Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

So nintendo is abandoning motion control?

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sreya92

That's essentially what I got out of the Wii U. It seems they discovered motion control was a bust in terms of viable gameplay (don't talk to me about Wii Hardware sales that doesn't mean motion control is good) and have gone the way of touch screens...which leads me to the question why not just use buttons like we've been using. I know Nintendo is trying to be innovative but can anyone explain to me how the Wii U offers something that the Xbox 360 and PS3 doesn't already, besides playing your games on a tablet screen which is kind of lame since your already playing on a big screen?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By musclerider

I'm pretty sure the Wii U thing still has some form of motion control in it (shield demo). Also apparently each Wii U is only going to use one of those new controllers and the rest will be wiimotes so it doesn't seem like Nintendo is abandoning it at all.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dingofighter

Unlimited buttons!

Well, maybe not unlimited, but as many as you can fit on the touchscreen.

And they aren't really real buttons as they are just virtual buttons...

But still, you can use the screen for gameplay purposes, minigames could maybe be played on it, and you still have real buttons on the controller.

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By sreya92

...so in other words it's the WiiHD w/Ipad substitute?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai

Wii U games are guaranteed to support Wii Remotes and the WiiPad has motion controls so the answer is no. Motion controls aren't going away and they'll eventually be perfected.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Wii U supports Wii Remotes. And the Wii U controller has gyroscopes and accelerometers and whatnot for motion controls itself. They're not doing away with it, they're just taking the focus off it. And I think that's all that really needs to be done. Motion controls can work, but they aren't always appropriate for every single game. And the dual analogue controls of the Wii U controller means that there is a conventional control method available out of the box. It's the best of both worlds, really.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

What? No. The Wii U uses the Wiimotes and the new Wii U controller uses forms of motion control as well. I guess what the Wii U offers is a far more accessible experience to people outside of conventional gaming, a library of Nintendo games that can't be found on other systems, and forms of interfacing that count be found on other consoles.

CagePlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CagePlay
    @MattyFTM I agree, best of both worlds definetely.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phish09

Wii U is still a motion control, but now it has the functionality of a regular controller too, and then some.

Thundermunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Thundermunch

Yeah they're not abandoning motion control by a long shot but what they are doing is trying to appeal to a wide variety of gamers with the controller having shoulder buttons and triggers and analogue sticks so that they can get the Call of Duty's of the world to release on the Wii U not requiring having Motion Controlled Functionality to try and bring back the core, getting people who play DS games onto the Wii U with the touch screen and stylus set up and then keeping with the casual with the motion controlled mini game collections they just can't get enough of!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.