Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Seriously thinking about getting a Wii U, am I mad?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

So for a while now I've found myself drawn towards the Wii U. While the new consoles might be all flashy and new, I feel as if my PC will satisfy my need for a good while to come in regards to the PS4 and Xbox One. Yet some of the software for the Wii U tempts me, the likes of Super Mario 3D World and Windwaker HD,. However am I mad to even consider picking up a Wii U? Is it really a doomed console?

I'd like some opinions on what folks think about the Wii U (owners of the console especially).

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yes, you're completely insane for wanting one.

No, I'm kidding. The only reason I don't own one myself yet is I simply haven't had the money to buy one. I'm hoping to pick one up in the middle of the year though.

I know personally there are at least 6-7 games I'd love to play on it. As far as being doomed goes, I still think it's too early to say. I don't think 4 million in the first year means the machine is done. I think it could quite quickly pick up a bit of traction and after 4 years or so i could see it selling 25 + million. Like I said, I know I'll be picking one up.

Avatar image for captain1ndustry
    Captain1ndustry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've owned a Wii U for almost a year now, I honestly enjoy it. It doesn't have as large library as some would like but the games that are on it I have greatly enjoyed (Zombi U, both mario games, Wind Waker remake, etc.) Plus for me, its been away to cheaply discover some games I've missed out on for wii, most recently the Metroid Prime series (I really wonder how these slipped by me as they are some most refreshing shooters I've played in years). If I want to play something like COD or Assassins Creed, I've got my PC for those games. The only thing this console doesn't do is multimedia, no DVD playback and sometimes streaming performance can freeze up. In my case I also have a ps3 that serves that function. As far as it being doomed, it may be doomed in the same way the wii or gamecube were doomed, meaning that you'll have a lot of awesome 1st party stuff but not all the other "AAA" third party stuff.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

I'd say wait until E3 to see if Nintendo is planning a newer model or a price cut.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

As someone that's had it since launch, I haven't been disappointed with it. It's quietly built up a library of really good games over the past year, and this year is looking good as well. If you want one, my recommendation is to buy one.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

*looks at you*

No Caption Provided

hmmm....

heh. Nah, you're fine. The Wii U is not a crazy choice to make at this point, and if you're finding yourself more and more attracted to what it offers, then by all means pick it up. It's a videogame console that plays videogames. If you think those videogames may be games you want to play, then why not?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think if you have the disposable income and like Nintendo games you probably will have a good time with it. It's going to be your only avenue to play them, so you got a jones-ing for Mario and Zelda I don't see how it could be a bad purchase.

If nothing else it gives you access to the WiiU virtual console for Classic games like Earthbound.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't turned on my 360 or ps3 since I bought my wii u in September. If you have a decent pc, I think you're set since what I think are the best looking games for the new consoles are also coming out for pc.

You're definitely not crazy for wanting one since a lot of people I know or have read about on here have planned on getting one next Gen and a wii u.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I mean....the new Zelda is eventually going to come out and that's obviously going to be pretty awesome.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think I'd ever own a Wii U myself. However, when the chance to pick up the Wind Waker HD bundle for 200 CDN popped up, I decided to take the plunge. I figured if there are as least as many games I would buy for the console that equate to the cost of the console itself, the purchase would be justified in my head.

Ended up picking up 3D World, Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends for it as well. I've enjoyed my time with it so far, which has pretty much only been 3D World, but I guess a small regret is that my schedule doesn't allow for a lot of game playing right now, so I haven't spent as much time with the system as I maybe would've liked. All in all a solid system and by no means a black hole which you should despair about if you're thinking of purchasing... just don't expect your [overall] library to be dominated by the "massive" number of Wii U games you'll pick up.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

A good deal less than the people who bought it launch day and couldn't manage to get some much of use out of it for most of the first year, like me (others have though). It's slowly building a library, so if you can justify the purchase with the current asking price, do it. You'll get some entertainment out of it, and if you feel like it's becoming a dead console and you played all you want, sell it.

It has quality games, and more are coming, this is no Gizmondo or N-Gage here.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Well I bought a new GPU a few months back and I can't help but feel that will satisfy my needs for graphical intense third-party games right now. Even most of the first party games for PS4 and Xbox One might not be enough to make me purchase one of the new consoles just yet. Maybe I just have a craving for Nintendo's first party titles or something. I think a lot of folks see it as a GameCube situation all over again, a console to primarily play Nintendo games and the occasional unique third party game that makes it's way over here.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

It's got some good games, I enjoy mine, and though I don't use it as much as my Xbox One, that's only because I'm a battlefield addict.

The system itself is very meh, but some of the games are gold.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If you can afford it, pick one up. I bought one last fall because it actually had more exclusives that I wanted to play than either PS4 or Xbox One. I'm sure the PS4 will get exclusives that would require me picking one up eventually, beginning with inFamous Second Son. For now, the Wii U will suffice.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The Wii U is great! Buy 20 of them!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17 rmanthorp  Moderator

I need to get one at some point this year for DAT Bayonetta 2. Oh and Smash.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By crithon

dude, it's Nintendo, they are the Willy Wonka of gaming. They make stuff we go "Wha?" and want to play it. I skipped the entire gamecube gen out of rage over the N64 and I felt I missed out even if I played a good portion of it on Wii.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you like nintendo games get one, if not then dont. Simple as that

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't have a 3DS get that first.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a lot of folks see it as a GameCube situation all over again, a console to primarily play Nintendo games and the occasional unique third party game that makes it's way over here.

Umm... on the risk of pissing off fanbots, I've venture to say that's what every home console after the SNES was. N64 may have been a little better, arguably, but Wii was pretty much a third-party wasteland also.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes you are crazy for wanting to play video games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.