So, I want to buy a Wii U

#1 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

Does that make me some kind of monster? I've always been a fan of Nintendo and their products, but all the news that has been coming from that side of the gaming world hasn't been positive. What opinions do people who own a Wii U have? Additionally, if you own one, does the Wii U play Wii and Gamecube games?

Much appreciated for any input!

#2 Posted by johncallahan (582 posts) -

Make you a monster? Not at all. Of all three current-gen consoles, the argument that the Wii U has the best games can easily be made. Pikman 3, Super Mario 3D World, the best version of Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, and a bunch more. Is the Wii U doing gangbusters, no, but for right now, yeah I'd absolutely say its worth it.

As far as playing Wii/GC games, I know it plays Wii games, I'm not sure on GC games, but I don't think so.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

Yes it does. I'm already rousing the mob and we are currently at the local hardware store buying our pitchforks and torches. We should be at your house in 1-2 hours. Don't run. We will find you.

#4 Edited by Illuminosopher (334 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing: I really enjoy it but it does need some more games, but the fact that you can play wii games (no gamecube) and you have access to the wii virtual console (which you can transfer over from an old wii) makes it worthwhile to have there are a lot of good wii games and of course a lot of great classic games.

#5 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

Yes it does. I'm already rousing the mob and we are currently at the local hardware store buying our pitchforks and torches. We should be at your house in 1-2 hours. Don't run. We will find you.

:(

#6 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

No buyers remorse here. Even if Wii U goes the way of the Dreamcast it still has more games I want to play on it than both PS4 and XboxOne put together. Most of the games I have bought used, even found some Wiimotes and a pro controller at a discount from gamestop. Already have a back log of games I havent had time to play yet.

#7 Edited by RonGalaxy (3222 posts) -

There is a special place in hell for people who buy Wii U's.

Kidding aside, if you like nintendo games buy it! That's what it'll, mostly, be for. For me, I've lived without nintendo games for this long, so getting a Wii U is, personally, silly. That's just me though!

Also, it plays wii games but doesn't play gamecube. Playing wii games is kind of weird in that the wii u, seems, to be emulating the entire wii OS. Like, you have to open a special wii only app to play wii games and it beings you to the familiar wii os to do it.

#8 Posted by Poonz (138 posts) -

I just got one for Christmas. I'm at the end of Super Mario World 3D playing with my fiancee and were both loving it. Wish there was a bigger library of games but, we both can't wait for Mario Kart hopefully this year. And I got the Wind Waker bundle so it'll be nice to play that.

#9 Edited by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

I love my Wii U. Mario 3D World is crazy good, and I love that I was able to transfer all my Wii stuff to it. I'm also a big fan of the play it on the pad or on the TV flexibility. I can sit with my wife playing Mario while watching TV at the same time.

#10 Posted by CByrne (241 posts) -

If you like it and want it, go for it. Just know what you are getting into. The more people that own them the better chance the system will have.

#11 Posted by Mittt (46 posts) -

You a fan of Nintendo, you say?

Then you should probably buy a WiiU.

#12 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

It's your money, do whatever the fuck you want with it

#13 Posted by symbyosys (14 posts) -

I recently picked up a 3DS and was instantly reminded of how much FUN Nintendo games are. I didn't think I would be using it nearly as much, but I bring that with me everywhere. I'm getting a WiiU Zelda bundle as soon as I can, and I can't wait to play Metroid Prime with an HDMI cable.

As primarily a PC gamer, the PS4 or Xbone doesn't have much to impress me yet. I will get more enjoyment out of Pikmin, Mario, and Wii games than anything they can offer yet that I can't do on my PC. Metal Gear Solid V is coming to PS3 anyway which is the only title I care for in the near future on that front.

The Dreamcast isn't an apt comparison to the WiiU. Nintendo can post losses like they have and still hold more capital than a few republics, not to mention eShop / VC features alone.

#14 Edited by MiguelItUp (17 posts) -

That doesn't make you a monster at all! I ended up buying a Wii U close to launch since my original Wii died, and I figured it'd be silly to repair it or buy a new one with the Wii U being out. I've played some decent games, however I'll be honest and say that it is probably my least played console. It's downstairs so my wife and I are generally using it for Netflix majority of the time. BUT, we have been playing New Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 3D World as much as possible as of late, while still trying to make them last. The system is definitely coming around IMO, and many other interesting games are on their way out. Can't wait for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Smash Brothers!

#15 Posted by A_E_Martin (274 posts) -

I got one at launch and haven't regretted it one bit. I skipped the Wii, so I've also been catching up with some of the few games made for that system that interested me, and so my Wii U has been in use a fair amount over the past year.

It doesn't support GameCube games, unfortunately.

#16 Posted by EndlessObsidian (477 posts) -

I bought a 32GB version about a month ago along with Super Mario 3D World, ZombiU and a Pro Controller. Zombiu makes great use of the gamepad and is very atmospheric and Mario in HD is just glorious. I bought Wind Waker HD a few nights ago on the eShop and can honestly say it's one of the nicest looking games I've played. I hear great things about Pikman 3 and The Wonderful 101 as well.

That being said, it certainly looks like Nintendo's vision of the Wii U isn't going in the direction they sought. Already we are seeing a lack of 3rd party support. So unless the Wii U starts booming I can't see that changing anytime soon. However, if you like Nintendo made games than I say go for it.

Also, The Pro Controller is really really nice.

#17 Posted by Rejizzle (345 posts) -

Wii U seems pretty good to me, and with games like Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong, and Smash Bros. on the horizon 2014 seems to be shaping up nicely for the ol' Wii U.

#18 Posted by BigJeffrey (5078 posts) -

Your a monster for wanting to play video games?

#19 Posted by LastThingYouSee (14 posts) -

The Wii U show every sign of the dying phase, like the days of the Saturn and Dreamcast. Don't know if it's the smartest purchase, might want to wait until Nintendo marks it down again, and they will. EA says they considered it dead very early on, and that's not good when 3rd parties are saying things like that, and the corrections Nintendo had to make to their market forecast were pretty bleak, surprised even me, and I was expecting something big.

I used to be a big N fan, but my Wii as the first console I ever sold, Nintendo abandoned core gamers like me to court old people and parents. Then started making WEAK gaming machines. Don't care what your controller is, you have to have some GPU horsepower to stay relevant.

#20 Edited by Reisz (1517 posts) -

Keep the dream alive!

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

Mario 3D World is fantastic and so is the HD remake of Wind Waker. However after finishing those two I haven't really bought any more games for it. Next on my list is Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, which I'm hoping would last me until games on the other platforms release.

It does however play Wii games but you need to have a Wiimote for them. But if you want to buy Virtual console games you'll need to buy another controller for some of them. Also to buy them you need points which are a different curreency then what you use to buy WiiU digital games. The whole thing is a mess. They need to migrate all the Wii Virtual console games over to the WiiU shop and give them all controller support

#22 Posted by coljae (14 posts) -

I keep getting a strong urge to buy one too. I just don't know how low the price is going to get, this week it is available at £179($295) but I have a voice in my head telling me it's going to get lower than that and to hold on.

This chain of thought makes me feel like a monster as well.

#23 Posted by Guesty_01 (371 posts) -

Yes, you're an absolute animal for wanting a system with some solid exclusive games on it. Animal I tell you.

#24 Edited by TechnoSyndrome (942 posts) -

The Wii U is going to have the most worthwhile exclusives of the three platforms, so I wouldn't say it's dumb. It's only a stupid purchase if you intend it to be your only console, since it won't be getting all the multiplatform games the PC/PS4/Xbone will have.

I have a Wii U and five games for it plus a couple e-shop purchases, but the only games I've really loved for it so far are The Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World. Those alone have me pretty satisfied with my purchase, as long as there's one game already out I really want to play and more on the horizon I feel fine buying a console. Miiverse is pretty cool too, and I've probably spent almost as much time browsing it as I have playing actual games.

#25 Edited by Torrim (337 posts) -

Right now, I'm looking to get a Wii U myself. I like to wait a while before I get a console anyway because the bloat of games I haven't played and have dropped in price is at that sweet spot to jump in.

I got a PS2 four months after launch and had a tough time building my library. When I got the XBox is 2007 I was able to grab a handful of 20 to 30 dollar games as I could get them before dropping the wad on the system itself. Needless to say I had a pretty good variety.

My last point, though, is if I was rich I would totally get all of these games and systems day one. On well!

#26 Edited by OverlordSteph (4 posts) -

Just wait for the price to go down, its already gone down here in the UK. That is the best thing about companies that are haemorrhaging money/stock at the speed of light. Personally i don't own one but i have been pondering the concept of owning one since Nintendo's recent affairs.

#27 Posted by Driadon (3001 posts) -

I love my Wii U. ZombiU is really unique, I've been playing Black Flag on it (which I got for free, so may be a little biased there), plus Monster Hunter is really why I got it and I don't regret that one bit.

#28 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1622 posts) -

Thanks for all the input everyone.

#29 Edited by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

You can't deny that it has more games than either of the new gen consoles. PS4 has practically nothing worth playing, Xbox One has definitely a few games worth playing, but Wii U (probably because it's been on the market for longer) has a lot more to offer. The question is more about the future. But, if more people actually bought the console knowing that it had the most games, more games would be made for it and this wouldn't be an issue. I really hope Wii U gets some more sales too. I feel it might be something like the Vita where people didn't buy it for a while but it's starting to pick up.

#30 Posted by MegaLombax (395 posts) -

I've been wanting to get a WiiU but I can't find anyone selling them anywhere here :(

I'm in Malaysia btw.

#31 Posted by madroxcide (67 posts) -

I'm bouncing back and forth with buying a Wii U as well. I have a gaming PC and with more stuff also coming out on PC as well as the consoles I don't really need an xbox one or ps4. The Wii U offers different experiences you can't really get anywhere else and I think that's why I'm so interested in it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.