Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

What Would it Take for Me to Buy a Wii U?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

From my Blog:

No Caption Provided

In the long long ago of 2007, a time amidst shitty new consoles there was one smart buy left for me. And so was the Gamecube purchased, alongside its finest efforts, some excellent games overall and 2 of the best games ever made. While it's no Vagrant Story on a whim or Valkyrie Profile 2 and Final Fantasy XII on the same day this was perhaps my third best video game related purchase of all time. So what would it take for the Wii U to accomplish such a feat? Let's look back and see what made the first purchase good in these considerations.

No Caption Provided

1. Resident E-vil 4

Once upon a time I was dumb and I liked Resident Evil 2, what can you do. It's still an "okay" game in retrospect but man those controls were atrocious. Really the main redeeming thing about the series is the comedy from the awful story; so what better way to capitalize on that than to make one of the most fun games period and basically treat it like a B movie. RE4 is an awesome, awesome game and one of the few "infinite replay value" games in existence; the game just never stops being fun. So what could come out on the Wii U to be as good as this? Probably nothing realistically, but hey get some solid third party support from struggling companies and maybe you'll find something similar.

No Caption Provided

2. Metroid Prime

Ah Metroid Prime, what a gorgeous, wonderful game. Likely the best presentation ever alongside fun, almost totally unique combat systems and a genuinely interesting, if entirely predictable, storyline. People say Mass Effect was a good series and Metroid Prime just totally annihilates it, as far as Sci Fi series go this is the pristine peak. Super Metroid is a little better, sure, but that doesn't stop Metroid Prime from also being in the top 5 games ever. So yeah, don't make a shitty fucking Metroid game and there you go Nintendo.

Retro is making good/excellent DKC games but while DKC is a fine series it's still not even close to Metroid, likely the best franchise in existence. You don't have to make a game as good as Prime or Super to have an extremely good game in this day and age; just make something that's pretty good relative to those and you're probably set. It could be an old school platformer, a first person shooter, or hell even an FTL with Velocity-esque platforming sections. Just get us out there murdering those poor, defenseless space pirates one way or another.

Metroid Prime 2 is also quite a good game and supplements the main issue I have with the first in that there's a ton of boss fights and the vast majority of them are quite good. Obviously the last last boss (the first last boss was awesome) is not great but aside from that the game was superb; even with the ubiquitous light/dark mechanics of the time.

No Caption Provided

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Paper Mario has always been awesome, in concept and execution; and this game is no exception. With each dungeon you have a completely different exploration mechanic and the combat is easy to get into but somewhat difficult to master, with an extremely addictive leveling system. It's a good traditional RPG and those are precious few these days. What I want on the Wii U is mainly just a shitload of Xenoblade type games; one of those you can get out of the way quite easily by simply rereleasing Xenoblade on it and after that just make 2-3 more over the course of the system's lifetime. Square has some of the best talent out there as well so why not get them to make a non Final Fantasy game again, because basically all of those are amazing, including but not limited to: Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, Valkyrie Profile 2, Dragon Quest VIII, and Chrono Cross. Look, Final Fantasy is good and all but what really made Square impressive was the B team stuff that often exceeded the main product.

No Caption Provided

4. The Price

50 bucks, that's how much the Gamecube was in 2007. Now you can get one for like 35. Every so often there's a forum thread about whether they should buy Metroid Prime; and the answer will always be: it's cheaper to buy Metroid Prime and aGamecube than it is to buy a new console game. Maybe 50 bucks is a pipedream in the immediate future (though likely not at the end of this console cycle); but just have a really nice Black Friday sale and maybe I'll even get one before the end. Right now the Wii U has a lot more good games on it than the other new consoles, but that will ultimately change at least in terms of volume (though perhaps not by that much at this rate); but it just doesn't feel like an upgrade over older systems. However I have more faith that Nintendo will put out an RE4/Metroid Prime caliber game (of which the last console generation was sorely absent, apologies to Dark Souls II and the Last of Us which barely miss the cut) than the other companies so I wouldn't be too displeased in buying one early. So, what price? I'm going to say 150 bucks, but I might spontaneously have a PS4 from an oft trucking brother of mine for at least a few months and that would drive the acceptable price range up to 200 bucks.

No Caption Provided

5. Uh... Zelda?

Full disclosure: while I own both Windwaker and Twilight Princess I've never actually beaten either of them. The reason is simple: A Link to the Past is better at doing the same exact thing. But random spatterings of Zelda in games such as Hyrule Warriors and Bayonetta 2 will have to suffice. Really I just want a lot of good third party games, I mean if Zelda or Mario were miraculously amazing then sure I'd go for those but chances are they'll just be the same as always (3D World giving a somewhat different spin). What I ultimately want from a console is 10 great games, doesn't matter what genre they are though in the case of racing or rhythm games they'd have to be particularly good.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I would buy a Wii U instantly if Nintendo actually released a new Metroid game. No questions asked. It could go back to the sidescroller (ideal) or something like Prime again, and I'd be so on board. I've felt personally slighted by Nintendo for essentially abandoning the series for the foreseeable future. Still don't understand why they have.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EXTomar

This sort of sounds like what happened with me with the Gamecube where I ended up buying Windwaker and a handful of games on my "must have list" then nothing else. Even though I got it dirt cheap it still feels very much like a waste and it has never come out storage since unlike other systems.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To get me to buy a Wii U all they have to do is step up their progress and release the new Xeno game stateside.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WesternWizard

@karkarov: Xenoblade X is the other reason (aside from Bayonetta) I feel it is worth it to get a Wii U, though the now back catalog of games like Mario Kart helps too :).

So ready to lose another 100+ hours to a MonolithSoft game.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't think you're going to ever buy one, lol.

I mean, I don't think NIntendo is deaf. I think they hear the cries for a new Metroid and better use of their franchises. I just don't think they want to make them. Honestly, it's been two years, and they haven't even hinted at a Metroid. At E3 this year, they didn't exactly break ground. They announced solid, predictable things with a couple surprises. But nothing people have been clamoring for and no real big new third party thing. And after the 3DS Paper Mario, I think they are running dry on new ideas to keep that series alive.

I hope these things happen, but nothing indicates they will. Good wish list, though. I like them all, though I already own a Wii U. So I guess I'm hoping you're wish list happens so I have a reason to use it.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By Lelcar

I just still legitimately enjoy most first and second party Nintendo games so I will always buy their consoles for that.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking about this just yesterday in preparation for Black Friday. Should I buy an Xbox One or a Wii U? I currently own a PC, PS4 and Vita and am looking to buy a new console. I checked each systems exclusives (even the ones that are announced but unreleased) and decided that on the Microsoft side the only games I really wanted to play were Dead Rising 3 and sunset overdrive. I then realized that I can just play dead rising on PC and that there are way more games Nintendo offers that i want to play. Bayonetta 2, Mario kart, Super Mario 3d World, Super Smash Bros, Xenoblade.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially with the price point.

I feel like this gen, more than any other, I would buy a the Nintendo if only because it feels like the most different experience.

I have so many games to finish on PC it may be a while before I do buy one, but I think it would be the most interesting purchase for me right now as anything else I want is on PC anyway.

That being said I do want a PS4, too, if only for a select few exclusives I'm still not sure will be on PC.

I don't know. It's so hard to figure out right now that I try not to think about it. The only new game I'm even purchasing this year is The Evil Within.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By EuanDewar

Resident Evil 4 was easily my favourite Wii game. I know that's a bit dismissive of the wider roster of great original games the Wii had but hot damn do I just love Resi 4 too much.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The cheapest sku for an xbox 360 or a ps3 is sitting at $200. The machines cost to much to sell at your $50 pipe dream. Maybe way down the road you'll find a Wii U on sale for $150, but I kind of doubt it will happen anytime soon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the slight minority when I say that I enjoyed Metroid Prime more than Super. I know that Prime does have a lot of followers, but I think Super does even more so. I am actually already convinced to buy a Wii U, but a new Metroid would be the best thing yet for the system, behind the new Zelda.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@xyzygy: I think Prime is like the 5th best game ever and Super is the 2nd so hard to really compare the two. One's really incredible and amazing as Peter Dinklage says, and the other one's also incredible and amazing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I agree with a lot of your points Fredchuckdave (Metroid Prime is a heck of a game) although the price point sounds like a pipe dream, but hey I won't complain if it happens.

But for me personally the main obstacle towards WiiU ownership is the gamepad itself.

Everytime I get tempted to buy a WiiU I go to a big box retailer and play a few demos with it it. I just don't like it. It's not comfortable for me, the buttons feel cheap, and I don't feel the thumbsticks move with the kid of precision I'd like. I just can't see myself playing a Zelda or a Xenoblade game in 4 hour bursts happily with that thing. It's the same issue I had with the Wii and why I ended up barely using it.

Yeah I suppose there are games that can be played on a GameCube controller, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the console doesn't it?

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I want one for zombie U,Earthbound, windwaker and mario kart. But i know when I get it, It will mostly sit there.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For me, they need to get the price down to $200. And they need to have that next Zelda out along with a proper Mario game in the vein of Galaxy/Mario 64. Mario Kart is out thats good but I also want Metroid. I would take a good Metroid Prime or a Zelda so they got some room to work with.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Tom_omb

@thehbk: Secret: Super Mario 3D World is that game.

I think it's the superior game to both Galaxies. I wouldn't put Galaxy in the same category as 64 or Sunshine. Don't take that as a judgement of their quality, just that I'd break up the generations of 3D Mario that way. I don't expect we'll see a return to the large world exploration of 64 and Sunshine and 3D World has the fantastic obstacle courses of Galaxy while trimming the fat of the useless hubs.

In 3D World they tossed out any conceits that Nintendo ever had any interest in telling a story with Mario to get the fun. Then they borrow some elements from classic Mario games like flag poles and powerups. There's also multiplayer if you want it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I already own a WiiU (I was sold after this year's E3), but I just wanna stress the fact that I would fist fight a fucking bear if it meant Nintendo would make a new Metroid game on WiiU. I think I would also settle for one on the 3DS also at this point.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy one for that Xenoblade game, maybe. The combat didn't look great when they showed it off but it might have just been early days. Also the game needs to be enjoyable offline because honestly, I don't trust the Wii U to be online for much longer after the game is released and I don't want to end up with a fun game like that which I can't play because there's no servers.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Corevi

@slag: You can play most games with the Pro controller which looks like this.

It's great
    It's great

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I manage to save up some money, I'll probably buy it sometime come November or December, although realistically, that's not gonna happen before early 2015. So far the only "current-gen" console I own is a Vita and I'm extremely pleased with that system finding it a vast improvement over the PS3 and Xbox 360. So I think I'll continue supporting the smaller, often unfairly ignored segment of the console market, since I'm not interested in PC gaming and I really, really dislike PS Plus and Xbox Gold.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid: Not to derail it, but if you own a Vita why do you dislike PS+? It'll give you 2+ games every month as well as additional discounts during sales. Right now it's probably the best on Vita when stacked up to the other two Sony systems.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickhead said:

I would buy a Wii U instantly if Nintendo actually released a new Metroid game. No questions asked. It could go back to the sidescroller (ideal) or something like Prime again, and I'd be so on board. I've felt personally slighted by Nintendo for essentially abandoning the series for the foreseeable future. Still don't understand why they have.

*coughothermcough*

Nintendo would have to remove their draconian region locking to get me to buy a WiiU. That's not likely to happen anytime in the near future.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid: Not to derail it, but if you own a Vita why do you dislike PS+? It'll give you 2+ games every month as well as additional discounts during sales. Right now it's probably the best on Vita when stacked up to the other two Sony systems.

I just don't like that you don't own the games you're getting, you're only renting them for as long as your paying Sony. I had PS Plus over a year and found it pretty much derailed my enjoyment of games. Instead of buying a few games I got excited about, I would just download whatever was on Plus, then play that until I got bored with it. It meant I played shit like Hitman Absolution and Crysis 2, while the renting model means I'll probably never get around to buy Vanquish, because I've already finished it on Plus, something that really bums me out.

The pay-to-play-online model is also something I find absolutely dispecable. It doesn't sound like the online service is any faster on PS4 than it was on PS3, so what the fuck am I paying for? Is it really fair I have to an additional 50 dollar fee a year to gain acces to half of the content of most on a system? The discounts mostly seem to be 10 percent off with PS Plus so that hardly seems worth it.

Overall, I know why people love and defend the service, I understand that on its face PS Plus is an amazing value, I just can't get behind it for the reasons listed above.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@nickhead said:

*coughothermcough*

Nintendo would have to remove their draconian region locking to get me to buy a WiiU. That's not likely to happen anytime in the near future.

I was planning on at least trying Other M at some point, but I don't consider that a Metroid.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#27  Edited By Slag

@corevi said:

@slag: You can play most games with the Pro controller which looks like this.

It's great
    It's great

Yeah If I get the system, I'll definitely get one of those. It looks a ton more comfortable than the version they had for the Wii.

It just seems silly to me to a buy system though if you don't like primary gimmick/experience it has to offer. The gamepad is supposedly what the WiiU is all about (just as I suppose Kinect was what XBOne had to offer).

I imagine at some point I'll get a WiiU because Nintendo may be my favorite developer, but I definitely have mixed feelings about it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By TheHBK

@tom_omb: Are you like from the Dan Ryckert school of thought? Both Galaxies are superior to Sunshine that is for sure. And I have played 3D world, I enjoyed my time with 3D Land but didn't think 3D World was what I am looking for.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PDXSonic

Another Metroid Prime game would certainly help convince me to buy a WiiU, especially because you can get a refurb 32GB WiiU for $200.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the release date for the Wii U Smash Bros. was released I bought it one, i'm currently playing Windwaker on the pad with is singly the greatest invention ever! Who needs a tv?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By brandondryrock

For those looking for cheap Wii Us, they sell refurbished units on the Nintendo online store for $200. It is the black 32 gb model. It also comes with a copy of Nintendoland.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.