Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

The Wii U sells 'well under' 100,000 units in January

• 55 results
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Forgot that thing exists will forget even more once the PS4 and Xbox 3 are announced

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

@jdh5153 said:

@kanerobot said:

@jdh5153 said:

Nintendo's Dreamcast. I don't think they'll recover.

Well maybe, except the Dreamcast was pretty awesome and the Wii U...well, it remains to be seen. Not much on the Wii U worth paying attention to right now.

True. I'm not saying the Dreamcast was bad, it was my favorite console of all time....until I got the Xbox (which I felt the Dreamcast lived on through, as they were actually quite similar).

Felt exactly the same. Loved the DC and really got a DC vibe from the XBox (franchises like Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Set Radio carrying over, trying to push the industry forward with online functionality that wasn't even actually ready on day 1, playing the underdog to Sony, etc).

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

I really do not understand hate toward Nintendo.

Anyway, when the games come, I will buy a Wii-U, I think this machine only has up to go, and Nintendo makes great games, so I will not hold out when it comes time.

The 4 games that I loved on my Wii along with VC stuff justified my purchase of it for me, I assume that down the road, Wii U will be a similar story.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By HerbieBug

@bestusernameever said:

<snippity snip>

This right here, Nintendo didn't change anything huge because they thought the consumers would just buy it on the name alone, well, it looks like the name only caused confusion, not a genius branding move. Plus yes, the controller method has turned people off immediately that I've seen, casual gamers are willing to jump head into a game they don't know at a party if all you have to do is move the controller like the sport/game on screen, if you hand a non gamer this huge, sort of complex looking controller, you instantly get the 'no, I just don't feel like learning this' face.

But, I don't know what Nintendo should have done to follow the wii and not 'abandon' their innovative and creative past. The best route would be making a successful console, just not wii successful, more like Gamecube numbers, which were actually quite good. Nintendo's ego is showing now, they thought they could strike lightning twice without actually understanding why the Wii was such a hit, simplicity. Gamepad, Wiimote and Pro controllers for one system doesn't ring of simplicity.

I have an idea. It's super risky but I don't see much alternative at this point unless they pull a Sega and switch to software only. Of course, this also does depend on how deep their emergency rainy day coffers are:

Continue to market the Wuu and do their best to at least make it attractive to those who will buy the system specifically to play Nintendo first-party games. Price competitively, sell the console at cost even just to get it into people's homes. This will just be damage control.

Second, the risky part. I think Nintendo should switch focus and face their true competitor head-on. I think they should try to develop a tablet (or something like it- put some buttons on it, something) that can compete against the iPad; but with the marketing emphasis that it is a handheld game console first and web browser/phone second. Ideally here they want to focus on getting DS/3DS users to switch up to the tablet-thing and skim some of Apple's market share by appealing to people who like to use their phone/tablet for gaming, but aren't super thrilled about the control fidelity of Apple's touchscreens.

So make a tablet for the gaming-minded. A handheld console that happens to be a web browser/phone, competing against the iPad that happens to also have some games you can play.

This is crazy risky of course. It is what I would attempt to do if I had huge amounts of money still available to me, even if i know the current direction my company is on will be Hindenburg-esque if something isn't done to get back on profitable course. I wouldn't suggest anything like this for any other company save Nintendo. That name still means something.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Andorski

As long as Nintendo is able to adjust fiscally to going back and selling as low as they did during the N64 and Gamecube era (which is undoubtedly the fate on the Wii U), they will stay around for the entire generation. The inevitable failure of the Wii U isn't the main issue for Nintendo though. Like I said, they've survived two low selling consoles before. The key difference though is they were always able to depend on their Gameboy/DS sales. Not sure how well the 3DS is selling, but some of that marketspace has been eaten up by smartphone gaming. The 3DS won't succumb to iOS and Android, but if Nintendo doesn't disrupt the market their next handheld obviously will. Nintendo will drop out of gaming once this happens.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.