So I played with a Wii U, today.....

#1 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I am not going to beat around the bush and I don't feel the need to write a lengthy blog post about this, but I messed around with a Wii U at Gamestop, today. If the Rayman demo is in ANY WAY indicative of what playing games on the Wii U is going to be like, I am going to pass. Constantly looking from one screen to another with little indication of when I am supposed to be looking at the gamepad instead of my TV is less than ideal. It took me a good minute and a half to figure out how to choose a level because it didn't occur to me to look away from the TV to the game pad. It just wasn't intuitive, at all.

With that said, I didn't mind the controller, at all. It's a little heavy, but some of that could be the tethering. Button placement and all that felt pretty good and it's the closest Nintendo's come to a damn normal controller since they set the standard for them with the SNES. I actually kind of liked browsing through the menus on the touch screen and then selecting what I want to do, that way. For the most part, I was pretty positive about everything until I actually played a game.

#2 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -
It took me a good minute and a half to figure out how to choose a level because it didn't occur to me to look away from the TV to the game pad.

Is there something wrong with you? It never occurred to you to look down at the screen that's part of the controller? You know, the screen that's being pushed as the biggest selling point for WiiU?

#3 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

cool on that. i'll have to see if my gamestop has one. i haven't bought a game in a while because i have all of the games i'm trying to beat.

#4 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@algertman said:

It took me a good minute and a half to figure out how to choose a level because it didn't occur to me to look away from the TV to the game pad.

Is there something wrong with you? It never occurred to you to look down at the screen that's part of the controller? You know, the screen that's being pushed as the biggest selling point for WiiU?

Why would it make sense to put half the "level select" process on the second screen? Up to that point, I picked my "outfit" and jumped into the painting without needing to look at the second screen. I just assumed I was missing something, which I obviously was. The point is there was nothing on the TV screen to indicate I needed to refer to the controller screen. The whole process just felt very cumbersome and pointless.

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

Looks to me that you had already decided you won't like the Wii U and you were looking for confirmation. That's cool, I guess. To each their own.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@algertman said:

Why would it make sense to put half the "level select" process on the second screen? Up to that point, I picked my "outfit" and jumped into the painting without needing to look at the second screen. I just assumed I was missing something, which I obviously was. The point is there was nothing on the TV screen to indicate I needed to refer to the controller screen. The whole process just felt very cumbersome and pointless.

Why wouldn't it? Haven't you ever played a DS game before?

#7 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Looks to me that you had already decided you won't like the Wii U and you were looking for confirmation. That's cool, I guess. To each their own.

I like games. Wii U will in all likelihood get games that I am going to want to play, which means I will probably end up buying one at some point. I just found the constant switching from looking at my TV to looking at the controller disorienting. Could be that I just don't like this whole "second screen experience" that everyone is going to be toying with in the future.

@Hailinel said:

@BionicRadd said:

@algertman said:

Why wouldn't it? Haven't you ever played a DS game before?

That's a fair point, except with the DS, both screens are right in front of me. The level select thing didn't bother me as much as the constant switching while I was playing did.

#8 Posted by Live2bRighteous (306 posts) -

Basically, the only complaint you have about the Wii U at the moment is that you didn't know what to do with it.

Nice.

#9 Edited by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

@JoeyRavn said:

I like games. Wii U will in all likelihood get games that I am going to want to play, which means I will probably end up buying one at some point. I just found the constant switching from looking at my TV to looking at the controller disorienting. Could be that I just don't like this whole "second screen experience" that everyone is going to be toying with in the future.

In the future? That's how a 3/DS works, and those handhelds have been pretty popular for the last few years. Sure, the screens on the 3/DS are much closer to each other than the one on the WiiU gamepad and the TV, but the way they both work is the same. You'll seldom have to switch frenetically from one to the other.

I don't really get how it took you 90 seconds to look at the gamepad screen when that is the whole selling point of the console. And you can also set the game to be displayed only on the gamepad, AFAIK. And most games that work with the Wii and classic-style gamepads will play just like any other console game.

#10 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1854 posts) -

This seems like a growing pains problem, I think it would be a poor assumption that games in the future will have this problem, either because everyone who ones the system will be used to it or they will realise that people need some sort of indicator.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@BionicRadd: That's still user error on your part for ignoring the most touted feature of the new console. Did it never occur to you in all of the marketing, preview coverage, and other media about the Wii U and its games that some titles might have you splitting your attention between the TV and the controller screen just a fair bit?

#12 Edited by Zor (653 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@BionicRadd said:

@JoeyRavn said:

In the future? That's how a 3/DS works, and those handhelds have been pretty popular for the last few years. Sure, the screens on the 3/DS are much closer to each other than the one on the WiiU gamepad and the TV, but the way they both work is the same. You'll seldom have to switch frenetically from one to the other. I don't really get how it took you 90 seconds to look at the gamepad screen when that is the whole selling point of the console. You can also set the game to be displayed only on the gamepad, AFAIK. And most games that work with the Wii and classic-style gamepads will play just like any other console game.

I am guessing that if the controller wasn't tied down at gamestop, he would have been able to angle it so that he could see both screens at the same time, which might have helped the experience.

(assuming it was tied down, i haven't been to gamestop in a while, so i don't know their setup).

#13 Posted by GalacticPunt (983 posts) -

I found the controller to be surprisingly light for its size. Pretty ergonomic too. I wasn't confused while scrolling through the game list, but I do wonder what's the point in making the big TV useless during menus? Was kind of silly that everything but Rayman just had trailers, there's this thing called the "internet" for game trailers now.

Rayman Legends looked great, mainly because of its art style. I haven't played Rayman Origins, so I couldn't say if it looks any better in comparison. I jumped right into the rhythm-platformer level, which was some kind of Sim-lish rendition of the song "Black Betty." Only died once, mostly nailed it with an audience of eight gathered around me. At the song's finale they just dispersed, instead of applauding me as "The Wizard" of our times...

Anyway, this one gameplay demo begged the question, again, of "why have a second tiny screen in your hands when you have a big-ass TV in front of you?" The gameplay was dependent on never taking your eyes off the television, so the screen in my hands was not even glanced at, just draining battery power.

#14 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@algertman said:

Don't be an ass, making you select a big thing like a level on the controller sounds like bad design.

#15 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

@GalacticPunt said:

I found the controller to be surprisingly light for its size. Pretty ergonomic too. I wasn't confused while scrolling through the game list, but I do wonder what's the point in making the big TV useless during menus? Was kind of silly that everything but Rayman just had trailers, there's this thing called the "internet" for game trailers now.

Rayman Legends looked great, mainly because of its art style. I haven't played Rayman Origins, so I couldn't say if it looks any better in comparison. I jumped right into the rhythm-platformer level, which was some kind of Sim-lish rendition of the song "Black Betty." Only died once, mostly nailed it with an audience of eight gathered around me. At the song's finale they just dispersed, instead of applauding me as "The Wizard" of our times...

Anyway, this one gameplay demo begged the question, again, of "why have a second tiny screen in your hands when you have a big-ass TV in front of you?" The gameplay was dependent on never taking your eyes off the television, so the screen in my hands was not even glanced at, just draining battery power.

In the Wii U Rayman you do use the controller screen. In the demo I played you had to use it to extend paths or cut ropes. You can also fondle your character but he does not react to that I found out. ;(

#16 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

I wan to like the Wii U, yet the idea of switching back and forth between a handheld screen and a TV seems like a total chore.

#17 Edited by Dogma (942 posts) -

I also find the controller pretty light and I have tried it without and with tethering cable. It makes a difference. I really like the feel of the plastic on the back of the controller too.

I have also played Rayman Legend BUT not alone so I can't speak how that feels like since I've played with up to two others players. I really like the cool ways Murphy the fly is used. I feel like he has a point apposed to the second player in for example Mario Galaxy. I also LOVED the gyro sensor parts of that demo stage with a rotating plattform labyrinth. That felt awesome!

I also totallt sold on Pikmin 3. BUT the important thing here is that it's very much like old Pikmin but I really liked how the Wii remote gave superfast controll (had not played New play controll version on Wii) and it's just fun! It scrathed an itch for new Pikmin games. I can't wait until this game comes out. That could be the game that actually makes me choose to get the system.

I'm NOT sold on New Super Mario Bros. U but I have only played three demo stages. I'm much more positive to Rayman than the new Mario game.

And last but not least. Nintendoland has some really entertaining minigames, mainly those that make you cooparate or pit you against each other in different ways. Assymetrical gameplay has it's potential! I had a blast with that game last evening BUT can't say much more because I'm under NDA/embargo for the full version.

That's my two cents but I think the Wii U has proved itself to me quite a bit since a finally got to try it out.

#18 Posted by SSully (4059 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@BionicRadd: That's still user error on your part for ignoring the most touted feature of the new console. Did it never occur to you in all of the marketing, preview coverage, and other media about the Wii U and its games that some titles might have you splitting your attention between the TV and the controller screen just a fair bit?

It's fine to split your attention, but it doesn't seem to make sense to have a split in some areas and not the others. Also this complaint is something that has been heard from numerous games journalists, including the giantbomb crew. So did it ever occur to you that maybe this is just an inherent problem with the system that hasn't been worked out yet?

#19 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Me personally, I think the Demo Kiosks should have had Nintendo Land and not Rayman Legends. Sure Rayman Legends will be a great game, but it really doesn't show off what the Wii U can do.

#20 Posted by Sargus (705 posts) -

@BionicRadd said:

With that said, I didn't mind the controller, at all. It's a little heavy, but some of that could be the tethering.

A lot of the weight is the tethering. The GamePad is very light when it's wireless.

And I think if your only complaint with the system so far is that you're unsure of which screen to look at, you should look at it again. Either most games so far make it perfectly clear, or you adjust to switching between them very quickly. I personally haven't had any such problems. Then again, I've played a lot of DS games over the years, so I'm used to the concept.

#21 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (510 posts) -

Ironically, I was pretty down on the Wii U then I played Rayman Legends at a demo kiosk and was really impressed by it. I didn't really have a problem of knowing when to look down at pad, the game looks beautiful, and I liked the way touch and motion controls were integrated into the game.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (22704 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@JJOR64 said:

Me personally, I think the Demo Kiosks should have had Nintendo Land and not Rayman Legends. Sure Rayman Legends will be a great game, but it really doesn't show off what the Wii U can do.

I'll bet that the NintendoLand stuff would require you to move the controller around a bunch, which isn't going to work with a tethered controller on a demo kiosk.

Depends on the game, honestly. The Zelda-themed game is pretty motion intensive, but the Luigi's Mansion game doesn't require that much.

#23 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@BionicRadd said:

@JoeyRavn said:

In the future? That's how a 3/DS works, and those handhelds have been pretty popular for the last few years. Sure, the screens on the 3/DS are much closer to each other than the one on the WiiU gamepad and the TV, but the way they both work is the same. You'll seldom have to switch frenetically from one to the other.

I don't really get how it took you 90 seconds to look at the gamepad screen when that is the whole selling point of the console. And you can also set the game to be displayed only on the gamepad, AFAIK. And most games that work with the Wii and classic-style gamepads will play just like any other console game.

Yep and both screens on the DS are in my sight line. I own and love my DS Lite. The PS4 is rumored to use the Vita as a second screen and MS is already toying with this kind of stuff through Smart Glass. That's what I mean by in the future. The reason it took me a bit to look at the screen was there no logical reason to have put the third step of selecting a level on the gamepad when I made the first two choices (jumping into the painting, picking a character) on the TV with no attention given to the controller at all. Prior to trying it out, I actually thought I would love the second screen stuff. It seems like a natural evolution of the VMU on the Dreamcast, which I also loved. My problem with the Wii U was that, plain and simple, constantly switching from one screen to another just wasn't fun. Doesn't mean other people won't like it, but it is clearly not for me.

#24 Posted by McLargepants (333 posts) -

Some harsh people here... Damn... but seriously though, it could be used in a good way, it could be used in a bad way. Some of not looking at your controller is going to be habit, but if the game doesn't help you along that learning process, that's bad design. If he's choosing options on the TV screen, then all of a sudden the menu is on the controller, that's not OPs fault, that's bad design. You can't compare stuff like that to the 3/DS, you don't have to look away for that, and I'm not going to hold my Wii U remote so that its screen and the TV screen are in line together so I can look at both without moving my eye line.

#25 Posted by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

A friend of mine tried the Wii U out recently and he surprisingly had similar issues. If it was any other person I would have probably brushed the comment off but this dude is a fairly seasoned gamer. On top of that a fair number of people I know working at stores that sell the Wii U have told me that there's a pretty good chance I can just walk in and buy one launch day. I'm probably going to hold onto my preorder but all these conflicting opinions have put me into a bit of a cautious state of mind. I suppose the worst case scenario being I only buy Nintendo games isn't all that bad.

#26 Posted by Giantstalker (1445 posts) -

I'm going to have to mirror the sentiment of the original poster. Played one earlier this afternoon, and the secondary screen setup felt more confusing than empowering. I wasn't going to buy a WiiU anytime soon anyway, but the initial impression of its "main feature" didn't seem very favorable to me.

#27 Posted by killacam (1282 posts) -

lotsa peeps gettin reaalllll defensive up in here.. i gotta say, i agree with OP from my brief experience with the wii u and rayman legends. the gamepad stuff was gimmicky and less fun than simply controlling rayman.. but this isn't to say i've written off the wii u. i'm sure there will be games that utilize it "better". i think the point of this thread is that first impressions were underwhelming.

#28 Edited by Stepside (506 posts) -

@algertman said:

Wow what a douche comment. Chill out, nerd rage.

And @BionicRadd: - thanks for the info man. I'm interested to play around with it soon.

#29 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@algertman said:

That 2nd screen is stupid, what if I want to play with a pro controller only.

#30 Posted by Ducksworth (656 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@algertman said:

That 2nd screen is stupid, what if I want to play with a pro controller only.

A think a good number of games already offer the option of using the pro controller but it's like the DS. If a game is designed around the use all the capabilities the pad offers (like Zombie U) then you'll have to take it or leave it.

#31 Posted by Blastroid (257 posts) -

I want the Wii for the co-op gaming side of the U. Multi console port games should not require you to use the screen at all except for gimmicks that you can play without (alt map view for example). I do think for the Wii U titles I will be waiting for a review or at least a preview write up before buying the game.

In the end the design choice is with the game creator and not Nintendo unless the game was designed by Nintendo of course. There is bad design and good design. To make your choice on a couple of poorly designed games does not make sense. To wait until and see when good designed games hit the market might be a better choice before closing the door on the Wii U at this early stage.

#32 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

From what I've heard people say, it seems that it actually is a problem knowing when to look at the screen on your controller and not the TV, so I think people should give the OP a break.

I haven't used one myself yet, so I can't say how I feel about the issue personally. Hopefully I can soon, though.

#33 Posted by OneManX (1662 posts) -

I think a simple way of fixing this, short of just outright saying, "Hey... look at the other screen!" or maybe the TV screen could dim or some sort of other cue. I agree with the OP and feel like that is gonna be the bigger problem is, when a person should or shouldn't be looking at the TV screen or Controller pad.

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9372 posts) -

I took a quick look at it at a Best Buy today. I didn't play any games but I held the controller and it felt good in my hands. The weight didn't seem to bad either. The buttons and sticks felt really nice and the screen looks good. So there's that at least.

#35 Posted by CircleNine (380 posts) -

With the way I would hold a controller while sitting down and playing games, it would be difficult to clearly see both screens at the same time which wasn't an issue on the DS/3DS because they're right next to each other. Unless I were to hold up the controller like I was looking through a camera while playing a game (not comfortable at all to do for an extended period of time while gaming) this might be a really big issue that I'm going to have with the system. If it becomes like a lot of DS games that just had touchscreen support totally shoehorned in and done in such a way that its detrimental to the overall experience that'll be a horrible thing. But on the other hand if it was like some other games where its just putting up statistics or something the main gimmick of having a touchscreen controller becomes pointless. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up panning out, but I'm definitely holding out before I think about picking up a WiiU with all of the concerns I have about it.

#36 Posted by metroidmen (17 posts) -

If that IS your prime complaint, blame the game. Look up videos of ZombiU, it tells you exactly when you need to look at the game pad.

#37 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

@algertman said:

I'm laughing at the fact that you will make this exact same mistake. Will you remember chastising someone who made this mistake the first time they played on the console? Who knows. But you probably won't appreciate the irony either way.

#38 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

Boooooooooooooo !

#39 Posted by AngelN7 (2959 posts) -

Oh boy, Wii U apologist! so that's a thing.

#40 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Oh boy, Wii U apologist! so that's a thing.

I know right? I'm amazed people think that it would be a smooth experience watching two screens when one is in your lap.

Unless everyone here games with their controller held up to their TV.

#41 Posted by Gladiator_Games (435 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon: Well.. some people game like some people hold guns. Most people game with the controller in their lap. Some people hold it up. And the rare breed hold them like the fella from Doom... all broken toothed from recoil / rumble packs..

#42 Posted by beeftothetaco (418 posts) -

I'm not sure why everyone is giving you so much shit over the second screen thing. Could it have been made a little more obvious to look at the second screen? Probably. Is it fair to base your first impression of the WiiU on this experience? Absolutely. Is Rayman indicative of how ALL WiiU games are going to play like? Probably not. So why the fuck is everyone suddenly a Nintendo fanboy and saying that it's your fault for how your experience went?

#43 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

@Live2bRighteous said:

Basically, the only complaint you have about the Wii U at the moment is that you didn't know what to do with it.

Nice.

Jesus, why so harsh? I completely agree with the op, looking at a screen on my lap and at my tv at the same time sounds clunky.

#44 Posted by Jolt92 (1529 posts) -

I kinda agree. Played with the behemoth-controllerthing, Rayman Legends demo. Not very fun to do the touch screen stuff, I'd rather do the plattforming, but I'm hopefull they'll get the hang of it.

But I can still see that it may be very fun in a less controlled environment and with someone else on the couch playing along with you. I'm not decided on the whole thing, but I'm very skeptical.

Not getting one for some time. Rayman seems fun (touching aside), so does Mario and Zombi U.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.