Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

The Wii-U is out a week from today in North America

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thedj93

Here we are, standing on the precipice of a new generation of gaming.

What are your expectations going in? Are you totally psyched or are you going to wait to form an opinion when the dust settles? Do you have one pre-ordered?

I thought it might be interesting to start this topic as a little time capsule of what the general feeling of the wii-u was going in.

As for me, I have no idea what to expect. The "hardcore gamer" side of me wants to say that Nintendo is losing their touch and that it's crazy that they are relying on just another gimmick. However, I've been proven wrong before, and if Nintendo can deliver a homerun as far as software goes I think it will be another win for them.

The wii started off with an explosive bang and died down to whimper in the past year. I wonder how this console will fare... what do you guys think?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BigBoss1911

I honestly forgot this thing was even coming out.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By alternate

Someone has swallowed that marketing wholesale.

Apparently (via Brad) they are doing a live stream on Sunday though - so that is something at least.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NegativeCero

I had no idea when it was coming out. For me this just means they'll (hopefully) lower the price of the Wii to $99 so I can get my Xenoblade on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Seppli

The main reason I'm looking into getting a WiiU is to play all the Wii classics I haven't played yet, because I never owned a Wii. I'm looking into buying a Playstation Vita to play all the classic PSP/PS1 games too. Not the most compelling reason to trigger a purchase in both cases. Time's limited, and retro-gaming is not my gaming preference.

Since I'm looking at the WiiU and Vita first and foremost as 'Retro-Gaming' machines, I don't think of the WiiU's launch as a generational step forward, but more as the bowtie at the end of the current generation.

ZombiU has me intrigued, and I'm sure many of Nintendo's first party games will be ultimately worthwhile, and as a Wii-defiant gamer - there's a huge value in its backwards compatibility - so I don't write it off, but it's as far from what I'd label 'the next generation of consoles' as it gets.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By UitDeToekomst

My thoughts? I have no interest and will not be buying one.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

@NegativeCero said:

I had no idea when it was coming out. For me this just means they'll (hopefully) lower the price of the Wii to $99 so I can get my Xenoblade on.

They lowered the Wii's price to $130 very recently, I believe. It's kind of crazy that they're still holding out, given that the Wii bubble burst like 2 years ago, and casual gamers aren't buying the system in droves anymore.

Anyway, my point is, you won't pick it up for $99 until probably summer or fall 2013.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blastroid

I have one on pre-order but did not know any details really of it. I buy every main stream console and if I like it I keep it and if I don't I give it to my brother or trade it in for something I need. Now after pre-ordering it I decided to watch a few videos on the console and I can feel a little piece of the hype. For now I feel Nintendo has finally caught up to the other console players. With a 1080p/HDMI port, pro controller, and the ability to port a game without removing its skin I think are a plus for the hardcore gamer. The TVii feature looks promising and it is free. So even if it turns out bad I can ignore that feature. So leaving the gimmick screen out you can see it has some wins alone. Now once the Xbox 720 and PS4 (Names not official) comes out then the U may turn into another dust collector. Where I felt they went wrong is by not providing a Blu-Ray player. I own 2 PS3 consoles just because I wanted a Blu-Ray player in another room plus the convenience of having another game system in the bedroom instead of having to move it when I wanted to play games. The other lack luster thing about the Wii U IMO is not having an RJ45 port. I know almost everyone is on wireless and should have a router but some people like to travel to and bring the console with them. Some hotels or grandparents may only have the RJ45 method Also some people live in a heavily populated area where 802.11x has good/bad days. I do like the controller screen as it acts as a TV remote and the TVii features. The co-op oppertunities with the screen are amazing. I so hope they only use the screen on multi-ported games as a gimmick only though. For example with CODBO2 the screen is not required but has optional uses. For Nintendo IP only games then having the screen as a mandatory feature for parts of the game makes sense. I think they will have great success for the next 2 years with the new console.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

I'll probably get one eventually but I'm not getting it anytime soon.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thedj93

@blastroid: wow thanks that was supremely informative. i think the wii u has a pretty small window where they have a great oppurtunity to make a big impact before the Sony and Microsoft marketing machines start their engines. I look forward to being blown away but as it stands I can't help feeling pessimistic about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not interested as of now. Maybe next year when it has some decent shit I can't get elsewhere I'll consider it.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I'm more interested in the GB coverage than the console itself.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thedj93

@OllyOxenFree said:

I'm more interested in the GB coverage than the console itself.

true dat

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pompouspizza

My girlfriend is buying me one as an early Christmas present.

clumsyninja1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By clumsyninja1

Gamestop just charge me today...

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NegativeCero

@BisonHero said:

@NegativeCero said:

They lowered the Wii's price to $130 very recently, I believe. It's kind of crazy that they're still holding out, given that the Wii bubble burst like 2 years ago, and casual gamers aren't buying the system in droves anymore.

Anyway, my point is, you won't pick it up for $99 until probably summer or fall 2013.

Yeah, it's weird, but I can wait. I mean I've waited this long and I'm not entirely sold on the Wii U, otherwise I would just bite the bullet and play Wii games there until games start coming out for it.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I have my calendar marked for a June or July of 2015 purchase.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By joshthebear

WiiU. Next generation?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McShank

I liked it when I was playing it at a demo spot. If they allow all Wii games to work for it which I have not looked into at all and will probably read about it in a week, Then I will buy one as I do want a Wii but the WiiU would be where I would go..

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thedj93

@joshthebear said:

WiiU. Next generation?

precipice

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@ChadMasterFlash said:

So by that time you'll be able to pick up all three of the worthwhile games for the system.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@thedj93 said:

@joshthebear said:

WiiU. Next generation?

precipice

Next

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

@BestUsernameEver said:

@ChadMasterFlash said:

So by that time you'll be able to pick up all three of the worthwhile games for the system.

Yep.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blastroid

@joshthebear said:

WiiU. Next generation?

No and yes. I would say this generation with a tad of breathing room for next gen. The specs are better than last gen but you know Sony and MS will bring even better specs. I think for true next gen we need to see massive multiplayer (not talking about just MMO) on a console work well. Mag tried but you can tell parts of the game were held back to make it happen. I am an older gamer and say each generation well I don't think they can top those graphics but they always do and surprise me. You have to think photo realism is the bar but that all depends on the art style. Games like Blastedlands have a art style and it works well without trying to go into photo realism. With that in mind and with hardware finally surpassing the graphics bottleneck I think online features and branching out to mobile devices is where we are today and trying to improve on that for next gen.

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jacksmedulla

@BigBoss1911 said:

I honestly forgot this thing was even coming out.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Dalai
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh right. The Wii-U. That's certainly... a thing. I guess. I shouldn't be too snippy though, as it is probably certain that I will buy one in like 4 years so I can play whatever Fire Emblem games they release for it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel

So much dismissal ITT.

I have my console preorder paid off. All that remains is waiting until next Sunday to pick it up.

SirShandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SirShandy

Personally I am very excited for it.

I don't think it's fair to judge the controller as a gimmick until you see how developer's use it. It depends on their ability to take creative risks. I was always attracted to gaming as a social device, whether playing cooperatively or competitively with friends and family. Those are some of my best memories from childhood, and I thinks it's great Nintendo has never really abandoned that mentality. With the Wii and especially with the WiiU, they are doing some very interesting things to enrich that social experience.

Of course, as I've gotten older, I get less and less opportunity to get people together to do these things, but I definitely think the Wii U's strength will be with that "together" experience. And, again, I hope a few developers out there will look at the tools they have to work with and really focus on making unique unfamiliar single-player experiences as well. This is going to feel like a very long week.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.