Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Sticking with the Wii U this year.

• 87 results
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I don't really need either of the new consoles as I have a good PC to play a lot of the upcoming next/cross gen games. I have gotten a Wii U recently to play a bunch of new games. I'm far more excited about Sonic, Mario, The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin next week (europe) than I am another Killzone or Dead Rising.

I bet there will be a looooong wait for anything amazing to be released exclusively on those systems, just like there always is.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#52  Edited By Slag

@darji said:

@darthorange said:

... Every game I want to play this fall is coming out on Wii U (and Vita). I am probably one of the few people on this site that still enjoys playing local muliplayer/ coop and at the moment Nintendo are some of the few still releasing these kinds of games. ...

So is anyone else skipping out on the PS4 and Xbox One this year because of the week software? Is anyone else on this site really enjoying the Wii U? Anyone? Bueller?

If you think that lineup is weak why did you even buy a Wii U already? Sorry it is your opinion but it doesn't make any sense.

let me save Darthorange some time here since the answer to your question to him was in your quote of him.

He owns a WiiU because he likes the lineup on the WiiU. He has been mentioning this for a while. He even had a blog recently about how much he was surprised by and that he enjoyed their E3 announcements.

Pretty straightforward.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@slag: Again when he thinks the PS4 or Xbone has a weak line up why did he buy a Wii U a while ago? Why did he not wait until there were games out he wants to play. Why is it now different for the Ps4/Xbone even he admits he loves Sony games. It just makes no sense to already own a Wii U with his argumentation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji: Why do you care? You just want to shit on his opinion?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji: Why do you care? You just want to shit on his opinion?

I want to understand his opinion or better argumentation. But so far his reasoning is pretty weak. Sounds more liek a Come on guys the Wii U is not that bad so please buy one..

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#56  Edited By musubi

I won't be getting either console at launch but I also won't be investing in the WiiU at all. Its just not for me. I don't care about anything Nintendo is doing over there and have yet to get any exclusives that make me jealous.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: This coming from the guy that used the changing settings of Call of Duty stories to demonstrate its greater evolution than Mario. Spare me, Darji. Spare us all.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@slag: Again when he thinks the PS4 or Xbone has a weak line up why did he buy a Wii U a while ago? Why did he not wait until there were games out he wants to play. Why is it now different for the Ps4/Xbone even he admits he loves Sony games. It just makes no sense to already own a Wii U with his argumentation.

again the answer lies within, read a little further

... I am probably one of the few people on this site that still enjoys playing local muliplayer/ coop and at the moment Nintendo are some of the few still releasing these kinds of games. Of the games releasing this year nothing on Xbox One looked appealing and the only thing on PS4 that really had my attention is Knack but that game looks like it is going to drop like a rock in price by early next year at the latest.

Pretty straightforward man. And he's right the X1 and PS4 really don't have many (any?) local multiplayer focused games in their launch lineups. You may not agree with what games he likes, but his reasoning for his own tastes is sound.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The only Wii U games that interest me this year are Windwaker and Donkey Kong, so I'm sure as hell not sticking with that. If anything I'll be satisfied with my 360 and PS3.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: This coming from the guy that used the changing settings of Call of Duty stories to demonstrate its greater evolution than Mario. Spare me, Darji. Spare us all.

I do not know if you know that as a nintendo fan but creating a Story, new Cutscenes and settings takes a lot of time and effort. Much more than create new Levels without any context in the same engine just in HD.

@slag Fair Enough but it has nothing really to do with the line up since the Wii U lineup still is very very weak. I is jsut strange since he calls himself the arguable biggest Sony Fanboy but can not see the appeal alone there^^

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Hailinel

@darji: Right, because designing eight or so worlds worth of side-scrolling Mario levels is that easily comparable to designing FPS maps. Sure.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji: Right, because designing eight or so worlds worth of side-scrolling Mario levels is that easily comparable to designing FPS maps. Sure.

You should play more fan made platformers. These fans make awesome level in a few days and they are doing it with 1 or 2 people.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Can you point to these games and confirm specifics, or is this just more of your enraged lunacy?

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#64  Edited By Superkenon

@darji: One thing you are right about: CoD games are extremely resource-intensive to make. The budgets they have for those titles are damn ridiculous, and it becomes an effort that spans across numerous companies and partners. While Nintendo has much smaller budgets and tends to make their games in-house with relatively small teams.

I wasn't aware we were living in a world where the bigger budget automatically means it's the better game, but hey. Love what you love. But allow other people to love what they love too.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Darji

@hailinel: I do not have much time since I need to get up early tomorrow but just really quick some small examples and games made by one guy.

Loading Video...

This one even has archivements, online multiplayer and so on.

Loading Video...

Or Skyrim Mod made by one Person in one year

Loading Video...

Just to show you example how involved fans can be and even can create better designed games than the original has.

And Lastly a fan hack of Mario Brothers Wii. Look alone at this level design.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Hailinel

@darji: And what do any of those games have to do with SMB level design? How does a Skyrim mod make your point?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Darji

@hailinel: I even edited in the Mario Wii hack. And it just shows that level design does not take so long especially not with a much bigger team. Again these were made mostly by one person. Creating a new setting, engaging characters and a story takes way longer than just create new levels with level design tools these people did not even have.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: It's a professional debating trick. Keep producing tangents to throw the argument off track, until the other guy gives up.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

You know what I like? Video games. You know, fun games that you can play alone or with other people. I'm in it to have fun. It's interesting to learn about how these games are made, and debate the merits of one platform over the other, but the bottom line for myself (and maybe @darthorange as well) is that I'll go wherever the fun is.

With that in mind, most of this thread is literally the worst thing in the world.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#70  Edited By DarthOrange

@darji said:

Welp Slag and I'm guessing most others were able to read the OP and answer all the questions you have but as for why I bought one at launch, there are a lot of Wii games I never played. I still have a copy of Galaxy that I haven't played yet. As for your argument about New Super Mario Bros. U,have you played it?The stuff they did with the baby Yoshi's was pretty neat. Also playing through it with two players is really the way it was meant to be played. If you have four characters it is chaos and one character is lonely but two is really that sweet spot where the game shines.

@darji said:

IT is not that I hate Nintendo but rather criticize them while other people are still blinded by nostalgia. People always talk about how COD or Assassins Creed is always the same game but if Nintendo does it they get mostly a pass from these people? Why? Because they are blinded by nostalgia.

Maybe some people are but I have not actively played Nintendo games since the SNES. I have never played a Zelda game at all, nor a Pikman game. By all means though, you are free to criticize Nintendo just like others are free to criticize Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty.

@darji said:

If you think that lineup is weak why did you even buy a Wii U already? Sorry it is your opinion but it doesn't make any sense.

• Pikman 3
    • Wonderful 101
    • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
    • Sonic Lost World
    • Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON”T KNOW!
    • Lego Marvel

All these games look pretty neat, and only one of them (Lego Marvel) is coming to PS4/Xbox One. That along with some stuff on Vita are probably more then I will have time to play this year.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud said:

You know what I like? Video games. You know, fun games that you can play alone or with other people. I'm in it to have fun. It's interesting to learn about how these games are made, and debate the merits of one platform over the other, but the bottom line for myself (and maybe @darthorange as well) is that I'll go wherever the fun is.

With that in mind, most of this thread is literally the worst thing in the world.

Nah. There is a lot of passion, and even if it is misguided it is always nice to see. At least it hasn't devolved into hateful speech and personal attacks (for the most part).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: I really was not talking about the future lineup. The future line up is decent but everything before is not really decent. I just fail to see why you bought a Wii U for 300$ already with such a weak line up (Not the future one) and argue the same weak line up about the PS4 even you claim to be a Playstation fan and you already know that you will be treated very very nicely in terms of Sony made games with the PS4.. That part just do not make really sense to me.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#73  Edited By jeffrud

@darji: It sounds like you and the OP are of different minds about a few Wii U games, which is fine. OP had fun with NSMBU, the circumstances surrounding that game having practically zero bearing on that fun, and the knowledge that a steady stream of solid first party games was pretty much a given as it is a Nintendo console. I imagine the early days of the Miiverse alone were crazy enough for some to justify the expense. Hell, I'd have jumped in just on the strengths of the Podtoid takeover of the Raving Rabbits Miiverse.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I guess looking at the rest of the year, the Wii U looks pretty good, especially compared to the first half of '13. The Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong and Mario will be added to my collection this year for sure and 2014 is looking like a solid year for Nintendo.

For me at least, I'm avoiding the PS4 and Xbone in favor of the PC/Wii U combo. The PC covers just about everything the Sony and Microsoft consoles will offer next-gen.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange said:

. I have never played a Zelda game at all, nor a Pikman game.

ah duder, you gotta fix that ASAP.

If nothing else see if you can get your hands on Zelda: Four Swords. Pretty rad local multiplayer game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hailinel: I even edited in the Mario Wii hack. And it just shows that level design does not take so long especially not with a much bigger team. Again these were made mostly by one person. Creating a new setting, engaging characters and a story takes way longer than just create new levels with level design tools these people did not even have.

Anyone can design a Mario lever. Not just anyone can design an entire game's worth of Mario levels.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Darji

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

Anyone can design a Mario lever. Not just anyone can design an entire game's worth of Mario levels.

This is a game with 8 Worlds. And if you look at that game and official Nintendo levels you wont see a difference except the fan stuff is a bit more creative and usually more challenging. Seriously why not admit that you were wrong here.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hailinel

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

This is a game with 8 Worlds. And if you look at that game and official Nintendo levels you wont see a difference except the fan stuff is a bit more creative and usually more challenging. Seriously why not admit that you were wrong here.

I haven't played this game. I don't know how challenging the stages are. And judging the creativity of the stages seems subjective, doesn't it? Also, Nintendo just published DLC with an entire game's worth of new, more challenging stages for NSMBU, and I can't say that I'm finding them that easy at all.

But really, what am I supposed to admit I'm wrong about? That your highly subjective take on this topic is objective fact? That's not how this works.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think you people enjoy these arguments.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

I haven't played this game. I don't know how challenging the stages are. And judging the creativity of the stages seems subjective, doesn't it? Also, Nintendo just published DLC with an entire game's worth of new, more challenging stages for NSMBU, and I can't say that I'm finding them that easy at all.

But really, what am I supposed to admit I'm wrong about? That your highly subjective take on this topic is objective fact? That's not how this works.

You are wrong in a way that creating new levels for a platformer is in no way as time consuming as creating a new setting, engaging characters and a good story that will somehow fit the gameplay as well. And Your DLC stuff just showed you another time that this does not take long to create new levels.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Hailinel

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

You are wrong in a way that creating new levels for a platformer is in no way as time consuming as creating a new setting, engaging characters and a good story that will somehow fit the gameplay as well. And Your DLC stuff just showed you another time that this does not take long to create new levels.

Where did I say how long it took?

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hailinel: The important question is why does someone think we give two shits about why he's canceling his Playstation 4 pre-order? Waste of a thread and so is this line of argument.

billyok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's all well and good, but I think you're going to have to hand in your "biggest Playstation fan on Giant Bomb" title if you're not even getting a system at launch.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really this is an "I like cake" post because the argument isn't really "pro-vendor". You could play Madlibs with the a few pieces of the post and make it promote anything.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie said:

@hailinel: The important question is why does someone think we give two shits about why he's canceling his Playstation 4 pre-order? Waste of a thread and so is this line of argument.

Wow dude who shit in your cereal? I said some stuff (which is why it is a blog) and then I asked a question. People answered in different ways and video games were discussed. Waste of a thread along with the arguments contained within? And what makes all those other threads where you talk shit on the Wii U any more viable?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Is the point of a thread not to discuss? Has there not been discussion here?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@techhits said:

Sorry I just can't get over how you think that your the biggest Sony fan on Giant bomb. I mean isn't the fact you aren't getting a PS4 at launch, even though you could get one directly contradict that?

I know that isn't the point of this blog, but for some reason I just can't seem to get over it.

You name another user on this site who has written as passionate PlayStation related blogsasme and also tried to convince the community that the PSP Go was great.

Loading Video...

You know what, you're like the second person ever that I've ever met that has said the PSP Go was great. As a day-one owner of a Go, I love that thing to death, even if Sony threw it under the bus. It's still, by far, the best PSP hardware iteration.

With that said, I'm still revoking your Sony fanboy card.

Traitor.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

But a computer can. Take a look at Cloudberry Kingdom.

Anyways, you can joke all you like about COD's change in setting, but I for one, would love a Mario game set in the future. It would be a nice change of pace.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.