Where is the best place to buy a Wii U game pad?

#1 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

Topic says it all. Can't seem to find anything on eBay, and Amazon still hates Nintendo hardware.

#2 Edited by CaLe (3964 posts) -

They aren't selling them separate from the console itself. There are no games that require 2 GamePads. (I'm assuming you mean the tablet GamePad).

#3 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Why do you need just the gamepad?

#4 Posted by The_Tolman (432 posts) -

Someone answer this question for me, can there be more then one gamepad per console? I thought it was like a Highlander thing.

#5 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

I need just the pad because I bought a console on eBay. Didn't come with the pad. It was cheaper, and the only place I could find the system without being price gouged.

Did I just screw myself?

#6 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@The_Tolman said:

Someone answer this question for me, can there be more then one gamepad per console? I thought it was like a Highlander thing.

I recall hearing that they'll start selling the gamepads once games that require two of them exist.

#7 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

No. You're fucked.

#8 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

Fucking Nintendo.

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (2996 posts) -
@Vrikk

I need just the pad because I bought a console on eBay. Didn't come with the pad. It was cheaper, and the only place I could find the system without being price gouged.

Did I just screw myself?

Man, whoever sold you that is an asshole. I'm assuming you read the description very carefully before bidding.
#10 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

Why did you do that?

#11 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

@Vrikk

Did I just screw myself?

Man, whoever sold you that is an asshole. I'm assuming you read the description very carefully before bidding.

Because I thought, "hey, I can just buy a gamepad separately and not have to spend the $500 that all other online stores are charging." Maybe I was stupid for assuming that you could buy the controller separately like all other consoles that have ever been released.

I just saw that the seller is selling the Gamepad itself separately. For $150. So he's still price gouging.

I'm filing a claim to get my money back for the console since it's effectively useless.

#12 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

Call Nintendo and tell them you lost your gamepad (you were traveling or something). Surely there's a protocol for that situation.

#13 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

You made a big mistake. Sorry pal

#14 Posted by NegativeCero (2996 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@NegativeCero said:

@Vrikk

Did I just screw myself?

Because I thought, "hey, I can just buy a gamepad separately and not have to spend the $500 that all other online stores are charging." Maybe I was stupid for assuming that you could buy the controller separately like all other consoles that have ever been released.

I just saw that the seller is selling the Gamepad itself separately. For $150. So he's still price gouging.

I'm filing a claim to get my money back for the console since it's effectively useless.

No, it's totally understandable that you would think that. Especially if you haven't followed the information Nintendo has released about it. Hopefully you can get your money back though.

#15 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

You probably screwed yourself. Unless ebay is willing to help you back out of it (although it sounds like they were clear in terms of what is being offered).

And if you look around, it does not seem like supply is all that constrained.....

#16 Posted by Nelander (177 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

Most likely you bought a regular wii instead of a wiiU as I dont see why anyone would sell a wiiU without the gamepad as it would be of no use for them (I guess they might somehow broke them or something but still sounds weird)

#17 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Fucking Nintendo.

it's not nintendo's fault you bought it from Ebay lol.

#18 Edited by Brenderous (1100 posts) -

Daaang. You got hosed. Sorry, man.

#19 Posted by Kieran_Smith5 (141 posts) -

I've been hanging around electronics departments of a few local Walmarts. There is so much confusion over this system.

#20 Edited by ahgunsillyo (448 posts) -
#21 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

@Marz said:

@Vrikk said:

Fucking Nintendo.

I'm not blaming Nintendo for the seller, I'm blaming them that it hasn't been clearly spelled out at every corner that you cannot buy extra gamepads like you could have with every other system that has been created. I'm sure there are plenty of moms and dads who are having this same problem when they buy these new at retail, or are at least confused.

#22 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@Nelander said:

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

Most likely you bought a regular wii instead of a wiiU as I dont see why anyone would sell a wiiU without the gamepad as it would be of no use for them (I guess they might somehow broke them or something but still sounds weird)

Or they sold it separately solely so they could price gouge on that.

I wouldn't call nintentdo either, as they would probably either a) want you to send the tablet back if you lied and told them it was faulty, or b) not help you because you bought it from a reseller

#23 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2452 posts) -

Call nintendo customer support and say you "lost" yours and see how much a replacement is.

#24 Posted by Hells (69 posts) -

Its probably just going to be easier to sell the console over ebay for whatever you paid for it...

Then save the money and wait till next year and buy one when better games are out for it (like Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101)

#25 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

That's actually a smart idea yoshi. I'll try that.

And I understand that Reggie could have said it at a press conference, but surely I'm not the only one that just took "extra controllers" for granted and the norm.

#26 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@Marz said:

@Vrikk said:

Fucking Nintendo.

I'm not blaming Nintendo for the seller, I'm blaming them that it hasn't been clearly spelled out at every corner that you cannot buy extra gamepads like you could have with every other system that has been created. I'm sure there are plenty of moms and dads who are having this same problem when they buy these new at retail, or are at least confused.

Except that people would then be buying just the gamepad and wondering why it doesn't work with their wii. The sales staff should be able to explain that to the customers, and also be able to explain that their is no need for a second pad as nothing has been released that will support it. I'm not going to give Nintendo a pass for the shitty job they've done in explaining to the masses what this is, but if you're visiting this site, you should be more in the know than they are

#27 Edited by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I bought this one for 100$... A real steal.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24426 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

You sure did. Not sure how to help you out here.

#29 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

All fixed! The seller agreed to sell me the Gamepad he had listed for $100. So all in all, I paid $390.

Sure, it's $40 above retail, but all shippnig was free and I didn't have to pay store taxes, so I guess after all it wasn't nearly as bad.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15918 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

All fixed! The seller agreed to sell me the Gamepad he had listed for $100. So all in all, I paid $390.

Sure, it's $40 above retail, but all shippnig was free and I didn't have to pay store taxes, so I guess after all it wasn't nearly as bad.

Was it the Deluxe edition? Also did you get your copy of Nintendo Land and all the other little baubles with it?

#31 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

Yes, Deluxe edition. I'll be getting everything but Nintendo Land... which I had no interest in anyway.

#32 Posted by 71Ranchero (2739 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

I bought this one for 100$... A real steal.

Better off in the long run.

#33 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

@NegativeCero said:

@Vrikk

Did I just screw myself?

Okay, you need to calm down.

• No one is price-gouging here. The console is being sold at below break-even for Nintendo. That means that the company loses money for each console sold.
  • Nintendo announced a while back (like at around E3 time I think?) that the gamepad would indeed cost 150$.
  • The console isn't effectively useless, I think. You can still play games that don't require the gamepad, and do some other stuff with it. The seller may hold that against you.

I guess you tried to fool the system and done fucked up. It costs what costs. Sorry.

#34 Posted by Vrikk (896 posts) -

I wasn't freaking out. No caps involved. Just realized that a mistake was probably made and was finding options.

Also, the $150 was the starting bid on eBay. It would have gone higher.

#35 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Now I think the seller's an idiot. He probably thought he had a foolproof plan to score big by separating the two. I guess people didn't really want to buy a WiiU without the gamepad (which is probably the selling point since a lot of people don't realise its a different system). Thus you ended up getting the console for cheap and he makes, at best, $40 dollars on the deal. It's a far cry from $1200 360's and PS3's

#36 Posted by Fredddi43 (328 posts) -
#37 Edited by blackichigo (170 posts) -

@Fredddi43: That is amazing.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (24426 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Vrikk said:

@NegativeCero said:

@Vrikk

Did I just screw myself?

Okay, you need to calm down.

• No one is price-gouging here. The console is being sold at below break-even for Nintendo. That means that the company loses money for each console sold.
  • Nintendo announced a while back (like at around E3 time I think?) that the gamepad would indeed cost 150$.
  • The console isn't effectively useless, I think. You can still play games that don't require the gamepad, and do some other stuff with it. The seller may hold that against you.

I guess you tried to fool the system and done fucked up. It costs what costs. Sorry.

The Gamepad is required for setting up the console and navigating certain menus. Selling the console without it is a dick move and nothing more.

#39 Posted by TheMasterDS (2052 posts) -

Return that shit and go looking for Wii Us in real life. I was able to find one pretty easily on Wednesday though, admittedly, that was before Black Friday. Still if you're able to walk in off the street and find one during the Launch Week that's not a good sign.

#40 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

@Vrikk said:

Did I just screw myself?

I don't even

Post pics or a link to the auction

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.