Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Nintendo Unveils the Wii U, Leaves the World In a State of Bewilderment

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Say this for Nintendo: they're rarely predictable.

This morning's E3 2011 Nintendo press conference promised to unveil the console maker's next generation of hardware, and Nintendo did not disappoint. Instead, it mostly confused, bewildered, and at times, very much impressed.

Games will support unique displays via the screen when you're playing on the TV, or transfer gameplay directly to the screen.
    Games will support unique displays via the screen when you're playing on the TV, or transfer gameplay directly to the screen.

Let's start with the name, which had been the subject of much bandying by various industry pundits. Everything from just "The Nintendo" to far more ludicrous options had been tossed around, but the near-universal agreement that the Wii branding would be ditched turned out to be a falsehood. The Wii U is the new system, and Reggie used the name unveiling to make a few alliterative talking points regarding "unity" and "utopia" among players.

The console is designed to cater to both the hardcore audience that Nintendo seemingly all but abandoned when the Wii was first introduced, and the casual-minded players who flocked to the Wii in its early days. But just what the hell is this thing, anyway?

Nearly all of the presentation was dedicated to the new controller technology, a slick-looking, tablet-inspired device with two circle sticks, a d-pad, the usual suite of buttons, a gyroscope, a built-in camera, and what have you. However, the big draw is the built-in screen, a 6.2 inch touch-sensitive screen that can emulate at least some version of the graphics you'll see on your TV screen.

Though the demo at the conference didn't do much to explain this, there is actually a Wii U box that hooks up to your TV, which works in proper HD. It's backward compatible with all existing Wii games, and apparently supports existing Wii hardware too.

This is the box. Yes, there is a box.

One of the more intriguing things about the new controller device is that it actually lets you keep playing your games if you decide to do something else with your TV. Whatever game you're playing via the TV will automatically switch to the controller screen should you decide to start watching something else on television.

Nintendo's big thing was to demonstrate the number of different uses for the tech, which included everything from video chat, to stylus drawing, and a variety of motion/video-based controls. However, this was done largely at the expense of new game announcements. Reggie himself only touted one new game in development--a new Lego title from TT Games--but a video featuring several third-party developers and publishers including a slate of game announcements, including Darksiders II, Assassin's Creed, a new Tekken game, Metro Last Light, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and more. EA's John Riccitiello even vaguely described the "possibility" of a Battlefield game appearing on the system, as Battlefield 3 footage played behind him. However, he stopped short of an actual announcement.

Nintendo is not showing any full games at E3, but rather is sticking to "game demos," which sound more like tech demo-ish proofs of concept. Regardless, we'll definitely be getting our hands on this strange, fascinating new device during the show. Look for more in the near future.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Say this for Nintendo: they're rarely predictable.

This morning's E3 2011 Nintendo press conference promised to unveil the console maker's next generation of hardware, and Nintendo did not disappoint. Instead, it mostly confused, bewildered, and at times, very much impressed.

Let's start with the name, which had been the subject of much bandying by various industry pundits. Everything from just "The Nintendo" to far more ludicrous options had been tossed around, but the near-universal agreement that the Wii branding would be ditched turned out to be a falsehood. The Wii U is the new system, and Reggie used the name unveiling to make a few alliterative talking points regarding "unity" and "utopia" among players.

The console is designed to cater to both the hardcore audience that Nintendo seemingly all but abandoned when the Wii was first introduced, and the casual-minded players who flocked to the Wii in its early days. But just what the hell is this thing, anyway?

Nearly all of the presentation was dedicated to the new controller technology, a slick-looking, tablet-inspired device with two circle sticks, a d-pad, the usual suite of buttons, a gyroscope, a built-in camera, and what have you. However, the big draw is the built-in screen, a 6.2 inch touch-sensitive screen that can emulate at least some version of the graphics you'll see on your TV screen.

Though the demo at the conference didn't do much to explain this, there is actually a Wii U box that hooks up to your TV, which works in proper HD. It's backward compatible with all existing Wii games, and apparently supports existing Wii hardware too.

One of the more intriguing things about the new controller device is that it actually lets you keep playing your games if you decide to do something else with your TV. Whatever game you're playing via the TV will automatically switch to the controller screen should you decide to start watching something else on television.

Nintendo's big thing was to demonstrate the number of different uses for the tech, which included everything from video chat, to stylus drawing, and a variety of motion/video-based controls. However, this was done largely at the expense of new game announcements. Reggie himself only touted one new game in development--a new Lego title from TT Games--but a video featuring several third-party developers and publishers including a slate of game announcements, including Darksiders II, Assassin's Creed, a new Tekken game, Metro Last Light, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and more. EA's John Riccitiello even vaguely described the "possibility" of a Battlefield game appearing on the system, as Battlefield 3 footage played behind him. However, he stopped short of an actual announcement.

Nintendo is not showing any full games at E3, but rather is sticking to "game demos," which sound more like tech demo-ish proofs of concept. Regardless, we'll definitely be getting our hands on this strange, fascinating new device during the show. Look for more in the near future.

lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By lolgreg

Oh lawd, Nintendo.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Meltac

I still don't get it. 

KarateLincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KarateLincoln

Smash Bros. That is all.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MisterMouse

Ok good to see the actually console hardware... still I don't know. Why didn't they talk about the actual specs of the console itself?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Pirate freaking arrows.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This is going to be so uncomfortable to play.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By mscupcakes

Just don't let anybody Wii on U

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By herocide

GET HYPE

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jack_daniels

BAHAHAHAHA

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rotnac

oh man... Wii U? really? really?

Kaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kaspar

Wiiew Wiiew is the sound police sirens make lol ^ ^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 137

yeah this is going to be amazing.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

Jeff posted a picture of someone playing New Super Mario Bros Mii, he was looking at the controller screen and ignoring the big screen tv. Mission accomplished?

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By morrelloman

Word

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By Catolf
    @ShaggE said:
    Pirate freaking arrows.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Name makes VITA sound great. What a dumb dumb name Nintendo.

Not convinced yet, controller looks like something out of a toy store called "my first tablet". Ultimately the games and price will make me decide if I get it, but I doubt this offers something compelling at launch.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By sopranosfan

Wii U is where I wish I would have went to college.
    DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthB

Fuck. I know I'll probably buy this thing about 6 months to a year after launch, then proceed to never use it if it's supported like the wii is. Here's hoping it has great software support!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By MeatSim

They should have shown the actual console during the press conference.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sayishere

I still have no idea what to say

changgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By changgo

Looks kinda like bleached PS Vita. Wonder if Sony could bake in similar features/support between their new handheld and the PS3?

Troncek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Troncek

Hmm, what the...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AuthenticM

Such a fucking horrible name. Oh my God.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Kyle

Yeah, that headline pretty much says it all...

bobtastic715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bobtastic715
    @pyromaster222: As Reggie said in an interview for G4 post-conference Nintendo isn't known for talking about specs and things of graphical nature they like to focus on the gameplay.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#28  Edited By metalsnakezero

Reggie said that Wii U will be 1080p so thats good and this how the Wii felt like, it need to prove it can do it. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By dbz1995

I thought the tablet thing itself was the actual console.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By haggis

Just when I had hopes that Nintendo would pull itself back from the brink, they offer this shit. Seriously, what the hell are they smoking over there?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By selbie

Saw the video stream on Nintendo's site. That Pirate demo is actually a rhythm game.

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DirtyEagles

I think it's great

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrfluke

one last time 4 good measure XD

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SlightConfuse

great article this will help with the confusion of the conference

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EmuLeader

This controller screams Crystal Chonicles, and given the original was on a Nintendo system as well, i'm really hoping a new one comes out.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MisterMouse
    @bobtastic715: Makes you wonder if there is a greater reason they aren't talking about it.
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

I bet the Angry Birds tablet gamer crowd will just love this. Now I have to go eat some rusty nails.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Marz

I'm just wondering if that controller is going to be comfortable after holding it for a few hours.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By arch4non

The Wii U looks really, really cool. From what they were saying it's up to the developers to choose how to use the hardware. There will most likely be more ergonomical versions of the controller without a screen which can be used like the classic controller on the current Wii.

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lobster_Ear

The console looks like a Wii-360 hybrid

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By soralapio

@DarthB said:

Fuck. I know I'll probably buy this thing about 6 months to a year after launch, then proceed to never use it if it's supported like the wii is. Here's hoping it has great software support!

The controller has the same buttons as the PS3 and 360. The console should be at least as powerful, if not more so. This time there's no reason not to port and as companies love money, they surely will. Add to this Nintendo's amazing first party support and it's hard to not get a bit excited about the Wii U (even if the name kind of sucks).

virtua_ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By virtua_ben

@AuthenticM said:

Such a fucking horrible name. Oh my God.

Couldn't agree more...but i'm hopeful for the gameplay. That's all that matters.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Azteck

Vita sounds like a fantastic name in comparison to this. Honestly this thing looks retarded.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beforet

When you think PlayStation Vita will take the gold for goofiest name of E3, Nintendo rolls out the Wii U. Bravo, gentlemen, bravo.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By Xeiphyer

Not that impressed with the controller stuff, not enough to make it a real game changer.

I hope Nintendo proves my wrong, but this thing looks DOA. A console that plays ps3 and 360 games is fine, but those consoles are 6 years old, and this Wiiu isn't coming until at least next year. Shortly after that we will see the next generation from Sony and Microsoft, which will render the Wiiu's graphical capability useless, and then the only thing they have going for them is this controller (unless they have more gimmicks to announce).

I can't see how the casual market will be buying the wiiu either, they already have a wii and it never gets played. Most people aren't going to pick it up any time soon.

I guess we will see in the coming months, but I am definitely keeping my expectations metered for now.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#46  Edited By MachoFantastico

Nintendo did a really poor job of describing the system, I still don't get what it actually is.

Overall I was underwhelmed by what I saw, the controller looked awful.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By golguin

I was blown away by the controller and the concepts that were shown. I don't understand all this "I don't get it" stuff assuming it isn't simply trolling.

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jiggah
    @Changgo
    They already did.  Streaming Lair on the PSP and the PS3.  The Vita would be able to do this too if Sony chooses.  If developers incorporate these features to the WiiU expect it to show up as additional features for the Vita/PS3.
    49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 49th

I thought of a much better name:  
    Wii2 U 
    Their tag line would be:
    From We to You

nightbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By nightbird

Now if I only had a reason to turn my wii on...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.