled console competition in its near future. Sort of.

Speaking to the Mercury News, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata let it be known that the Wii U will also include support for those with fancy 3D televisions, albeit via least ringing endorsement you've ever heard from an executive talking about a feature contained within a new piece of console technology.

If you are going to connect Wii U with a home TV capable of displaying 3-D images, technologically, yes, it is going to be possible, but that's not the area we are focusing on.

When it comes to 3-D, we already have the 3DS, and each owner of the Nintendo 3DS is capable of viewing 3-D images. However, when it comes to the home console, it depends upon the availability of 3-D TV sets at home, which, unfortunately, is not expanding enough. And rather than pouring a lot of energy into that kind of area, with the Wii U we'd like to focus more on each Wii U owner being able to have an equal opportunity to enjoy it.

Well then, uh... get hyped? I guess?

Nintendo's stance on the situation does make some sense given the currently meager level of market penetration 3D TVs have in the average home. Adding in support almost sounds like a purely precautionary measure, just in case this 3D TV thing suddenly blows up big. And if it doesn't? Well, we can just pretend we never even had this little conversation, and go on about our 2D business as we always have, no worse for the wear.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Among console makers, Sony is the company seemingly most invested in the still fledgling 3D TV market, with multiple PlayStation 3 titles scheduled to take advantage of the technology in the future. Granted, a great deal of that might have to do with the fact that Sony makes 3D TVs, but hey, support is support, right?

As it turns out, Sony may have some 3D-enabled console competition in its near future. Sort of.

Speaking to the Mercury News, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata let it be known that the Wii U will also include support for those with fancy 3D televisions, albeit via least ringing endorsement you've ever heard from an executive talking about a feature contained within a new piece of console technology.

If you are going to connect Wii U with a home TV capable of displaying 3-D images, technologically, yes, it is going to be possible, but that's not the area we are focusing on.

When it comes to 3-D, we already have the 3DS, and each owner of the Nintendo 3DS is capable of viewing 3-D images. However, when it comes to the home console, it depends upon the availability of 3-D TV sets at home, which, unfortunately, is not expanding enough. And rather than pouring a lot of energy into that kind of area, with the Wii U we'd like to focus more on each Wii U owner being able to have an equal opportunity to enjoy it.

Well then, uh... get hyped? I guess?

Nintendo's stance on the situation does make some sense given the currently meager level of market penetration 3D TVs have in the average home. Adding in support almost sounds like a purely precautionary measure, just in case this 3D TV thing suddenly blows up big. And if it doesn't? Well, we can just pretend we never even had this little conversation, and go on about our 2D business as we always have, no worse for the wear.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Threeeee Deeeee!!!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

Nintendo is making all the wrong moves. Every article since E3 simply leaves me baffled on what they intend to accomplish with the new console.

EDIT: Oh, and yeah, of course it will have 3D support, they are playing catch up.

Xingwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Xingwa

So will the Wii U make your 3d TV glasses free like the 3ds?
    pkhilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pkhilson

3D!!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dany

@xingwa said:

Glasses-free 3d can only happen on the TV level, and even then, glasses free 3d is sketcky, just a concept currently

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By buft

I'd like to see some games for it now,  i know its strange but thats what i like about games consoles

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By jjnen
    @xingwa: Cant-tell-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg
    Avatar image for mikazukinoyaiba
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba

Future proofing Iwata, it's called Future Proofing.  

You think after the internet, friend codes, and HD you'd realize this buy now and would include technological features in anticipation of a growing market. 

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kyreo

We Beliebe...

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goodlucktj
    @Dany: it means nintendo is not wasting any time making any of their first-party wii u titles in 3d, but will provide support for third-party publishers who already have 3d modes in their games for other consoles (like the ps3). 

hardly an incompetent position, just a reiteration that nintendo isn't really interested in 3d gaming beyond the 3ds.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mnzy
    @Mikazukinoyaiba said:
    Future proofing Iwata, it's called Future Proofing.   You think after the internet, friend codes, and HD you'd realize this buy now and would include technological features in anticipation of a growing market. 
    A slowly growing market that is growing because you get it for free if you buy a new TV. Yea right, that's totally the same as the Internet.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @alex: Is there any chance you can do a Screened article on how the Transformer 3D performance did in a couple weeks?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading either from you or Rorie that studios are finally starting to lose money on it and that it's on the way out.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By paradox121
    @Dany said:

Nintendo is making all the wrong moves. Every article since E3 simply leaves me baffled on what they intend to accomplish with the new console.

Wait...its bad that they're supporting 3D? 
    Geez, I can understand people ragging on them if they'd come out and said they wouldn't allow 3D support, but this is just an extra feature that is entirely optional and entirely up to developers to use.
    Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Bass

@Dany: So you would prefer if Nintendo focused on the 3d market? Do you have a 3d TV? I certainly don't and would prefer if Nintendo didn't focus a large portion of their resources on a very small portion of the market.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By tebbit

Nint3nDo.

Those bastards had it planned from the start!!!

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By CyleMoore

7D!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dany

@Bass: @paradox121: @goodlucktj: edited my post to reflect this article. Yeah 3d support was going to happen, I was refering more to the one controller, online structure, graphics capabilites and well, limitations it appears to have even before it comes out.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By paradox121
    @Dany said:

@Bass: @paradox121: @goodlucktj: edited my post to reflect this article. Yeah 3d support was going to happen, I was refering more to the one controller, online structure, graphics capabilites and well, limitations it appears to have even before it comes out.

So you posted a negative comment before even bothering to read the article? Huh. 
    How I love the internet.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By FesteringNeon

haha (grumbles) I suppose, the goddamn thing has 3D.. (grumble)(grumble)

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dany

@paradox121 said:

@Dany said:

So you posted a negative comment before even bothering to read the article? Huh. How I love the internet.

I read this article yesterday on joystiq. I knew my post was not reflective of this specific article but on the general trend of recent Wii U announcements. I simply edited my post.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Djeffers03

Nintendo have an atrocious job at promoting this console. They seem really unclear as to what they want to tell us about it yet we seem to find it all out anyway. What's worse is that all we seem to be finding out about is bad shit.

Elow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Elow

When the Wii was getting released, they said the same thing about HDTV's when they were beginning to hit mass market penetration. Look how that blew in their faces.

****Yes, I know the Wii has and still sold like crazy, but that's not the point****

I'm not 100% behind 3D technology at the current time, but you never know. 3D is sure to only become cheaper (and thus more widespread) as time goes on.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By peacebrother

Nintendo said the EXACT SAME THING about HD, almost word for word. Replace 3D with "HDTV" in that statement, and it's what they said in 05. 

They're incredibly short sighted when it comes to television technology.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By huser
    @Elow said:

When the Wii was getting released, they said the same thing about HDTV's when they were beginning to hit mass market penetration. Look how that blew in their faces.

****Yes, I know the Wii has and still sold like crazy, but that's not the point****

I'm not 100% behind 3D technology at the current time, but you never know. 3D is sure to only become cheaper (and thus more widespread) as time goes on.

Uh, what else is the point for a company but to sell a lot of things? Had they gone with HD they would have lost even more market share. It's that simple. They aren't a tech company like MS nor a media company like Sony. There is zero chance they could have replicated their success by just trying to match what those companies were doing (ie losing hundreds of dollars per unit, gambling on later success). And if your plan doesn't replicate the billions they made on the Wii, their plan was the right one.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Rockdalf

And we wonder why companies aren't as honest with us as they are.  Nintendo is telling us their game plan, the console is 3D capable but it's not going to be a priority, and we're ragging on them.  This is the reason we get fed bullshit by Microsoft and Sony (and Capcom) all the time, it's easier to build false hype for something and just drop it when you've already hooked the customers. 

I have no interest in 3D gaming, but if I was a gamer who was interested in 3D gaming, I would be glad Nintendo told me it's not really something they're going to push.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By huser
    @Melvargh said:
    Nintendo said the EXACT SAME THING about HD, almost word for word. Replace 3D with "HDTV" in that statement, and it's what they said in 05.   They're incredibly short sighted when it comes to television technology.
    Yeah, HD was an emerging market where media makers, distributors, and set makers were all pushing for it and it had obvious benefits. 3D viewing DEFINITELY has not reached that level of success or momentum. Hell, there is still question of HOW we are going to get all this 3D content given it takes roughly twice the bandwidth of precious HD space. This of course ignores things like buying expensive glasses, having to wear them, etc.

And of course people have already bought into their HD sets, Buying into 3D is literally on that basis alone and most people aren't sold on it..
    Cubical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cubical

No FUCK   all you need is a GPU that can DRaw 2 fucking frames at the same time and send it off to the fucking monitor, and that means any fucking Recent GPU no matter how crap it is. 

Fuck you could even do this crap with direct x 8 GPU's a million years ago. 

It is almost  Dolby pro logic 2 for fucking video except for 2 fricking stereo channels that need to be processed by the audio equipment it's 2 video frames. 

And the only thing hold the slow ass wii back from doing 3d is most TV's only   process it over HDMI.

Thanks for saying the obvious  Nintendo and news people. 

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/data/media/13/obvious-master.jpg 

Now go find out what that crazy metal gear guy is going to say today it is more important Oh and it's going to be about snatcher they will announce it down the line it exist.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/07/08/kojima_announcement/

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By huser
    @Djeffers03 said:
    Nintendo have an atrocious job at promoting this console. They seem really unclear as to what they want to tell us about it yet we seem to find it all out anyway. What's worse is that all we seem to be finding out about is bad shit.
    Agreed. It's just been a mess. Obvious sign of panic not crafting the message or at least being ahead of the pitfalls.

Though I don't particularly think there's anything atrocious in this specific bit.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Kyle

Nintendo is an equal-opportunity fun-maker.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#31  Edited By bed
    @Tebbit said:

Nint3nDo.

Those bastards had it planned from the start!!!

shutupshutupshutup DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS.. that they probably... already have.  

we're screwed. 
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexxan

Still not interested in 3D gaming but if they include it I guess that's alright...

Kinda hard to figure out what Nintendo will make of this console...we need more info and games!

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By FreakAche

This is disturbingly similar to the statement they gave when they justified the Wii's lack of HD support, although it admittedly may be more logical stance to take this time around.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Dany said:

@xingwa said:

Glasses-free 3d can only happen on the TV level, and even then, glasses free 3d is sketcky, just a concept currently

Glasses Free 3D laptops, monitors and TVs are just about to reach us all. Some have already been launched and released. They are all well beyond the concept stage. It's just that the reporting of such news has been lost in the mire of everything else that's been happening (iPhone Jailbreak, PS3 hack, PSN takedown and such).

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sirdesmond

@FreakAche said:

This is disturbingly similar to the statement they gave when they justified the Wii's lack of HD support, although it admittedly may be more logical stance to take this time around.

While it is definitely similar, I think they are spot on with this decision whereas HD was certainly a mistake. At the time of the Wii, HD may not have had all that much market penetration but it was certainly catching-on and now is pretty much the standard (especially for gamers). It was foolish of them to not focus their technology a bit further out into the future. 3D technology in terms of home televisions though not only doesn't currently have market penetration but it does not seem to be something that is going to be a common occurrence in the home environment within the next 4 years or so (in it's current glasses-requiring form). Sony is all about it because they make the expensive new 3DTVs as well.

Frankly, I would like to see the focus shift from 3D in a home TV setting and onto higher resolution displays because we can definitely do better than 1080p in the future. I mean, my Sega Genesis says "High-Definition Gaming" on it and look how far we've come from that definition of HD already.

/ramble

Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @mnzy said:
    @Mikazukinoyaiba said:
    Future proofing Iwata, it's called Future Proofing.   You think after the internet, friend codes, and HD you'd realize this buy now and would include technological features in anticipation of a growing market. 
    A slowly growing market that is growing because you get it for free if you buy a new TV. Yea right, that's totally the same as the Internet.
    I can't even follow the logic in your post. What are you talking about "You get it for free"?  

Nintendo has always been slow to adopt new technology or even to include technological features to appeal to a growing market, arguing that there are few people. Unless Nintendo doesn't intend on selling the Wii U for 4-5 years, neglecting 3D is just doing the same as neglecting proper Internet compatability or HD like with the GCN and Wii. 

People are going to be buying 3D televisions, that number is going to grow just the same as HD television adoption and broadband/dsl internet. Arguing that "We have a 3DS!" is just, well plain stupid.
    Xingwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xingwa
    @SeriouslyNow
    You can now make almost anything glasses free 3D with the Pic3d Film tech. I'm just looking for some new add-on from Nintendo for the Wii U. The 3D film tech should allow them to push the same type of 3D used in the 3DS without relying on users having a 3D ready display.
    Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mikazukinoyaiba
    @Rockdalf said:
    And we wonder why companies aren't as honest with us as they are.  Nintendo is telling us their game plan, the console is 3D capable but it's not going to be a priority, and we're ragging on them.  This is the reason we get fed bullshit by Microsoft and Sony (and Capcom) all the time, it's easier to build false hype for something and just drop it when you've already hooked the customers.  I have no interest in 3D gaming, but if I was a gamer who was interested in 3D gaming, I would be glad Nintendo told me it's not really something they're going to push.
    It's not that Nintendo said they aren't putting the most focus on 3D television that is getting everyone upset. It is that they gave an unclear answer "The Wii U could support 3D" when people want to know whether it will or not, not whether it could.  

Knowing Nintendo and their history, I can read between the lines and tell that they aren't going to support 3D but didn't want to deny it for PR reasons, this just backfired on them by neither confirming or denying.
    spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spctre

Actually I read the whole statement as a pretty pragmatic, honest assessment of the current market penetration of livingroom-type 3D technology. Definitely sounds like a prudent stance towards that particular technology at the moment, and it also makes sense in the context of Nintendo's current hardware portfolio.

Colt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#40  Edited By Colt

This is probably the most reasonable way to go about it. I mean I can't be sure but I'm really hoping this 3d craze ends up being a failed fad. It's good that they give you the option but better that they aren't going to push it. I also appreciate how they're not revealing too much since the console won't be out for at least a year.

Eijikun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Eijikun

Nintendo was right about online gaming, too. ;)

Eijikun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eijikun

Oh, and not using disc drives because they "make games, not movies."

Luck3ySe7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Luck3ySe7en

Ugh, nintendo. You have seriously lost me on this.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#44  Edited By MeatSim

Yea I am not buying a 3D TV anyway.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

People look for any reason to shit on Nintendo. Oh well, I just went HD, so I don't see 3D in my future for a long time.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HarrySound

So it'll be fine while looking at a 3D TV but as soon as you have glasses on looking at the new controller whats gonna happen? 
    FAIL!

motang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#47  Edited By motang

I am not a fan of 3D with glasses!

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mnzy
    @Mikazukinoyaiba: I was saying that 3D is growing because you can barely buy a new TV without it now. It's not as hot as HD or the Internet AT ALL. That comparison is just wrong.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Hizang

When are people going to stop doing 3D, the 3D part of the 3DS is one of the worst things on the 3DS

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Nomin

Just leapfrog the 3D business into holographic imaging. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.