So Bloody Quiet - Whatever Happend to the WiiU

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It's been awfully quiet about the WiiU. I just watched a trailer for the Crysis 1 remake for console and thought, 'damn I cannot wait to see what the next generation of consoles can do'. At the end, there was the 360 and PS3 logo and suddenly the WiiU came to mind. Shouldn't the WiiU start to pop up on all these console game trailers? Being at least on-par with 360 and PS3, supposedly with a very similar architecture to the Xbox for easy ports - shouldn't Nintendo do everything to get the WiiU logo on all the hot cross platform trailers?

Currently, the WiiU is once again a bearly existant non-entity. There are games with a longer hype cycle than the WiiU will have, assuming it's coming out next year.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Seppli said:

It's been awfully quiet about the WiiU. I just watched a trailer for the Crysis 1 remake for console and thought, 'damn I cannot wait to see what the next generation of consoles can do'. At the end, there was the 360 and PS3 logo and suddenly the WiiU came to mind. Shouldn't the WiiU start to pop up on all these console game trailers? Being at least on-par with 360 and PS3, supposedly with a very similar architecture to the Xbox for easy ports - shouldn't Nintendo do everything to get the WiiU logo on all the hot cross platform trailers?

Currently, the WiiU is once again a bearly existant non-entity. There are games with a longer hype cycle than the WiiU will have, assuming it's coming out next year.

No cause chances are it wont be out for at least another year. And why would Nintendo sign games that come out soon and then wat a year for it to come out for them? Waste of money.

Are you gonna bye Crysis on WiiU if its been on the other two systems for a year all ready? Same for every other game.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Seppli said:

No cause chances are it wont be out for at least another year. And why would Nintendo sign games that come out soon and then wat a year for it to come out for them? Waste of money.

Are you gonna bye Crysis on WiiU if its been on the other two systems for a year all ready? Same for every other game.

Assuming porting from 360 is as easy as I assume it is, why wouldn't Nintendo foot the bill and get some high profile current games signed for the WiiU and make their presence known?

#4 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Seppli said:

Assuming porting from 360 is as easy as I assume it is, why wouldn't Nintendo foot the bill and get some high profile current games signed for the WiiU and make their presence known?

Cause the people who will buy a WiiU chances are have a console now. And will get said game NOW and not wait till then. It would be a waste of money for Nintendo.

And chances are they are kinda quiet because no one was raving about the WiiU most of the people where like "WTF IS THIS SHIT"

#5 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Seppli: Cause that's not how the Big N operates.

#6 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Batman Arkham City and so forth... even if they'd potentially sell just some tousand copies for WiiU a year after their initial release, it'd still be good for Nintendo to have such games on board and ride shotgun with hype-mobiles these high profile games are. Incentivizing 3rd party publisher to commit early is the hard part I guess. Nothing some oldschool bribery aka sponsoring couldn't accomplish.

Hell, with that fancy controller of theirs, the WiiU could be the perfect platform for Diablo 3. It might even outdo the classic KB&M setup for the game. Combining touchscreen with analog controls. Now a timed-exclusive for consoles on Diablo 3; that'd be a crazy win for Nintendo.

#7 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

They're still developing it.

#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

This, probably.
#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Seppli said:

Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Batman Arkham City and so forth... even if they'd potentially sell just some tousand copies for WiiU a year after their initial release, it'd still be good for Nintendo to have such games on board and ride shotgun with hype-mobiles these high profile games are.

Hell, with that fancy controller of theirs, the WiiU could be the perfect platform for Diablo 3. It might even outdo the classic KB&M setup for the game. Combining touchscreen with analog controls. Now a timed-exclusive for consoles on Diablo 3, that'd be a crazy win for Nintendo.

Selling a year old game..on a brand new platform....not a good bussness idea.

#10 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

At some time they'll have to admit that 'catiching lightning in a bottle' is not a solid business plan.

#11 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@Enigma777 said:

At some time they'll have to admit that 'catiching lightning in a bottle' is not a solid business plan.

I doubt we'll see that happen in our lifetimes though.

#12 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

Because it was just announced a few months ago at E3?

#13 Posted by Brendan (7687 posts) -

The hardware is still going through development isn't it? It would be premature to start going hard on the software front when the tech isn't finalized.

#14 Posted by Zabant (1235 posts) -

I Hate to say it but the WiiU looks like more wii. Meaning it will get played once or twice a year for what ever SINGLE first party nintendo game comes out (and even then only if its a good one, fuck kid Icarus)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.