Nintendo Won't Abandon Buttons for Playing Games Anytime Soon

Posted by patrickklepek (3057 posts) -

One can only hope for more pulsing blue lights.
Given the continued success of Apple's touch-based iOS devices and rumors Nintendo's forthcoming successor to the Wii will include a screen on its mysterious controller, many have rightly wondered if Nintendo would consider following Apple down the patch of touch and motion-based only controls for games.

The short answer: no.

The longer answer comes from a translated question-and-answer between Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and analysts, following Nintendo's disclosure of its fiscal results. 

== TEASER == "Regarding the format you referred to as 'tablet,'" said Iwata, "which has a certain big screen and allows users to directly touch it, when we look at it from the viewpoint of 'developing software which uses a touch screen,' I think it is an interesting device if it creates an experience that is in line with the trend created by Nintendo DS."

"On the other hand," he continued, "we have never abandoned the + [up, down, left, right] Control Pad and buttons for our game systems because we think these functions are advantageous when creating highly reactive games. In this meaning, I do not think Nintendo hardware will take on any of the current tablet forms as they are without buttons, to make our game devices. However, this is only when we consider tablets as game devices and, for other purposes, I think tablets are very interesting, and they are a form of hardware that will continue to grow."

Iwata's quote sheds light on what we've been hearing about the primary controller for its next machine. In this case, buttons are here to stay. How those buttons will be used, however? Well, time will tell.  
Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3057 posts) -

One can only hope for more pulsing blue lights.
Given the continued success of Apple's touch-based iOS devices and rumors Nintendo's forthcoming successor to the Wii will include a screen on its mysterious controller, many have rightly wondered if Nintendo would consider following Apple down the patch of touch and motion-based only controls for games.

The short answer: no.

The longer answer comes from a translated question-and-answer between Nintendo president Satoru Iwata and analysts, following Nintendo's disclosure of its fiscal results. 

== TEASER == "Regarding the format you referred to as 'tablet,'" said Iwata, "which has a certain big screen and allows users to directly touch it, when we look at it from the viewpoint of 'developing software which uses a touch screen,' I think it is an interesting device if it creates an experience that is in line with the trend created by Nintendo DS."

"On the other hand," he continued, "we have never abandoned the + [up, down, left, right] Control Pad and buttons for our game systems because we think these functions are advantageous when creating highly reactive games. In this meaning, I do not think Nintendo hardware will take on any of the current tablet forms as they are without buttons, to make our game devices. However, this is only when we consider tablets as game devices and, for other purposes, I think tablets are very interesting, and they are a form of hardware that will continue to grow."

Iwata's quote sheds light on what we've been hearing about the primary controller for its next machine. In this case, buttons are here to stay. How those buttons will be used, however? Well, time will tell.  
Staff
#2 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Feel Mii.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9722 posts) -

Yes! Long live buttons!

#4 Posted by TimmyChaw (114 posts) -

I wouldnt mind something akin to an Xbox controller with the chat pad, but instead of the chat pad its a touch screen. 

Just dont take my buttons away...
#5 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

makes sense 

#6 Posted by mnzy (2909 posts) -

Oh buttons, I like you, too.

#7 Posted by craigbo180 (1739 posts) -

Thank god for that.

#8 Edited by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

I honestly don't care what control scheme future Nintendo systems have, just so long as they keep pumping out great Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash, and (wishful thinking) Pikmin games.

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4883 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Feel Mii. "
Touch mii, feel mii, heal mii.
#10 Posted by metalsnakezero (2267 posts) -

Buttons will live long in to the future.

#11 Posted by Brendan (7508 posts) -

Buttons are pretty damn good at what they do.  In fact, you could say that nothing is better at what they do than buttons!

#12 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

I am so relieved. All hail buttons.

#13 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Feel Mii. "
Touch mii, feel mii, heal mii. "
Oh fuck mii. :(
#14 Posted by Vexxan (4598 posts) -

Buttons get the job done.

#15 Posted by StriderNo9 (1016 posts) -

Well if they want ports of big games then they can never ever do it. Thank goodness.

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@TimmyChaw said:
" I wouldnt mind something akin to an Xbox controller with the chat pad, but instead of the chat pad its a touch screen. 

Just dont take my buttons away...
"
That thing got pretty heavy with a chatpad, especially with rechargeable AAs. They would have to make it Sony style to make that work, but if they managed to do that, it would work pretty well I think. But ultimately I think a touchscreen is useless on a console controller. That chatpad worked because you could feel the buttons and always knew where they were with a little time to get familiar with it.
#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4883 posts) -
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Feel Mii. "
Oh fuck mii. :( "
I... don't think that's how the song goes.
#18 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Feel Mii. "
Oh fuck mii. :( "
I... don't think that's how the song goes. "
Oh fuck mii. :(
#19 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

umm duh why would they even think about touch screen controls, they suck.

#20 Posted by Tally_Pants (589 posts) -

Buttons are good! Buttons are best!

#21 Posted by onarum (1945 posts) -
@craigbo180 said:
" Thank god for that. "
#22 Posted by CaptainDa (5 posts) -

"I think it is an interesting device if it creates an experience that is in line with the trend created by Nintendo DS."

Super Nintendo Wii DS confirmed! Jeff called it on the Bonus Round! ; P

#23 Posted by Pop (2529 posts) -

I kind of imagine the controller looking like a psp

#24 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (430 posts) -

Trying to map buttons to a touch pad is such a bad idea. You should only do it if you have to.

#25 Posted by raiz265 (2232 posts) -

Thank you Nintendo.

#26 Posted by tourgen (4228 posts) -

I like buttons.  Good news I guess.  I skipped the N64 and the Wii.  I'm about ready for another Nintendo box.  Sell me a collection of all of the 3D Marios and Metroids (that I skipped) to sweeten the deal.

#27 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Good to hear.

#28 Posted by moelarrycurly (667 posts) -

I still want it to be called the Super Wii.

#29 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

You say button...

#30 Posted by Leafhopper (227 posts) -

Thank God.

#31 Posted by ChrisTaran (1487 posts) -

"many have rightly wondered"
If you've wondered that, there is nothing "right" about you.

#32 Posted by StrawHatLaw13 (166 posts) -

I feel patronized when I hear a click from the speaker.

Although I'm still just as amused with the bubblewrap application.
#33 Posted by CarpetRemnant (369 posts) -

I get a 500 error when I try to view the full story :-/

#34 Posted by CookieMonster (2408 posts) -
@Leakster said:
" I get a 500 error when I try to view the full story :-/ "
Yep, same. From the home page and from the 'read the full story link' on the news page. The title of the article on the news page does actually link you to the full article and doesn't give you an error.
#35 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

heh,
I wasn't aware people was worried about that. 

#36 Posted by blaakmawf (542 posts) -

Cool. I like the responsiveness of buttons as well as the tactile feedback. If both of those things could be emulated by some other interface, I would welcome it.

#37 Posted by CakeBomb (198 posts) -

Just put analog triggers and something else fancy on the Classic Controller Pro and make that the official controller as it's the best out there.

#38 Posted by liako21 (519 posts) -

a DS as the controller and your finger as the stylus?

#39 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (913 posts) -
#40 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Feel Mii. "
Fucking fantastic.

Consider yourself followed.
#41 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

Nintendo would definitely be going off of the deep end if they got rid of buttons.  

#42 Posted by MysteriousBob (6273 posts) -

A touchscreen only console would be beyond horrible.

#43 Posted by ptys (1747 posts) -

Everyone is so scared of Apple, it would be nice if other companies took inspiration from some of their aesthetic design choices. Not saying touch screen for gaming, but you have to admit they are the Mercedes Benz/BMW of tech.

#44 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2341 posts) -

BUTTONS!

#45 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

"There can be no future on electronic consoles without buttons, which haven't been invented yet because the year is like 434 at the moment and i'm kinda busy ruling the Huns"

That awesome quote which still makes sense today from Attila the Hun.

#46 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

That'd be a step too far for Nintendo definitely. I mean, they allegedly have a TRI-core in their new console, when my reasonably standard run of the mill computer has had a quad core for about 4 years. Pushing technology leaps and bounds fo sho!

#47 Posted by thebatmobile (978 posts) -

Sweet. Practically every single game on the iOS devices sucks control-wise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.