Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Virtual Console Games

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So has anyone tried any of the Wii U specific Virtual Console games? I was curious as to how they look on an HD set. I am considering getting rid of my SNES and all its games because they currently live at my parents house which is now 5 hours away after a recent move. I sometimes think about how nice it would be to fire up Super Metroid or Super Mario World. I know they are not true HD, but I am wondering if the increase in video output of the Wii U over the Wii makes any difference. I am still holding out hope that one day Nintendo will convert some old games to HD in all their 8 or 16 bit glory.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

There's no difference in the graphic presentation of the games.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jsnyder82

They're definitely sharper looking, due to being in 1080p and not 480p. And the NES games, from what I've purchased so far, play better (smoother) than the Wii versions.

In short, yes, there absolutely is a difference as far as I'm concerned.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Super Mario World on Wii U over HDMI looks fantastic on my TV and I would definitely say better than it does on Wii over component. As a PAL gamer it's also nice that Nintendo have answered our call for 60hz versions.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of your SNES in favour of the WiiU's Virtual Console (or at all), but I'm pretty happy with how the games look on WiiU and can't wait for Super Metroid later this week.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By jsnyder82

@meatball said:

Super Mario World on Wii U over HDMI looks fantastic on my TV and I would definitely say better than it does on Wii over component. As a PAL gamer it's also nice that Nintendo have answered our call for 60hz versions.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of your SNES in favour of the WiiU's Virtual Console (or at all), but I'm pretty happy with how the games look on WiiU and can't wait for Super Metroid later this week.

Oh god, I forgot about Super Metroid. My wallet's gonna get 30 cents lighter this week.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Swiftopian

@jsnyder82: Thanks duder, that's what I was looking for exactly.

@meatball: I love my SNES, don't get me wrong. The problem is that it's kind of wasting away at my parents house, you know? I moved away from my home town recently. I always tell myself I will play when I go back to visit, but I never have the time between all the social visits. I would just bring it to my apartment but it doesn't really look good on an HDTV. Putting the money I get for it towards a WII U is making more and more sense to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@meatball: I love my SNES, don't get me wrong. The problem is that it's kind of wasting away at my parents house, you know? I moved away from my home town recently. I always tell myself I will play when I go back to visit, but I never have the time between all the social visits. I would just bring it to my apartment but it doesn't really look good on an HDTV. Putting the money I get for it towards a WII U is making more and more sense to me.

The Virtual Console doesn't have nearly a complete library of SNES games on it. It's better to keep your SNES around for games that you can't play any other way.

Swiftopian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: I realize that currently that is the case. I was going to wait to see what they are planning to come out with at E3 and beyond. I am just trying to get as much info now as possible so I can make my decision when the time comes.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They look fine. Not full screen on the game pad though which is disappointing. Even with that I'm finding myself playing the VC stuff on the pad. Feels more natural for some reason.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

@blargonaut said:

The Virtual Console doesn't have nearly a complete library of SNES games on it. It's better to keep your SNES around for games that you can't play any other way.

This man speaks wisdom.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm still buying SNES games when I can. But then again I do have the original console hooked up at all times.

AT ALL TIMES.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.