What will you do with Wii U?

Posted by BearcatJack (4 posts) -

Wii U looks pretty awesome, but I'm not sure how well it is gonna jive with these "hardcore" titles Nintendo is showing off. I can see the new controller showing a bunch of the HUD elements, or perhaps quick menus or inventory. It screen would be the ultimate context sensitive button, the perfect pop-up for multiple options. But I think the tablet display would be near useless in an combat situation. No one is going to play Darksiders or Ghost Recon in the Shield Pose. The controller will be in everyone's lap just like they are now. I think it will be very tough to have necessary information in a place that forces a player to look completely down, away from the screen.

What I think it would be great for is adventure games, LA Noire specifically. Imagine no HUB elements on screen at all. All those elements as well as menus could be shown on the tablet. The notebook could be entirely on the tablet, leaving the suspect on screen free of any prompts or instructions.

The tech looks cool and I'm certain it will be used in amazing ways, I have serious doubts they will be able to bring the hardcore audience back into a Nintendo Console.

#1 Posted by BearcatJack (4 posts) -

Wii U looks pretty awesome, but I'm not sure how well it is gonna jive with these "hardcore" titles Nintendo is showing off. I can see the new controller showing a bunch of the HUD elements, or perhaps quick menus or inventory. It screen would be the ultimate context sensitive button, the perfect pop-up for multiple options. But I think the tablet display would be near useless in an combat situation. No one is going to play Darksiders or Ghost Recon in the Shield Pose. The controller will be in everyone's lap just like they are now. I think it will be very tough to have necessary information in a place that forces a player to look completely down, away from the screen.

What I think it would be great for is adventure games, LA Noire specifically. Imagine no HUB elements on screen at all. All those elements as well as menus could be shown on the tablet. The notebook could be entirely on the tablet, leaving the suspect on screen free of any prompts or instructions.

The tech looks cool and I'm certain it will be used in amazing ways, I have serious doubts they will be able to bring the hardcore audience back into a Nintendo Console.

#2 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

I'll probably play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Smash Bros on it.

#3 Posted by benpicko (1924 posts) -

It looks terrible. I'm not getting it.

#4 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Shield pose, maybe not, but I could see myself using it for sniping assignments. plus, much easier to swap equipment. As long as they keep things optional I think it's a cool new thing they've done. Its not as exciting as the Wii was, but it will probably work better. 

#5 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Well you see I'm going to have my girlfriend go in the other room with the controller. Then I'm going to get a bottle of lotion and...

#6 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

Use my penis as a stylus.

#7 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

I am pretty sure I am going to play games with it? The controller sounds interesting, but just like the Wii, I will probably want a regular version. I do not know as of yet, but from what the GiantBomb crew has been saying, we need to stop fussing just because its not generic like what we have now, and just wait until we have our hands on it. 

Run on sentence ftw!

#8 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I'm going to make sweet love to that controller. That Zelda tech demo kinda sold me on this whole thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.