Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Using the WiiU gamepad like the Oculus Rift..

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bucklebutt

I think it would be very cool if Nintendo made a helmet/holster that held the gamepad at a certain distance from your face so it could be used just like the Oculus Rift, then games could be made with this idea in mind.

I got this idea while playing Windwaker HD and I was shooting some baddies using the motion detection to aim, it works surprisingly well.

How cool would a game be where you wore the gamepad helmet and ran around with the Wiimote and nunchuk

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

This is probably the best idea ever.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

But Joke aside IT would not work on the Wii U. For that they needed a much much more powerful hardware.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: what do you mean exactly?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuff like motion controls or Oculus Rift does not run without sacrificing power. With using or implement such things you have to consider a certain amount of hardware power to the device which is not less in the case of an Oculus rift for example. If you only talk about head tracking you do not need such a device just a normal camera.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@bucklebutt said:

Stuff like motion controls or Oculus Rift does not run without sacrificing power. With using or implement such things you have to consider a certain amount of hardware power to the device which is not less in the case of an Oculus rift for example. If you only talk about head tracking you do not need such a device just a normal camera.

The Wii U gamepad is already tracking the same general stuff as the Oculus. On top of that, headtracking is pretty low on the performance meter, especially with dedicated hardware doing the calculation as opposed to just doing it all on your CPU, ie FreeTrack. I see no reason why the Wii U gamepad couldn't do that, considering it already does it. Hell, they have that dumb VR video thing you can pay for, which is basically that but not in 3D. And previous gen consoles have already done 3D and the Wii U is at least that powerful so I see no reason it couldn't do 3D on that screen.

That said, I think it'd be mad clunky. It's too big, probably too heavy, and the optical tricks that the Oculus does would drag the price and complexity of any such product up significantly.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I don't mean to be rude, I'm probably just ignorant.. but the wii u gamepad already has the motion control in the gamepad. You can run around in first person as Link (Wind waker) and move the gamepad around to control where he moves and where he looks.. What more would they need to do besides make a holster for the gamepad to keep it a certain distance from your face. Sure it's not an optimal screen for this and there could be dangers possible health dangers, but I still don't see how it's a hardware issue.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darji

@darji said:

@bucklebutt said:

The Wii U gamepad is already tracking the same general stuff as the Oculus. On top of that, headtracking is pretty low on the performance meter, especially with dedicated hardware doing the calculation as opposed to just doing it all on your CPU, ie FreeTrack. I see no reason why the Wii U gamepad couldn't do that, considering it already does it. Hell, they have that dumb VR video thing you can pay for, which is basically that but not in 3D. And previous gen consoles have already done 3D and the Wii U is at least that powerful so I see no reason it couldn't do 3D on that screen.

That said, I think it'd be mad clunky. It's too big, probably too heavy, and the optical tricks that the Oculus does would drag the price and complexity of any such product up significantly.

For 3D you need to render twice. And yes PS3 and 360 could also render in 3D but with a very low resolution. Even 720P would be out of the question for the Wii U. This would only make the Wii U look even more weak compared to PS4 and XBox One. It would be a very very bad move to do so. Especially with this kind of hardware.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

The viewing angle is too narrow. It wouldn't be that great if that screen was your only camera into the game.

Unless they made some mech game, and it felt like you were looking through a cockpit-screen.

They should make Steel Batallion for the Wii U is what I'm saying.

P.S.: I love Google.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

got it darji you hate the wii u.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bucklebutt

it wouldn't have to be 3d..

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

A game where everything was dark and the gamepad worked like a flashlight would be acceptable too.

Someone should ban darji from the Nintendo forums.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Darji

@ripelivejam said:

It has nothing to do with hate. It is just unrealistic that is all. You agree with me that the Wii U is not a powerful hardware right? There is a reason why Carmack and Co are saying that it could not work the old consoles and that he is even unsure about the new ones. IF they actually would do that the resolution of these games would be terrible low. That is all I saying.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: true i wonder what kind of specs do you need to run the 1080p consumer version because you need to have power for 2 1080 realtime signals

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

It has nothing to do with hate. It is just unrealistic that is all. You agree with me that the Wii U is not a powerful hardware right? There is a reason why Carmack and Co are saying that it could not work the old consoles and that he is even unsure about the new ones. IF they actually would do that the resolution of these games would be terrible low. That is all I saying.

you always respond with "heyyy i'm just stating facts!" well the fact is pretty much everything nintendo related you go out of your way to demonstrate in your eyes how much of a failure they are. you sound like a broken record and it's getting tiring and awful to see. even if you do make points (okay the wii u is underpowered for certain purposes, so what?) it's baseless and repetitive and serves no purpose.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

and i'm sorry to derail the thread, but yeah the potential may be there but probably not with the device built as-is. reminds me of the head-tracking shit they did with the wii. it's always interesting to see how hardware can be stretched and modified with some ingenuity.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji

@ripelivejam said:

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

you always respond with "heyyy i'm just stating facts!" well the fact is pretty much everything nintendo related you go out of your way to demonstrate in your eyes how much of a failure they are. you sound like a broken record and it's getting tiring and awful to see. even if you do make points (okay the wii u is underpowered for certain purposes, so what?) it's baseless and repetitive and serves no purpose.

@mb If you talk about stuff like Oculus rift like experience hardware power IS very important to the actual gaming experience. Also this is not Nintendo related since Nintendo does not even have the idea or possible concept for it. It is just a dream by a user I just put some realistic sights into. Nothing else. But giving more context. It would be a unrealistic idea to do this for all current consoles.

This is not about fucking console wars.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

@ripelivejam said:

@darji said:

@ripelivejam said:

I actually agree with you.

Allow me to state some facts. This isn't fucking system wars and this behavior is getting tiresome and starting to grate on my nerves, @darji. You may want to consider that carefully before the next time you post something that is anti-MS or Nintendo or you are thinking about starting one of your Sony cheerleading threads.

Enough is enough already. Your behavior is disruptive and unwelcome and needs to stop.

Have a great day!

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bucklebutt

wind waker looks great on the gamepad (i've been playing it on the gamepad while my wife watches tv). It looks better than anything ive seen on the oculus rift. I do agree that it would probably be clunky tho

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think it would be very cool if Nintendo made a helmet/holster that held the gamepad at a certain distance from your face so it could be used just like the Oculus Rift, then games could be made with this idea in mind.

I got this idea while playing Windwaker HD and I was shooting some baddies using the motion detection to aim, it works surprisingly well.

How cool would a game be where you wore the gamepad helmet and ran around with the Wiimote and nunchuk

Well, you'd need TWO images divided/screened off (one for each eye) to do what Oculus Rift does. You would need to sync each image and have them update faster than they do now, and you would need more sensors that were more sensitive in the device. Nintendo woudl be better off just adding Oculus Rift support into its OS & tools. You could half-ass itlike your proposal, but it not really worth it.

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bucklebutt

@monkeyking1969: yea, oculus rift support would be great, but a helmet/holster I could see at a reasonable price (under 50$ or so) using the technology at hand. This was just a little idea I had while playing some WiiU, lol. Everyone seems to be taking a bit to seriously here, sorry for my half-ass idea (you seriously didn't need to bold that)

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

New Fatal Frame using the gamepad as your cameraaaaaaaaa

Come on Nintendo your sitting on some serious moneyyyyyyyyyyy

Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.