Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wait. I'm confused....

• 68 results
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By NickL

I think the bigger problem was that all of the games looked like watered down 360/ps3 games, I thought this was supposed to be a new console? Where are the unique launch games at?!?

edit: except their first party stuff of course, which is mostly all rehashed concepts that they have done time and time again.

Shaymarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Shaymarx

So when do you think they will announce the disc format?

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By FiZi

I think one other thing that might add to the confusion is that they called it the "Wii U" and talked about how "Wii == We" and "U = You" as in tailored to "You". Based on the name alone that sounds like an add-on for a Wii.

@oasisbeyond: I'd love to see a Zelda reboot. Make the game darker. They could just run a parallel series. Zelda X (or something) for adults with a more dark story line and then straight up Zelda for the family to keep the tradition of re-releasing Ocarina of Time alive :)

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By blueduck
    @Renahzor said:
    The confusion is very obvious, this was a terrible press event because it doesn't give enough information.  They mention WiiU and go on for 30 minutes about the controller without ever mentioning anything about the console, at all, and giving it a name that could easily mean JUST THE TABLET controller.  The majority of the games shown on the controller are all Wii games, including Wii sports.  They didn't show a live tech demo at all, never showed the console itself, and seemed to be very elusive about what the fuck they were talking about the whole time.   Only at the end did they show off some mediocre looking HD games looking about like 360 games from a few years ago.  Color me less interested than before.  I'll be more interested to see if Sony or MS pick up this Tablet Controller idea and make something of it, instead of the shovelware minigame collections we'll be seeing that use the "REAL RAW POWER of the WiiU controller (oh and theres a new console with it too, did we forget to show that?)".  
    This
    shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By shadystx
    @FiZi: Yeah I was also confused during the press briefing, Was it just a new controller that hooked upto the Wii?, Was the Controller the hardware?, They did not convey very well excatly what the new system is.

I had to check Kotaku out to see that there is a new box, I could see one during the demos but was not sure if it was a wii or not.
    http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the-first-picture-of-nintendos-new-console-the-wii-u 

I am a sucker for new hardware so once again I will buy it at launch, I am excited to finally see Mario and Zelda in lovely HD, The disappointment is really this is what the Wii should have been, I love Zelda but have been waiting for the game to evolve with voice actors and HD graphics, I am pretty sure all the 3rd party videos they showed were of PS3/360 footage and as a gamer that owns all systems I will be buying all the games i want on 360 or ps3 not because i favour those systems but because it will be 6-9 months before those games like batman hit the Wii-U, Also the controller looks cool but will it be viable for traditional games or will it be more comfortable to use the ps3/360 pad, I am not sure that a few indicators on my pad(ammo count,map etc) will make up for the comfort of a normal pad as the Wii-U pad looks big but who knows it could be really comfortable.

I expect some awesome 1st party games but the first year of the system will be 360/ps3 ports that have shoe horned features built into them which do not enhance the expierence, The one good thing is we will eventually get unique expierences only available on the Wii-U from its exclusive games.

I would have loved to see a more in depth look into the hardware as thats what i like some specs announcements would have got me allot more excited, I know the casual do not want to hear that jargon but Nintendo says they want to cater to everyone so spend a few mins talking tech.

Several years ago we were waiting for the Wii announcement and my excitement was high I expected to see legendary Nintendo mascots in gorgeous HD,The new controll system made up for the lack of tech at first but a few months after launch having to waggle my hand to strike links sword became boring and annoying, timed button presses take more skill, My Wii has been sitting next to my 360/ps3 for about 2 years without being turned on and even before that it only got switched on a few times a year, I see the wii getting one more go with Zelda.

Overall its interesting and I am sure my excitement will rise ten fold once they start showing HD gameplay and unique controll methods for Nintendo titles like Mario and Zelda.

I was very impressed with the 5 3DS titles, Kid Icarus looked great, New mario and Luigis mansion also looked awesome, I will be buying all 5 of those games which will be good since the 3ds is my first new system that has had so litte use, We really needed a couple of those games at launch.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Quacktastic

I was only half-watching but I came away pretty confused, too.  Date? Price? Ports of games already coming out for other systems before this one launches?

I felt like I came away from that with no actual information.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By hatking

Well I was going to make a comment about how dense the G4 hosts were for not understanding what they just saw, but it seems a portion of this community is in the same place.  

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @JoeH said:

@FateOfNever: I don't need specs or anything. Just open with "Here is our new console the Wii U" *Picture of console comes up* "It supports Full HD gaming, Online multiplayer, And most importantly of all a brand new controller" Then go into what he did.

But all he said was "Here is our new companion in gaming the Wii U Controller". It was really badly presented as whole I think. It was the most fruitful, but the worst presented of the 3 press conferences this year.

Wow...

Nintendo is giving people a lot more credit than they deserve apparently.

The controller was the important part. And yes it will be on par with the PS3 and the 360, after the showed all that 3rd party support. Nintendo didn't want to go into numbers, they went the Apple route and just told you why it was unique.

Seriously they devoted an entire 15 minutes to third parties to show you they were on board.

I can't believe people got confused by this....

@NickL said:

I think the bigger problem was that all of the games looked like watered down 360/ps3 games, I thought this was supposed to be a new console? Where are the unique launch games at?!?

edit: except their first party stuff of course, which is mostly all rehashed concepts that they have done time and time again.

What?

Darksiders 2 is a watered down 360/PS3 game now?

You guys are terrible...they only mentioned franchises because it's quite a ways off.
    FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FiZi

@shadystx: Some very good points. Your experience with the Wii mirrors my own. I'm with you on wanting to see Nintendo's first-party games in HD. I think their art style could really benefit from it. I remeber watching the Futurama movies on Bluray for the first time and thinking how amazing animation looks in HD.

Are you sure you want voice acting in Zelda? They tried that once. Heh. I guess that was more voice then acting.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By JoeH

@Doctorchimp: What's wow about what I said? It's simple presentation skills. Say, then show. Go watch some Apple Press Conferences, or the Microsoft and Sony ones from this year. Perfect executions of it. Nintendo just dived into the controller stuff without presenting context about when the console would be out, what the console would be capable of etc.

Another great example of this exact thing done right instead of wrong is the initial Wii announcement. Go watch it. It focuses on the controller too, but it is presented well, unlike this year which was terrible.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Zithe

@Wrighteous86 said:

I don't know how you're all so confused about this. They just didn't show the box. There are pictures out there, check Kotaku. They emphasized the part of the console they wanted to emphasize: the controller. They also didn't say anything about storage or the internet (aside from one mention by EA). They must not have any form of storage or internet! NINTENDO IS DOOMED!

Keep in mind this is Nintendo we're talking about. They aren't afraid to do crazy shit. There was a brief period there during the conference where I actually thought the controller might have also been the new console. Both built in together. I think not being confused by the conference means your mind was thinking too traditionally. Of course, everyone now knows that there is in fact a new console, but my point is that Nintendo did an absolutely terrible job explaining that.

FiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FiZi

@Doctorchimp: I understand what you're saying. I think last time Nintendo launched a console they focused on the important part, the controller. Look how that turned out for a large portion of Nintendo's non-casual/shovel-ware hating customer base. I'm guessing some of us were just hoping for something different. Something more like a Sony or Microsoft console announcement where it's all about the box under the TV.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By ApolloBob

@GS_Dan said:

@ApolloBob said:

Seriously, it's some variation on a rectangular object with rounded corners - even they might not know the final design. I am literally amazed by people who think that if they didn't show an actual box, there must not be one at all. The controller is supposed to be the new thing, but no I guess everyone needs to see where the discs go so they can sleep at night.

At first all they showed were existing Wii games and peripherals and the WiiU controller just looked like another of these. There was also a rumour for a long time that this could simply be a streaming device. When you don't highlight the fact that you have a new box under the TV people will be understandably confused. Why show a tech demo and not talk about the console? Why give an interview with Miyamoto in video format WHEN HE'S ON THE STAGE? It was horribly organised and thought through.

How well the show was organized is a different matter - try to imagine that maybe they're at a point in the development cycle where they don't have every single detail nailed down, but they have enough to talk about that it would be foolhardy to skip this E3 and wait for the next one (especially if it's far enough along to release before then). If they show a box that's not the final design, everyone will report on it as if it is and then make a big deal out of it when it changes. Yes, I know, they could show a box and then say "oh this might change", but that's not what these big press events are about - details like that can come out later. When you want to generate buzz and interest you focus on what you know, not what you don't. It's marketing and business strategy, which I'm sorry to tell you is more important to them than individual gamer peace of mind. Even though these shows are available for public view, E3 is a press event and everything they do is tailored towards that fact. It is possible that it was a bad move and will cause more confusion than they wanted, but as to whether or not it will affect their bottom line by the time the console is released (when all the details are known) remains to be seen.

shadystx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By shadystx
    @FiZi said:

@shadystx: Some very good points. Your experience with the Wii mirrors my own. I'm with you on wanting to see Nintendo's first-party games in HD. I think their art style could really benefit from it. I remeber watching the Futurama movies on Bluray for the first time and thinking how amazing animation looks in HD.

Are you sure you want voice acting in Zelda? They tried that once. Heh. I guess that was more voice then acting.

I was thinking that voice acting would take away from the zelda expierence but thinking about a Zelda game with very high production values, I am torn between what art sytle would look best, The more realistic look of twilight princess is the obvious way to go but the animation style would look amazing in HD as you mentioned futurama it reminded me how awesome that looks on blu-ray, But I think if they went with the TP art style that would fit better to have voice acting.

Dont get me wrong Zelda games are amazing but I have felt the lack of voice acting has made me feel like the series has not evolved since OOT and the thought of listening to an amazing zelda story unfold with stunning HD visuals gets me really excited, I dont mind reading the text but i dislike the gibberish sound that goes along with it.

Other Zelda fans may disagree with my next wish but i would really like to see a much darker and grittier zelda, TP was darker and i believe that game would have been perfect with hd visuals and voice acting and I have confidence in Nintendo to pull it off.

Although there is a part of me that worrys that they spend so much time and resources on production values that it detracts from the great variety of gameplay a zelda game has.

Also a mario game does not need voice acting but the characters and enviroments in an HD mario game is going to be amazing and really this is what all nintendo fans of old have wanted since the hd era began.

I have just read some spec announcements online heres the link.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/nintendo-wii-u-nintendo-shares-official-specs 

It will use a propriety disc like the wii and Reggie just announced on GTTV it would have significant storage space to enable hd expierences, An IBM power based multi core micro core cpu, No GPU specs though.
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @AgentJ said:
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    @Twitchey said:
    It's a new console that uses the old Wii controllers and the new tablet controller.   I might buy this. They have some great third party games.
    That montage of third party games was extremely disappointing.  They should have rolled out a major first party title, like a new Mario or that Super Smash Bros. game they mentioned, not a bunch of games the 360 and PS3 have been able to play for years.
    Holy crap! WHEN DID ARKHAM CITY COME OUT? How did I miss it? 

Apparantly you missed my point.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By kingzetta

The console part
     The console part
    PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @kingzetta said:

The console part
    The console part

Do we know how big this thing is?
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By Vonocourt

@kingzetta said:

The console part
    The console part

Looks like a original Xbox 360 and the Wii had a baby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.