Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Seeing, Playing (Sort of) Zelda in High-Definition

• 90 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Nintendo video games will finally be displayed in high-definition sometime in 2012. Most of the prototypes shown by Nintendo, however, didn’t properly underscore what more palatable hardware could mean for Nintendo games and what third-parties now have access to.

Chase Mii and others were terrific examples of what Wii U’s controller is capable of, but the (mostly) non-playable demonstration of a Zelda HD was, well, Zelda HD.

As one would expect, Zelda HD looks pretty damn great. A Nintendo representative would not confirm whether this was actually a new Zelda game or not, only saying it was a high-definition sampling of a Zelda game molded after Twilight Princess.

The demo itself did not involve controlling Link and battling the towering spider, but it was a real-time, camera-adjustable demo that allowed seamless transition from viewing the game on a TV to the controller. In a very Apple-like fashion, it just works. Period. No pause, no jittering—the screen just moves places, as though that was a great thing games have been doing forever.

The difference in screen fidelity is apparent when you look closely, but at a glance, and for the imaginable situations where you’re playing it for short moments of time, it’s looking more than serviceable. The screen quality seems much better than what we’ve come to expect from the DS touch screen but not quite approaching PS Vita.

Link’s inventory appears on the touch screen when the game’s being played on a TV, a feature I’d expect most games to adopt as a simple way of incorporating the screen in some meaningful way. When the game switches to the controller, one would imagine it’s as simple as hitting start and swapping items the old fashioned way.

In short: Nintendo games are going to look great in HD, both on the TV and controller.

No Caption Provided
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Nintendo video games will finally be displayed in high-definition sometime in 2012. Most of the prototypes shown by Nintendo, however, didn’t properly underscore what more palatable hardware could mean for Nintendo games and what third-parties now have access to.

Chase Mii and others were terrific examples of what Wii U’s controller is capable of, but the (mostly) non-playable demonstration of a Zelda HD was, well, Zelda HD.

As one would expect, Zelda HD looks pretty damn great. A Nintendo representative would not confirm whether this was actually a new Zelda game or not, only saying it was a high-definition sampling of a Zelda game molded after Twilight Princess.

The demo itself did not involve controlling Link and battling the towering spider, but it was a real-time, camera-adjustable demo that allowed seamless transition from viewing the game on a TV to the controller. In a very Apple-like fashion, it just works. Period. No pause, no jittering—the screen just moves places, as though that was a great thing games have been doing forever.

The difference in screen fidelity is apparent when you look closely, but at a glance, and for the imaginable situations where you’re playing it for short moments of time, it’s looking more than serviceable. The screen quality seems much better than what we’ve come to expect from the DS touch screen but not quite approaching PS Vita.

Link’s inventory appears on the touch screen when the game’s being played on a TV, a feature I’d expect most games to adopt as a simple way of incorporating the screen in some meaningful way. When the game switches to the controller, one would imagine it’s as simple as hitting start and swapping items the old fashioned way.

In short: Nintendo games are going to look great in HD, both on the TV and controller.

No Caption Provided
    liquidfkinfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By liquidfkinfire

Love zelda

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By blackblade500

Looks kinda cool

weehughie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weehughie

Nooooo, so close.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By paulunga

I'm almost ready to jump on the hype train at this point.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @paulunga: I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hype myself.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#7  Edited By sammo21

I can't really get excited for this. New console with a ridicuously expensive looking controller? I'm going to say controllers will be $100 and the system at launch will be $350-400.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Zippedbinders

Was it just the brief video snippet of the game that you could transition? Or could you actually look around it, like a 3D screenshot sort of thing?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Winternet

So is this thing actually good? Maybe great? Even amazing? I need to know more.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By s-a-n-JR

What a goddamn tease.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McGhee

It seems like the new controller could end up being completely optional. Just give me a real controller, please. A hard drive would also be nice. How else am I going to download so many virtual console games?

Avatar image for clockwork_saint
    Clockwork_saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Clockwork_saint

Zelda in HD! Finally, maybe now we'll get some voice acting? Yeah right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im still really confused.

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Floppypants

I look forward to playing this in 2013

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Jethuty said:

Will those games run on the wii or the controller? or has the console been announced or is that yet to come??

This is the controller for the new, HD-enabled console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

and that is yet to be announced right? or atleast the specs and looks of it?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard
    @Jethuty said:

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By wrighteous86

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

It seems like the new controller could end up being completely optional. Just give me a real controller, please. A hard drive would also be nice. How else am I going to download so many virtual console games?

Any cheap external HDD hopefully. I don't want to mess around with SD cards or jacked up prices like the 360 HDDs.

@Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

They've got some rough specs, but nothing concrete. It looks like a Wii and a 360 had a baby. Rumors range from it being less powerful than a 360 (based off of these tech demos) to more powerful than a PS3 (based off the IBM thingy they got in there). The Wii U can stream video from the TV to the controller, so you can turn off the TV or change the channel but still continue playing your console game, if you so wish.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

Nintendo will never likely break down the full "specs" of the thing. There are pictures of the console itself, and its been confirmed to have HDMI support.  

No Caption Provided
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#20  Edited By Grumbel
    @Jethuty said:

The games will run on the console and be streamed to the controller, thus you can't take the controller and go for a walk as you need to stay within range of the console. It is essentially the same as what Playstation did a long while ago with Remote Play (except that was laggy and nobody used it).  Also yes, the WiiU is a full new console, it is not a new controller for the Wii.

This is different from the Gamecube/GBA link, as with those the games actually run on the GBA and the Gamecube, the Gamecube just provided the game to run via link cable to the GBA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

I take it you missed the Nintendo Press Conference at this show called E3, where Nintendo announced their new console the Wii U which will be a small white box which plays games in HD, on a HD TV, and can also stream them to the controller when the TV is needed for other uses.

i was watching the stream, they just didnt show the Console and they almost never talked about it. All they did was talking about the controller.

But yeah thanks for being a smug asshole about it.

@HubrisRanger said:

No Caption Provided
    @Jethuty said:

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty said:

Nintendo will never likely break down the full "specs" of the thing. There are pictures of the console itself, and its been confirmed to have HDMI support.

yeah i knew it would have HDMI support, i just didnt see any pictures or what was really inside.

Is it above the current generation of consoles in terms of hardware or is it on par?

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Jethuty   
    Those are the kinda questions that I was suggesting that Nintendo will likely never answer, IE comparable horsepower to their greatest competition, partially because they prefer to act like they're the only game in town. I think the general thought is, based on demos like this, it is somewhere compatible with current systems, but not likely far ahead. But Nintendo has always prided itself on innovation and design over tech muscle. Most of the demos have used Wii Sports like graphics, so really hard to say at this point. Functionally, this week/year is about getting across the basic idea of their crazy newfangled controller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HubrisRanger said:

@Jethuty Those are the kinda questions that I was suggesting that Nintendo will likely never answer, IE comparable horsepower to their greatest competition, partially because they prefer to act like they're the only game in town. I think the general thought is, based on demos like this, it is somewhere compatible with current systems, but not likely far ahead. But Nintendo has always prided itself on innovation and design over tech muscle. Most of the demos have used Wii Sports like graphics, so really hard to say at this point. Functionally, this week/year is about getting across the basic idea of their crazy newfangled controller.

yeah, its hopefully on par with this generation of consoles.

The video demo of the bird flying around in the garden was alright, but could have been much cleaner and crisper, texture wise.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By korwin

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chicken008
    @Korwin: Dunno why you think they will come out in 2 years, Microsoft have said that the new Halo trilogy will be on 360, I'm sure that will take them to 2016 at least.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

Roomrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Roomrunner
    @Korwin said:

If this thing isn't significantly more powerful than what there is now then it's going to be dead within 2 years once the next Xbox and PS land.

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all. 

I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"  

I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
    downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By downtime58
    @Jethuty: I have a feeling that the reason Nintendo hasn't been keen on showing the console is that they've likely not finalized what kind of horsepower the system will have.

The controller is a known quality, but I'm willing to bet that the processing and hard drive space are liable to change until the production line starts rolling.
    digigb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By digigb

I can be crazy but, with this tech does the word MMO sounds possible?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By AgentJ
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bollard
    @Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

It's great you could watch every second of it out of your mom's basement but not everyone caught it.

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

It was on at 5pm in England you shit-fuck, hardly an awkward time for anyone here to watch.

if you got a job it might be.

or you know, grown up duties.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngriGhandi

Oh man

Why couldn't Nintendo have done this instead of the Wii

Then my Kinect would have been some fly-ass tablet instead of an overpriced TV hood ornament

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bollard
    @Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

How so? Not all jobs are 9-5 you know...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

How so? Not all jobs are 9-5 you know...

I think you just answered your own question.

Plus you know, grown up duties. But you can figure that part out later.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic
    @Roomrunner said:
    @Korwin said:

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all.  I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"   I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
    To be fair, both of those games are running off the Source engine which is quite dated despite Valve constantly doing impressive updates. Most game engines aren't making the leaps they might be able to because they're bound to what the systems can do. 

That said, I don't really care about graphics. I do, however, care about the larger worlds, smarter games, etc etc that come from better tech, so I'm hoping, like you, that's the focus of the next generation.
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By DeeGee

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

Wow, people are fucking assholes these days. Dude asks a question, and someone gives a nice reply with the information that was requested and he gets this?

Fuck. Remind me never to help anyone.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By metalsnakezero

I think it is a little too early to be hating on Nintendo for this since we haven't seen what the system can 100% do, only same examples. Lets leave our judgment when they are ready to show off the capabilities of the system. 

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By tourgen

omg instant transfarring. Some one is going to be pissssssed

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#41  Edited By TadThuggish

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

hahahaha weeooo weeooo insecure alert!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I'm not full convinced yet but I'm really interested in this. If Nintendo can continue to show off cool stuff this thing can do and get some actual games on it then my money is theirs.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GioVANNI
    @DeeGee said:

@Jethuty said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Gabriel said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Jethuty said:

Wow, people are fucking assholes these days. Dude asks a question, and someone gives a nice reply with the information that was requested and he gets this?

Fuck. Remind me never to help anyone.

I think people thought he was being sarcastic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeeGee: i think you read it wrong, duder.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45  Edited By xpgamer7

I get it but I want more info.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By lethalki11ler
    @GioVANNI: doubt it,, i think he was just being a dick
    RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RockAction
    @CrossTheAtlantic said:
    @Roomrunner said:
    @Korwin said:

I feel we have reached an era of significant diminishing returns, and no longer one of "can it run Crysis?"  What I mean is I own Left 4 Dead 2 on computer and 360, and I still play it more on 360.  The difference in graphics aren't that big of a deal anymore.  I own Portal 2 on both platforms as well, and with that game, I can't tell the difference at all.  I feel the next generation will improve on depth in games.  AI, story, decisions, branching storylines, connectivity... not "MOAR GRAFFIX"   I'm scared of what this HD box + iPad will cost.  Although, if Kojima gets his hands on this thing, that price will be "never too much"!
    To be fair, both of those games are running off the Source engine which is quite dated despite Valve constantly doing impressive updates. Most game engines aren't making the leaps they might be able to because they're bound to what the systems can do.  That said, I don't really care about graphics. I do, however, care about the larger worlds, smarter games, etc etc that come from better tech, so I'm hoping, like you, that's the focus of the next generation.

i think what a lot of people are annoyed about is developers trying to match the PC version with the console version so there isn't a major difference; which makes sense but i think people want the technology to improve more for, as CrossTheAtlantic stated, AI and larger more dynamic and real worlds rather than just graphics, obviously graphical fidelity is the first thing that makes an impression but improved tech brings those other advancements and i think people feel bereft of that because the console life-cycle is longer than usual 

i think Wii U is actually primed for this strange elongated cycle, MS just announced a halo trilogy specifically for 360, which even on a yearly basis still means the conclusion will be 2014 so nintendo has this wide period of 3 to 4 years before any competitive platform appears - granted they still have the ipad to worry about but i think they've been clever with this introduction - although i think its not as crazy as wii was, which is a shame, this seems to be more of a consolidation than a next gen product; its ostensibly catering for the wii audience, the 360/PS3 audience and the ipad audience, and the videos make it look like it'll work but i wonder if it will  

also, i totally agree with Roomrunner about the Kojima comment
    striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By striderno9

I'm not excited for Zelda so much as I am excited for sports games with the WIIu

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bollard

Calm the fuck down mothers. It wasn't fucking serious. Jeez people are tetchy these days...

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By vaiz

And then two years pass and they reveal the HD Zelda game will be cel shaded. Spaceworld!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.