Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Where does the wii u stand right now?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So now that both the Ps4 and Xbox one have been out for a while, I've been thinking about the wii u lately and where it stands and what place it serves in this console landscape.

With both these new console being much more powerful, and with the sex appeal that comes with being the new, exciting things, I'm wondering where that's going to leave the wii u? While the Mario's, Zelda's, and etc. are probably going to be great, someone who owns one of these new consoles is probably not going to play multipolar form games on the wii u because there going to look and perform better on the new machines. And wii u even had so e issues with multipolar form games compared to 360/ps3.

So, essentially it's down to exclusive games. As so done who owns a os4, I'm wondering if it's worth getting a wii u just so I can play a handful of Mario, Zelda, smash, and whatever other Nintendo made games that are good.

At what point does paying 300 dollars to play a handful of exclusives become up feasible?

I want this system to do well, and I would like to get one to play Both Mario games, the upcoming new Zelda game, and maybe wind waker, but I'm honestly nervous about buying it because it'll only be for exclusives made by Nintendo and any other good exclusives. I would just get multiplatforms on my ps4.

And honestly, I do t know what the future of the wii u holds as far as support.

What are your thoughts?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A repeat of last time (third parties abandoning the platform) but without the casual market to pick up the slack?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The 3DS has so many great Nintendo games, I'm not sure who the WiiU is for.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

@raven_sword said:

At what point does paying 300 dollars to play a handful of exclusives become up feasible?

It feels like an eventuality. The price will keep coming down and more games will be coming to it, and eventually, it will just be a side console to pick up to play a few classics. I imagine many gamers having a PS4 or Xbox One and getting a Wii U alongside it far more often than getting both next gen consoles. If they bring the games, it will end up selling fine over the next few years.

I haven't picked it up yet, but with assorted releases in the future, I imagine I will get it at some point in the next two years.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazielCuts

@truthtellah: That's what the Wii was for me, although I bought the Wii at launch and was my first console of last gen. When themes of 'Wii60' rolled around I was pretty much in that camp until MGS4 came out. I bought the few exclusives, Galaxy, Kart, Smash, Metroid. Then between the offerings on 360 and PS3 the Wii got dusty and I bought less games for it until I stopped playing it. I even bought the project rainfall games to show support for more games like that on the system and put about 25 hours into Xenoblade and liked my time with it. But when it came down to it, it wasn't enough to bring me back, it felt old and albeit abandoned by the industry as a whole.

I don't think the Wii U can survive being just a supplemental console this time around.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah:

I don't think the Wii U can survive being just a supplemental console this time around.

If they can get the price right and keep the games coming, I think they can. And if they can figure out all of their online stuff and really commit to accounts where people have their classic Nintendo games, they can continue to sell it as a Nintendo Box a lot of gamers just have to get eventually.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just gonna be another Nintendo console that most people buy just to play Nintendo games on. And I'm personally kinda fine with that......definitely hoping we get a truly original Mario game at some point, though. 3D World is cool, but I can't help but feel kind of underwhelmed by it. Also I'm totally sick of having to hold down a button to run.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Also I'm totally sick of having to hold down a button to run.

Other things the Mario franchise could do away with:
    * 1 ups
    * timers
    * locking you out of content because you lack X amount of stars.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox: Literally non of the 3D Mario games aside from 3D Land required you to hold down a run button. It's kind of annoying that this one has one when it kinda doesn't need one at all.....Wait, you're able to play this with the D-pad on the Wii remote, aren't you? Alright, I guess I see why they added one, but it's still super annoying and hurts my thumb to have to constantly hold down a run button.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine, if you will, a line-up of consoles. It is long, there are many platforms standing in line. Just ahead of the PS3, Wii, and 360, the Wii U stands directly beside the PS4 and XBONE; together, they stand behind Steamboxes and PCs, who in turn stand behind the group known as mogaming (mobile gaming). If you look hard and intently enough, you can see something ahead of mogaming; it's far in the distance, and difficult to make out. If you could make out what it is... you'd probably call it The Next Big Thing. It's been featured in Star Trek for years, though the new movies forgot about it.

There is only one thing standing alone, apart from this domino-esque line-up of gaming platforms... It is the Ouya. It has a brother, but no one's seen it yet. They look about the same, maybe that's why the brother's so hard to find.

@xymox said:

@steadyingmeat said:

* 1 ups

* timers

The score still does something for you, huh? I personally find little use for it.

I think they've kept those mechanics in to challenge players and enrich the gameplay. Those mechanics certainly influence the way I play the game, and not in a negative way.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xymox

@noblenerf said:
    @xymox said:

@steadyingmeat said:

* 1 ups

* timers

The score still does something for you, huh? I personally find little use for it.

I think they've kept those mechanics in to challenge players and enrich the gameplay. Those mechanics certainly influence the way I play the game, and not in a negative way.

Honestly the score can go too. I feel achievements/trophies scratched that itch better. It was always a bummer to type in your initials on games and then play them again some day and those initials were gone. Scores were kind of just one of those things people would take a picture of their screen and send to nintendo power, which was cool back in the day, but there are just better ways to do it now (in my opinion).

I can see why those things still make sense for people but for me it just doesn't anymore. It influences the way I play the game and for me it's in a negative way. It makes me rush through a stage and then I don't go back to it again unless I know there's an easy power-up that I can grab for use in a later stage.

Most Mario stages now are huge (to me), and seem to be designed to be done multiple times. My background is with SMB1-3 in which you beat a stage, and moved on to the next one. Don't get me wrong, I still like being able to jump back in, but I don't like when these things combine. That's when it becomes a mess to me. When I reach a point and it's like "nope, you can't play a new stage because you didn't go through those other level enough times/thoroughly enough/you didn't find the hidden stars" while also being under time pressure during those stages.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

until nintendo finally puts its games on other platforms it's the only place where I can play their games.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

On a shelf in my TV unit.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

On store shelves?

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Illuminosopher

I really like the games Nintendo makes, I do not care about 3rd party games. Right now I only play Indie games(I play on my PC) and Nintendo games and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wii U also has backwards compatibility with Wii and all my wii shop games.

I also have a PS2 with all my old PS1 and 2 games so I think I'm good on games.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a shelf in my TV unit.

Yep, same here with a shelf full of games I got over the holidays to play. No games you say??? Well for someone who just picked up one in the last few months and sold their wii a very long time ago there is a ton of stuff to play. Most of these games I got at a fraction of the price too. I got Mario WiiU and 3D world AND Galaxy 2, mario party 9, Zelda WindWaker, Rayman Legends, Wond.101, Zombie U, Mario Kart, House of the Dead 2and 3 with 2 guns, Wii bowling in HD, Lego Marvel, Trine 2, NES Remix, Nano Assault,.....I know Im forgetting some.

I got Bayonetta 2 and the new Donkey Kong reserved. Smash coming this year and Im sure a Zelda and maybe a Metroid game around the corner.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xymox: Oh wow, uh, sorry for being kind of a jackass in my other post, I thought you were being sarcastic. :P

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword

As something I'm really only going to use for Nintendo games, I can't see spending 300 dollars for that. It would have to drop to at least 250 I think. 200 ideal.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The Wii U is in a bad position because why would a teenager want a Wii U with its non next gen sex appeal?
    Even tough there are games that I personally wanting for, there is nothing for the annoying teenager who thinks Shooters or specifically shoot the Arab terrorist or the Russian Communist and then have a bright flag how much the murican army is the only army.

So yeah, Nintendo might be screwed.But who knows if there is a FPS mario out there with hardcore violence then I guess the annoying teenagers will jump on that. Also princess peach needs more sex appeal for this too work and the turtle-frog dragon also needs a change into a Russian-Arabic-Chinese man.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At the bottom of a grave.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Next to my 360, on the shelf below my PS4 & PS3.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By DarthOrange

People who like multiplayer gaming. You know, with other people sitting in the same room.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's where you go to play the Nintendo games. It's basically like the Gamecube except for the part where its sales are weaker.

@asurastrike said:

People who like multiplayer gaming. You know, with other people sitting in the same room.

Judging by its install base, looks like there aren't that many of those kinds of people

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know what we need right now? 15 more of these threads.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: well, it is a problem and I'd worth discussing or worrying about.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the whole "Wii U is for people who want to play Nintendo exclusives" argument though... doesn't the 3DS fit that bill just fine? What does the Wii U offer that the 3DS couldn't? The only one I see being a problem is probably Super Smash Bros. Or is that just a jerk way to look at things? And perhaps it's super selfish, but I really would like to see more of the Wii U development put into the 3DS instead.

@xymox: Oh wow, uh, sorry for being kind of a jackass in my other post, I thought you were being sarcastic. :P

Don't remember the jackassery you speak of, but no worries either way. XD
    I also feel that the franchise requires more than just adding a cat suit at this point. It would be nice to see something innovative/original or experimental. Like I heard about the Luigi game being harder right from the get-go, that's interesting.

But the direction I'd want Mario to go probably isn't where the fanbase and nintendo would want it to go and that's fine. Or rather, if Mario isn't for me anymore, that fine. There are other platformers that better suit my playstyle (which is, to take my time on a level and not be under time pressure/free exploration).

This is pretty much where I'm at. Seems like an either/or situation. Already having a 3DS I don't see myself grabbing a Wii U any time soon. In the end what matters are the games, sure, but at the moment it seems like you get a sort of "minimum return" from grabbing an extra system "focused on Nintendo franchises".

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with the Wii U being a system purely for exclusives because honestly, I think Nintendo makes the best exclusives out of the whole bunch. I love Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pikmin, Smash, etc. I expect the console to be somewhat relative to how the Gamecube performed during it's lifetime, and I fondly look back on that console because of so many great Nintendo games.

mousse_gallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

Sadly the WiiU will most likely IMO be another Gamecube unless it makes the u-turn that the 3ds made.

I hope Nintendo learns from all of this that the big 3rd parties in the usa are worthless and instead they need to watch/support the newer/smaller indies (like the M#9 team and the Dust: an elysian tail guy).

I feel nintendo needs to make games that have not seen much love in a while. EX: F-zero, Advance wars, golden sun, chibi robo, 2d Metriod, and trauma team/center to name a few.

AND get the VC on both systems really going.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.