What would happen if the Wii U failed?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The Wii U is a very risky move taken by Nintendo, however so was the DS and the Wii, both of those risks paid of big time and made a lot of money for Nintendo. But what if this time it does not and the Wii U fails and nobody buys it and no games get made for it and it isn't actully that good of a console. What would happen to Nintendo, would they be out of the console market, would they make a regular console with standard controlls or would they focus all of there money on the 3DS?

#2 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@Hizang said:

But what if this time it does not and the Wii U fails and nobody buys it and no games get made for it and it isn't actully that good of a console.

Uh... there's basically zero chance of that happening, you know.

#3 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

The Wii U will fail if it does not gain third party support. By that I mean if I can not pick up Assassins Creed 4, Call of Duty 9, Mass Effect 5, Batman 3, or GTA V. Third parties are tired of making gimped versions of games on the Nintendo platforms, they don't sell well, Nintendo doesn't market them well. I see the potential in this happening significantly more than the 3DS. Everything that has been released about one controller, shoddy online structure makes me very uncertain about its future.

#4 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

If i failed the Wii? or U failed it? hmmm

#5 Posted by valrog (3648 posts) -

I would say something, but I'm afraid ryanwho will post those horrible pictures again.

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5369 posts) -

The world will explode.

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I don't know. I guess Nintendo would take a break from consoles and release a multi-platform Super Smash Brothers.

#8 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

@Hizang said:

The Wii U is a very risky move taken by Nintendo, however so was the DS and the Wii, both of those risks paid of big time and made a lot of money for Nintendo. But what if this time it does not and the Wii U fails and nobody buys it and no games get made for it and it isn't actully that good of a console. What would happen to Nintendo, would they be out of the console market, would they make a regular console with standard controlls or would they focus all of there money on the 3DS?

Millions of casuals will flock to the stores to buy to next wii.

It won't fail financially, but it might fail critically.

If it fails, they will make a different console I guess? Just like that did with the gamecube....

#9 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@NickL said:

@Hizang said:

Millions of casuals will flock to the stores to buy to next wii.

It won't fail financially, but it might fail critically.

If it fails, they will make a different console I guess? Just like that did with the gamecube....

I do not agree with this, these casuals will not flock to the next Wii because these same people did not flock to the 3DS. The Wii U will not capture all of the casual auidence because that same auidence is happy with there Wii and is not willing to spend over £200 on the next Wii which it tottaly will be way over £200.
#10 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

But what if this time it does not and the Wii U fails and nobody buys it and no games get made for it and it isn't actully that good of a console.

People would have said the exact same thing about Sega 10 years ago.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

No, they really wouldn't have, and that is an incredibly silly thing to say.

#12 Posted by SaFt (390 posts) -

That's pretty much what happened with the Gamecube, but nintendo didn't give up on the console market and released the Wii. 

That's pretty much what will happen if the Wii U flops, there's no way in hell Nintendo will end up like SEGA.

#13 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

IF it failed, though that's not going to happen, but if it failed nintendo would stop releasing games, cut their losses and shove the whole project under the table. They would then release more games for the wii and in a few years release a more convential and safer console to allow them togain back some revenue before starting another project.

#14 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@Kidavenger said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

I guess not... thought Dreamcast lasted longer than it did. Point still stands many huge video game companies have completely failed and it's entirely possible the same could happen to Nintendo.

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

A girl would finally want to have sex with you. This is the only thing holding your back, man.

#16 Posted by OtakuGamer (1289 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@Kidavenger said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

Sorry but Nintendo isn't invincible to going downhill, nothing is.  If no one buys a company’s products then they will go downhill, no question about it.
#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

They'd probably try again with another console. At worst, they'd back out of the console business and focus on the portable market.

#18 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

They'd probably try again with another console. At worst, they'd back out of the console business and focus on the portable market.

I think the portable market is shrinking, kids don't want a DS, or a PSP, they want an ipod touch and for good reason. I don't know how much longer devises just for portable games are going to be around.

#19 Edited by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Kidavenger said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

I guess not... thought Dreamcast lasted longer than it did. Point still stands many huge video game companies have completely failed and it's entirely possible the same could happen to Nintendo.

But your comparison is still completely wrong.

Sega's "downgrade" to third-party was shocking and unprecedented, sure, but it wasn't the product of one failure. Quite the contrary, anyone who was really paying attention could have seen it coming from a mile away, Even at their most successful--the Genesis/Mega Drive era--Sega still had massive amounts of problems; they may have been THE system in Europe, but they were constantly fighting for North America with Super Nintendo (and ultimately lost out to them) and were a complete non-issue in Japan. Add that to the failure of the 32X, in-fighting between Sega of America and Sega of Japan which led to SoA starting to produce their own console that would be killed off in favor of Saturn, not to mention the poor handling of Saturn everywhere outside Japan that caused it to tank. By the time Dreamcast came out, Sega was so in debt that there was literally nothing that console could've sold to save them (and Dreamcast sold pretty damn well, all things considered).

Nintendo is richer than they have ever been and have more mindshare than ever. If Wii U "fails," it's going to be an incredibly relative failure, because Nintendo's in a position that they can not prevent this from becoming a repeat of the Virtual Boy (though unlike the Virtual Boy, the Wii U is a good piece of hardware).

#20 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
A girl would finally want to have sex with you. This is the only thing holding your back, man.
hehe nice one :)
#21 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2616 posts) -

It wouldn't matter. Nintendo made plenty of money off the orginal Wii and Ds. 

If the Wii U failed Nintendo would probably just try again.

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4826 posts) -
@swoxx said:

or wii both did...
#23 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@PrimeSynergy said:

@swoxx said:

or wii both did...

zing!

#24 Posted by awadnin (275 posts) -

mario will die

#25 Posted by DillonWerner (1520 posts) -

Nintendo would be boned.

#26 Posted by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

Then I would be pissed cause I would have one and it would HAVE NO GAEMS!

#27 Edited by MattyFTM (14432 posts) -

Not a lot. It's pretty certain they're still going to be making a profit on every unit of the Wii U that is sold (just like they do with current consoles), so they'll still be making some money if it doesn't sell well. Add that to the piles of money they've made from the Wii and DS and they're sure to have more than enough money for another research and development cycle, along with production & other costs for another new console in 5-10 years time. Even if the Wii U is a failure, I can't see Nintendo going anywhere soon.

#28 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

They survived the fail that is the Virtual Boy, so they would probably survive if the Wii U fails. 

I can see the whole touch screen controller thing failing though. I'm not sure how much value a second screen would be when you are sitting on a couch, focusing on a TV screen and the controller is probably not even in your line of sight.

#29 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

Maybe this thread should have been about what would happen if the 3DS failed.

Losing 20% of the company's value in a quarter, If the same thing happens to the Wii-U it'll be a disaster.

#30 Posted by Sylinder (77 posts) -

I can see it failing... The only thin setting it apart from the rest is that stupid screen controller, and even that looks pretty unexiting, the thing has potential like nobodies business but Nintendo has, in typical Nintendo fashion, killed all that by not making it HD or "real" wireless and only for 1 player. To me the WiiU is a Wii on discount steroids. In a way Nintendo has set themselves up for a big failure with the release of the 3DS and the 3-5 decent games for it. This, I think, will have people thinking twice before purchasing it the first week/month it is released. That being said Nintendo better say a prayer to their tentacled god that Microsoft or Sony doesn`t let a single word slip about their new console as this would, I belive, leave their new WiiU as not only a failure but a massive one.

#31 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

theres absolutely a chance that could happen. If dev support falls through because of reason ABC I think a lot of people will be waiting for better things, and it's probably not easy to develop for, so it could be a huge plunder. it all counts on what the idiot moms do though, they are the real market. 
#32 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver
@iAmJohn said:

@Hizang said:

theres absolutely a chance that could happen. If dev support falls through because of reason ABC I think a lot of people will be waiting for better things, and it's probably not easy to develop for, so it could be a huge plunder. it all counts on what the idiot moms do though, they are the real market. 
No because though idiot mums already have a Wii, so will not get a Wii U
#33 Posted by ModernAlkemie (366 posts) -

They will release a high def version of Ocarina of Time and the Wii U will sell 5 million units in 2 hours.

#34 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Maybe they would go back and make consoles with good hardware again

#35 Posted by Wraxend (570 posts) -

I think it's only a matter of time before it fails. And the time will be around the point of the new Xbox and PS because we'll again see a jump in graphics and the third parties will move onto make games for them and the WiiU will be left behind just like the Wii was.

#36 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

What it would mean for the buyer:  Mediocre third-party support compared to its competition and good first-party games.  So, what you've known since 1996. 
What it would mean for Nintendo:  Try harder next time.

Bold predictions.

#37 Edited by Tan (425 posts) -
@Turtlebird95 said:

It wouldn't matter. Nintendo made plenty of money off the orginal Wii and Ds.   If the Wii U failed Nintendo would probably just try again.

this. 
Also whichever audience KEEPS buying wiis, mario kart wii, wii sports(and others) and wii fit are going to continue buying those games, they don't need a Wii U to play them. And once those WiiU commercials start, (assuming they're just as bad as the one at e3) those people, and probably many others, will just react as "Oh so theres an iPad controller with my wii?" ...  
#38 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

#39 Posted by Jay_Ray (1133 posts) -

Nintendo has "failed" just one generation ago. So at worst the Wii U is another Gamecube which just means the Nintendo faithful buy the system to play Mario, Zelda, and/or Metroid.

#40 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Then Nintendo gets out of the console market for a while probably.

#41 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

I personally think Nintendo is in the most dangerous situation since their inception. They are behind the curve technology-wise and visionary-wise. They lost most of the "hardcore" audience and are losing the casuals rapidly as well. The Wii U might fix all of this but I am not seeing it yet.

Maybe even Mario can't save them this time.

#42 Posted by SkylarTrace (118 posts) -

It's Nintendo the company will sell no matter what.

#43 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

They may have to consider making their software interesting again rather than coming up with different gimmicks to mask that you're playing the same game over and over and over.

#44 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

@Hizang: the worst that can happen is what happen with ps3, and it isnt doin to bad right now is it, they both (ps3 360 sit at 50 -54 million a piece)

the market has enough players for your theory not to work , plus this is nintendo we are talking about ,

not sega , the only reasons why sega failed was puting effort into a dated console at the end of the gens life cycle then rushing the next thing for 400 dollars

which was the saturn which lasted only 3 yrs lol ,

so to compare a wii u to dreamcast is like comparing a vhs to a beta tape,

, its a bad comparision , every aspect sega was never popular to begin with, only popular item they released was genesis, the master wasnt really to popular,

they still lost the battle,

also nintnedo has 3ds picking up pace , ds still going strong , and ya when you got back up on the market, your not going to lose,

sega never had back up they lost that when they didnt learn from the first mistake-sega cd!

nintendo has learned from its past mistake -virtual boy, which is why the 3ds has been able to pick up the pace and turn things around so far,

they look at the market to make sure its ready for what its about to release, unlike back in the day where the idiot who got the window seat came out with that idea of virtual boy when 3d was not ready yet ,

nintendo has changed, they do not rush things, and they do listen to complaints, thats more then i can say about sony , i mean lets look,

nintendo heard people whining about -a 2nd analog stick suprise they are answering that they are releasing a 2nd analog stick for 3ds this year in japan ,

nintendo also was able to use last gen hardware to win this gen what makes you think they cant go with just a tad more stronger then this gen hardware and win again , theres a reason why that works out , its called pricing, any one who watched sonys embarrasing five hundred ninty-nine us dollars conference would know the consequences of going for power , nintendo used to do that all the time and look where they ended up -they may have had the cheapest-which ac tually suprised me , but they lost

#45 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Its getting closer..

#46 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

I guess Nintendo would go the way of Sega, Atari, and all the other console manufacturers that failed in the hardware department. Develop first party games on other platforms while trying to make rice wine with a pressure cooker.

#47 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Its getting closer..

Ya, snazzy adverts are up already...

#48 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

Nothing big will really happen if the Wiiu failed, it would more or less be like the gamecube but this time they have a handheald that is successful in the land of the rising sun. So nothing big would happen, it would be worse if monster hunter tri g HD-updated-game would not be a launch game or would not come, then I could see it really fail.

I am going to predict that the same stuff is going to happen with the wiiu as with the wii. So Japan will get games that will never come to the west because there is really not a market for these games. And if the PS4 or newXbox is being shown at e3 next year then the wiiu will be forgotten by gamers really fast because of the lack of graphics.

#49 Posted by superkebabi (37 posts) -

The term 'fail' is very vague. I assume you mean that it will sell terribly, and that 3rd party developers won't want to support it in any way, shape, or form.

I doubt either of these will happen - the install base for the Wii U is there (The word Wii is still in there for a reason), and an advertising blitz is around the corner. Lack of 3rd party support is unlikely, as 3rd parties love pumping out shit on Nintendo consoles. Quality 3rd party games is a different story. Having Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed III is good enough for launch.

The console is not set up to fail at/near launch unless there is a catastrophic event, i.e. a natural disaster/widespread hardware issues/etc.

#50 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@superkebabi:

i think E3 needs to be huge for them, If they make a significant impact with first party software and Wii U exclusive third-party stuff, more core gamers will get on board, regardless of whether they're planning to buy either one of the other two, when they arrive. Nintendo are trying to cut into that core now, attempting to rebalancing things, I think that can only happen with AAA stuff that genuinely wow's gamers.

It could happen with this rumoured Super Mario Universe game (SMG3), if it takes the Galaxy games to a whole new level of innovation. If you think about it, it's more than possible considering what they were able to do with Wii's meager specs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.