Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wait. I'm confused....

• 68 results
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FiZi

Maybe I missed it but is the Wii U a new console with new controllers that is backwards compatible with Wii (and possibly GC) games? Or is it just new controllers you can sync up to your existing Wii?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

The press conference is still going on, dude.

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FiZi

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah you're right. I guess I just figured you'd show it all off all the hardware at once before going into the software.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum

I'ts an entirely new console, not that hard to get really...... I don't get what the difficulty is.....

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twitchey

It's a new console that uses the old Wii controllers and the new tablet controller. 

I might buy this. They have some great third party games.

cp3rockon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By cp3rockon

Has to be new console hardware to be full hd. Right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

@FiZi said:

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah you're right. I guess I just figured you'd show it all off all the hardware at once before going into the software.

Dude just said it has HD graphics, does that sound like a Wii addon to you?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomeJerk

Buying if third party RPG localization starts going anywhere :<

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FiZi

@onarum said:

I'ts an entirely new console, not that hard to get really...... I don't get what the difficulty is.....

That is what I figured but they've gone on about the controller for 30 minutes.

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FiZi

@TooWalrus said:

@FiZi said:

@TooWalrus said:

Dude just said it has HD graphics, does that sound like a Wii addon to you?

480p component cables are HD according to Nintendo. Was just a question. Thought I'd missed something and the chat from the live stream is just nuts to try and ask questions in.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By Danteveli

I was ready to buy it day one but now i'm not sold. Controller will be huge and I have enough money to own more than one tv in home.

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FiZi

Ha! So all that and their new HD console the demos were run on could have been a PC. Crazy to think someone could get confused when Nintendo didn't actually show a new console.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum
    @FiZi said:

@onarum said:

Yes, because the controller is the main draw of the thing.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By ReyGitano

Wait, is this the first E3 console premier were they didn't actually show the console? I'm going back to bed.

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Codeacious

They never actually showed what the main console unit will look like. Maybe it's not done yet...? The controller is obviously what they're pushing, but some of the target audience they're talking about will care a lot about what's actually in the console itself.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MisterMouse

It is interesting that they didn't even really talk specifically about the console itself, just the games that will be on it and the various control schemes

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FiZi

@onarum said:

@FiZi said:

@onarum said:

Depends on your perspective. I'm more interested in a more capable hardware platform with a real online market place and online gaming. Not surplus Galaxy Tabs with a controller glued on each side of it. That's just me though. I've been known to be wrong. A lot.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I was expecting an actual console to the "controller". I still don't understand really.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

@onarum said:

It's confusing. At no moment do they show you a new console, they just show the controller. Let me repeat that, at NO MOMENT do they show a console, just a blurry white box in the background that looks like a Wii They briefly say that it has HD graphics and not much else. At no point did they say "this is better than the Wii", instead they showed all the wii peripherals working with it.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By JoeH

So they announced a new console... without showing a new console...

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Twitchey

Here is the new console
    http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the-first-picture-of-nintendos-new-console-the-wii-u
    Also Justine just gave a shout out to Jeff on Gametrailers.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Twitchey said:
    It's a new console that uses the old Wii controllers and the new tablet controller.   I might buy this. They have some great third party games.

That montage of third party games was extremely disappointing.  They should have rolled out a major first party title, like a new Mario or that Super Smash Bros. game they mentioned, not a bunch of games the 360 and PS3 have been able to play for years.
    FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FateOfNever

They spent so much time talking about the controller because THAT is the interesting part.  The console is just going to be what you expect out of a console, so they probably didn't want to waste time talking about that when instead they could talk about this crazy ass new controller that goes with the new console that everyone will be talking about.  But there is, in fact, a new console there. 

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zimbo
    @NTM said:
    I was expecting an actual console to the "controller". I still don't understand really.
    There is an actual console. They focused on the controller because that was the more important part considering the new screen and everything whereas the console is just a white box. I don't get why so many people in chat were confused.
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FiZi
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoeH

@FateOfNever: I dont mind them focusing on the controller, but at least mention the damn console.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By onarum
    @Yanngc33 said:

@onarum said:

It's confusing. At no moment do they show you a new console, they just show the controller. Let me repeat that, at NO MOMENT do they show a console, just a blurry white box in the background that looks like a Wii They briefly say that it has HD graphics and not much else. At no point did they say "this is better than the Wii", instead they showed all the wii peripherals working with it.

I don't find it confusing at all, they SAID it was a new console, who cares about how that looks? they showed the controller because it is the main thing about it, also it wont come out for a whole other year so they probably don`t have final specs yet.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Marz
    @JoeH said:

@FateOfNever: I dont mind them focusing on the controller, but at least mention the damn console.

i agree wit this.  At least give some specs of the new console if they aren't going to actually show it on stage.
    GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GodsMistakeXx
    @Herocide:  I knew the console under the T.V in all of the videos wasn't a Wii... Why are they being so secretive about this?
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FiZi

For me the real problem is I wanted a new console from Nintendo with some beefy hardware and new controllers. If done right this would have made me think Nintendo was going back to the old ways of making consoles for games and not shovel-ware. They've found a happy medium but producing a console that game developers will make games like Assassins Creed and Darksiders II for and provided a controller that is every shovel-ware developers wet dream. I'd say this is a success for Nintendo but a failure for a certain percentage of their audience.

That's of course all speculation. We'll find out when the thing actually launches. Wonder if it will be able to complete with the PS4 and the xBox 720 :)

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ApolloBob

Seriously, it's some variation on a rectangular object with rounded corners - even they might not know the final design. I am literally amazed by people who think that if they didn't show an actual box, there must not be one at all. The controller is supposed to be the new thing, but no I guess everyone needs to see where the discs go so they can sleep at night.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum
    @FiZi said:

@onarum said:

@FiZi said:

@onarum said:

Depends on your perspective. I'm more interested in a more capable hardware platform with a real online market place and online gaming. Not surplus Galaxy Tabs with a controller glued on each side of it. That's just me though. I've been known to be wrong. A lot.

You`re looking at the wrong company then, it's already pretty much confirmed that it will be an HD capable console, that means it will have way better hardware than the wii, but if all you care about are bigger and better specs just wait till next year when sony and ms will be announcing their next systems.
    Minifig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Minifig
    @Yanngc33: Showing the console isn't important and Nintendo knows it. When they say they're showing a new console.. it's implied it'll be an entirely new system, therefore you shouldn't have to show it.. just the details about it and it's games.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#35  Edited By AgentJ
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    @Twitchey said:
    It's a new console that uses the old Wii controllers and the new tablet controller.   I might buy this. They have some great third party games.
    That montage of third party games was extremely disappointing.  They should have rolled out a major first party title, like a new Mario or that Super Smash Bros. game they mentioned, not a bunch of games the 360 and PS3 have been able to play for years.
    Holy crap! WHEN DID ARKHAM CITY COME OUT? How did I miss it? 
    Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rebirth1337
    @FiZi said:

Maybe I missed it but is the Wii U a new console with new controllers that is backwards compatible with Wii (and possibly GC) games? Or is it just new controllers you can sync up to your existing Wii?

Don't feel bad I still don't know what the hell just happened
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FiZi

@onarum said:

@FiZi said:

@onarum said:

@FiZi said:

@onarum said:

You`re looking at the wrong company then, it's already pretty much confirmed that it will be an HD capable console, that means it will have way better hardware than the wii, but if all you care about are bigger and better specs just wait till next year when sony and ms will be announcing their next systems.

Can't I have all three? :)

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FateOfNever
    @Marz said:
    @JoeH said:

i agree wit this.  At least give some specs of the new console if they aren't going to actually show it on stage.
    The fact of the matter is though is that the press conference is timed.  They had a limited amount of time in which to show off the new console to the press and to their business partners.  That time is better spent saying "this is the revolutionary idea behind the new console" and trying to explain it (because that is what is going to have the most questions right out the gate) and then getting into console hardware specifics later during E3 during interviews and what not.  Or, maybe they don't have any specs to share for the new console yet.  But they did say that it is a new console, they kept saying that it was the controller for the Wii U, not "this is the Wii U".  And said before the reveal and everything that "this is our new console".  So they said that there's a new console there, they said it will have HD capabilities, they didn't need to spend any more time on it than that for the limited amount of time they had to show off this crazy piece of technology.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wrighteous86

I don't know how you're all so confused about this. They just didn't show the box. There are pictures out there, check Kotaku. They emphasized the part of the console they wanted to emphasize: the controller. They also didn't say anything about storage or the internet (aside from one mention by EA). They must not have any form of storage or internet! NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

...But seriously, they better have a competent online infrastructure this time around.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By louiedog
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By destruktive

@Minifig said:

@Yanngc33: Showing the console isn't important and Nintendo knows it. When they say they're showing a new console.. it's implied it'll be an entirely new system, therefore you shouldn't have to show it.. just the details about it and it's games.

Well, I came into the show late and all I heard was that the controller did HD. It was extremely confusing and I was basically sitting here saying "fuck this".

Then I saw that there was a console, that (hopefully) will support wii games and with some sort of more control like controller and I now I want it.

What I heard, mind you I didn't see the start of the show, was that the controller was the console. I completely understand that people are getting confused

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Hizang

If all of those third party games come out for the 360/PS3 (They most likely will) will you be getting it for the Wii U, very doubtfull.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Marz
    @FateOfNever said:
    @Marz said:
    @JoeH said:

The fact of the matter is though is that the press conference is timed.  They had a limited amount of time in which to show off the new console to the press and to their business partners.  That time is better spent saying "this is the revolutionary idea behind the new console" and trying to explain it (because that is what is going to have the most questions right out the gate) and then getting into console hardware specifics later during E3 during interviews and what not.  Or, maybe they don't have any specs to share for the new console yet.  But they did say that it is a new console, they kept saying that it was the controller for the Wii U, not "this is the Wii U".  And said before the reveal and everything that "this is our new console".  So they said that there's a new console there, they said it will have HD capabilities, they didn't need to spend any more time on it than that for the limited amount of time they had to show off this crazy piece of technology.
    I disagree, it was really confusing until they actually showed that developers video and it made it clear that there was actually a separate console. 
    GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44  Edited By GS_Dan
    @ApolloBob said:

Seriously, it's some variation on a rectangular object with rounded corners - even they might not know the final design. I am literally amazed by people who think that if they didn't show an actual box, there must not be one at all. The controller is supposed to be the new thing, but no I guess everyone needs to see where the discs go so they can sleep at night.

At first all they showed were existing Wii games and peripherals and the WiiU controller just looked like another of these. There was also a rumour for a long time that this could simply be a streaming device.  When you don't highlight the fact that you have a new box under the TV people will be understandably confused. Why show a tech demo and not talk about the console? Why give an interview with Miyamoto in video format WHEN HE'S ON THE STAGE? It was horribly organised and thought through.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It looks really exciting, but I'll at least hold out on buying one until I know what Microsoft & Sony are up to.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NickL

@godsmistakexx said:

@Herocide: I knew the console under the T.V in all of the videos wasn't a Wii... Why are they being so secretive about this?

They weren't being secretive, it clearly wasn't a wii for anyone that looked at it, if they were being secretive it wouldn't have gotten on screen.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By Renahzor

The confusion is very obvious, this was a terrible press event because it doesn't give enough information.  They mention WiiU and go on for 30 minutes about the controller without ever mentioning anything about the console, at all, and giving it a name that could easily mean JUST THE TABLET controller.  The majority of the games shown on the controller are all Wii games, including Wii sports.  They didn't show a live tech demo at all, never showed the console itself, and seemed to be very elusive about what the fuck they were talking about the whole time.   Only at the end did they show off some mediocre looking HD games looking about like 360 games from a few years ago. 

Color me less interested than before.  I'll be more interested to see if Sony or MS pick up this Tablet Controller idea and make something of it, instead of the shovelware minigame collections we'll be seeing that use the "REAL RAW POWER of the WiiU controller (oh and theres a new console with it too, did we forget to show that?)".  

oasisbeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oasisbeyond

Great third party games? All of those games will be out on ps3 and 360 1 to 2 years eariler... They will be old by the time they launch on wii u. Nintendo needs to create new games / series. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon won't cut it. Make sone new dark stuff too.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By herocide
    @NickL said:

@godsmistakexx said:

@Herocide: I knew the console under the T.V in all of the videos wasn't a Wii... Why are they being so secretive about this?

They weren't being secretive, it clearly wasn't a wii for anyone that looked at it, if they were being secretive it wouldn't have gotten on screen.

There's always the possibility the reason they haven't shown off the console so much is because it might not be in its final stage like the controller is.
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JoeH

@FateOfNever: I don't need specs or anything. Just open with "Here is our new console the Wii U" *Picture of console comes up* "It supports Full HD gaming, Online multiplayer, And most importantly of all a brand new controller" Then go into what he did.

But all he said was "Here is our new companion in gaming the Wii U Controller". It was really badly presented as whole I think. It was the most fruitful, but the worst presented of the 3 press conferences this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.