Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

The Wii U has had an amazing first year!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Edited By DarthOrange

Poll The Wii U has had an amazing first year! (161 votes)

Yea it has! 29%
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha NO! 53%
    Other Motherfucker! 18%

Here are some of the games that came out in its first year (yes I know 3D World wasn't in the first year but it was close enough).

New Super Mario Bros U
    Nintendo Land
    ZombiU
    Lego City Undercover
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Game & Wario
    New Super Luigi U
    Art Academy Sketchpad
    Pikmin 3
    The Wonderful 101
    Rayman Legends
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
    Sonic Lost World
    Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games
    Wii Sports Club
    Wii Party U
    Super Mario 3D World

• 
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Other Motherfucker. Nintendo is playing games that nobody notices. I do want a Wii U now. But damn, how long has that thing been out?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

It has been colourful at the very least.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

eh.. They do seem to have Super Mario 3D World. That's something. Hopefully it's indicative of the next year of games.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The Wonderful 101 and Windwaker HD are the only things on that list that I care about. Haven't finished a Mario game since Sunshine. Maybe I just don't like platformers anymore.

Once Bayonetta 2 and that X rpg come out, and once the price drops, I could see myself picking up a Wii U.

Or--on the off chance--they got Persona 5 as an exclusive, I'd buy one at any price.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SamStrife

I outright refuse to believe a console who's best game until Mario 3D World was an HD remake of a Zelda game has a good line up. I'm sorry but in my eyes, an HD remake shouldn't have created the furore it did, no matter how good the original was.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will promptly snag one when X comes out.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dasacant2

I would say it's had a pretty good year but things like sonic lost world, mario and sonic, and wii sports club don't really help your case I think.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Guesty_01

No, I don't think its had an amazing first year. But I also don't think it's completely terrible, either. It's the first year of a new system, so about what I would expect really. Perhaps lacking the 3-4 star 3rd party stuff that might appear on other systems within a first year.

If I had the money I would certainly own one right now.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By fattony12000

Wii U

Released: 18th of November, 2012

Units sold worldwide: 3.91 million (as of the 30th of September, 2013)

Wii

Released: 2nd of December, 2006

Units sold worldwide: 100.30 million (as of the 30th of September, 2013)

PS4

Released: 15th of November, 2013

Units sold worldwide: 1 million (as of the 17th of November, 2013)

This is a line

Nintendo would have liked to have sold a few more, I'm sure. But there are some pretty dope Nintendo games out/coming out for Nintendo systems. Which is Nintendo. Nintendo.

As a side note, our household is getting a Wii U today!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I outright refuse to believe a console who's best game until Mario 3D World was an HD remake of a Zelda game has a good line up. I'm sorry but in my eyes, an HD remake shouldn't have created the furore it did, no matter how good the original was.

I am just going to take a wild guess and say you have never played a single game on that list. If you had you would know that The Wonderful 101 is the systems best game.

@fattony12000:

A wise developer once said:

"Buy the game and worry about the sales never. The fun you have will stay the same.

I get wanting to root for a winner, but the minute that crazy sales makes a game more fun is the minute that it becomes something worth worrying about as a gamer."

Enjoy the Wii U! If you have other people to play with you'll have a blast with the system.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't think even Nintendo would claim the WiiU had an amazing first year...

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GET SOME NEW IP. I'm so sick of this Mario guy.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering that their big play for this console was 3rd party support, and that pretty much immediately came and went, I don't think you could ever say the first year was amazing.

But again, Nintendo has some of the best 1st party games, so 2014 could certainly amaze us yet.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli

Very few games for me. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Super Mario 3D Land are the only ones I've a passing interest in. None of its games are system sellers for me yet.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really interested to see how it does against the newer consoles. Seeing as, within 24 hours, the PS4 sold nearly a third of what the Wii U has sold in an entire year. Sales don't mean everything, sure... but I don't want to buy a console with an uncertain future.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn

Having a high-end gaming PC, the Wii U is everything I would like from a console: great exclusive first party games that don't try to replace my PC games. Fuck the Xbox One and the PS4.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If they had had more games like ZombieU or Monster Hunter I might say they had an okay year for gamers...but they didn't have more games like that. I just don't understand Nintendo s lack of desire to spend money or modernizer/streamline policies.

Just think about it - Sony has seemingly only been openly talking with indies for 18 months, just really working towards streamlining the bureaucratic process about how Sony communication with 3rd parties and how 3rd parties can communicate with Sony. Over those same 18 months Nintendo has sat like a toad on a shroom licking dew off it own ass. So much could have been accomplished over the last 18 months, but Nintendo has seemingly sat there making no changes, making few decisions, starting few games and only in the last two months do they say, "I understand that the real issue is the lack of software, and the only solution is to provide the mass-market with a number of quality software titles."

NO FUCKING DUHHHHHHHH IWATA!!! Yet, that was obvious from the start to everyone in teh gaming community. That as obvious with GameCube, that was obvious with Wii, because it has been said for years Nintendo boxes sell Nintendo games and the only games that thrive there are Nintendo games...they need to make more.

It really makes you wonder if nothing was being done or decided at Nintendo while Hiroshi Yamauchi was ill. As the biggest shareholder of a 'very conservative' Japanese company was everything still going through him for approval? I mean it makes you wonder what was teh chain of command and was anyoen able to do anything. Was Hiroshi Yamauchi standing in the way of progress? Was Satoru Iwata just been a smiling face but a totally ineffective leader? Or, is the executive board of Nintendo just full of idiots who if they see money coming in don't look to the future? At what point does "We're making money now..." stop being a good excuse for not creating better business practices or watching what competitors do?

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel Nintendo will have a fucking great 2014 but it's first year was very weak. They have games but very avg. ones and the stand outs being Zelda(remake which is kinda bad), pikmin 3 and Mario3dworld. Seriously all the other games are just not something to go and buy a console and their 3rd party support was good but they got the worse versions of all the consoles. Seriously a lot of people are giving shit on ps4/x1 having titles that are on current gen consoles but at least their getting the better version.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Pikmin was pretty good.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

No, the Wii U still sucks and its because Luigi fucked it up. Year of Peach, tell me when that happens and that will be the year.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm not at all interested in Art Academy Sketchpad, but that art needs to be turned into its own game.

Yakuza Babies
    Yakuza Babies

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Thoseposers

I've enjoyed a ton of the games put out on it, i just wish i had more time to play them and that i didn't have a bajillion other games to play as well.

edit: also, @monkeyking1969 has not paid any attention at all as to the changes Nintendo has made in regards to how they work with indies

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

lol, Darth.

I guess it really is fitting that this was the year of Luigi considering how shit the year has been for them (not so much on the 3DS side)

3D World is the only game so far that has grabbed my interest, but not enough to pay for that system. When it's down to $250 then we'll talk.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enjoy the Wii U! If you have other people to play with you'll have a blast with the system.

I'M ALREADY DOING IT! I'M ALREADY DOING IT!

No Caption Provided

I have a person to 'play with', but errr, I plan to do about 95% of all my Wii U gaming solo.

If I want multiplayer I'll play Quake III or Baldur's Gate II.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Keep on fighting your strange WiiU crusade Darth.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the problem with is there were a lot of exclusive in the first year but only now after the Mario 3D World comes i say there are enough reasons to get the system(the price drop help and that zelda bundle help) if ninteno had come with he price drop before e3 and if nintendo had some games for the first 6 months that would have sold a lot more wii U console.

It was a good year in terms of exclusive (7/8 exclusives games)

But 2014 looks good with 4 big exclusive coming (Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, SSB, Bayoneta 2, and maybe X) + now they have some indie games, they just need a Nintendo Direct with some dates for the games in 2014 (Hope that 2/3 of those games come in the first 4/6 month) and a teaser for a new IP or some new version of an old ip like earthbound/ starfox/ metroid/ and then just hope that people will get a WII U as a secondary console

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sad part about the first year is i think lost almost all support from 3 parties on the wii u

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The WU is certainly doing much better than I had imagined it would, but let's see how well it can handle the competition in year 2.

hakooon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By hakooon

While I certainly wouldn't call it amazing, seeing as the console hasn't sold very well, and the guys at Nintendo have done quite a bit of mismanagement with their franchises and the system itself. However, the games that have come out have been really awesome!

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm enjoying it...

Unfortunately most so called "hardcore" gamers are also hardcore cynics. It's sad.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By demontium

@darthorange:

Neither a good year nor a bad year, sales aside. The Wii U hasn't been in the limelight since the announcement and subsequent release of both the competing next gen consoles, but more importantly the new pieces of software (which excludes wind waker HD, MH3U, etc) released in 2013 were weak with some exceptions (those being pikmin 3, rayman legends, Mario 3D World, and mario bros u (3 of which are platformers)). The other titles you mentioned are good fillers (i.e. wii party/sports, nintendoland, scribblenauts u etc).

Nintendo seriously needs to stop abusing the mario series and branch out into some new (or at least not over-used) ips, which will give the wii u more variety in regards to genres. Look, the only reason anyone bought a wii u is for the first/second party titles, which have not been enough in addition to the fact that the wii u is lacking in 3rd party development. If nintendo is gonna be the only dev that can fully use the wii u's potential and produce triple A titles, it needs to do so without only relying on mario/smash bros/zelda. Their formula is getting old and 3rd party software doesn't satisfy any triple A or genre gaps. Unfortunately, good 3rd party devs like ubisoft attempt to compete with nintendo's titles, releasing rayman legends to match super mario bros u.

Hopefully we see a stronger lineup in 2014 for Nintendo and more 3rd party support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.