Where Should I Pre Order?

#1 Posted by Corey_F (18 posts) -

So I know that I want to get a Wii U, and that sadly means I am probably going to have to pre order the stupid thing to get the $350 version. The problem is that it seems that gamestop is the only place to pre order the system. I hate having to deal with gamestop but there is nothing on Amazon or any other websites offering pre orders for the system itself they just seem to be offering game pre orders. Should I just go ahead and deal with gamestop or risk the wait for other retailers? Also whats the deal how did gamestop get this exclusivity for the Wii U?

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Well, considering that it doesn't come out until mid-November, I say wait until Amazon releases its pre-order details.

#3 Posted by wewantsthering (1569 posts) -

Give it time. The pre-order pages will show up other places. I have a feeling this thing isn't going to exactly fly off shelves...

#4 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1701 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

Give it time. The pre-order pages will show up other places. I have a feeling this thing isn't going to exactly fly off shelves...

I disagree not necessarily because its the WiiU, but because almost all new hardware runs short at launch.

#5 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Amazon. Don't give your money to GameStop/Best Buy/other horrible retail outlet.

#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1569 posts) -

@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:

@wewantsthering said:

I disagree not necessarily because its the WiiU, but because almost all new hardware runs short at launch.

Good point. Maybe they're only stock up a couple thousand so they can say it sold out like crazy! :-p

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Jrinswand said:

Amazon. Don't give your money to GameStop/Best Buy/other horrible retail outlet.

Ive never had issue with any outlet. 
#8 Edited by Coafi (1489 posts) -

Gamestop is currently taking pre-orders and they have some Wii trade-in offer going on. So check that out if you don't that place. If not, well I guess Amazon will start taking pre-orders soon.

Edit:

Here's the promo: "GameStop has a promotion that will give you up to $150 credit toward your new Wii U with a game system trade-in. You'll get a healthy $140 for a slim PS3 trade, or $115 for an OG PS3 or Slim Xbox 360 trade. A 3DS or Vita gets you $90. But they'll only give you $50 for your Wii. The pricing on this offer is valid from today through September 23, so get your pre-order in now."

I didn't know it was only $50 for the Wii.

#9 Posted by Lavapotamus (199 posts) -

Pre-ordered mine at GameStop today. Yes the business has shoddy practices, but I think that was literally the best customer service I've ever had in a retail setting. The lady that helped me was courteous, informative and friendly. No subscription or card was pushed upon me and she was happy to discuss the console a bit while she worked on the pre-order.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if some of you hate GameStop but go there to pre-order anyway, don't be a dick to the staff. Some of them are stellar despite your preconceptions!

#10 Posted by Vonocourt (2133 posts) -

Pre-ordered at Gamestop. Called Besty Buy and they had no clue when they were accepting pre-orders('bout three hours later it seems), and a fifty dollar deposit was a lot cheaper than I thought it would be...even when the next few months are gonna be tight because of all the releases.

Ohh, but the guy asked me if I wanted to pre-order New Super Mario Bros. I was all like "naw dawg" and then he said "have a good day" as I left, and I responded in kind. What a cock.

#11 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2695 posts) -

Waiting for Amazon. No sense in paying tax at Gamestop and getting it 5-10 days after release.

#12 Edited by skrutop (3615 posts) -

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

Waiting for Amazon. No sense in paying tax at Gamestop and getting it 5-10 days after release.

I live in PA, and Amazon started charging sales tax last month.

You'll definitely need to pre-order. Hardware is typically hard to find at launch, and it's coming out right around the holiday shopping season. I don't have a Wii, and I haven't seen any compelling reason to choose one place over another, so I'd go with Amazon. However, if I had a Wii then I would probably trade it in at Gamestop and take the (crappy) credit. I agree about getting the $350 bundle; it seems like a good deal over the base model.

I'm going to hold off on the Wii U. I want to see what it's like over the course of its first year. I'm intrigued by the DVR functionality, though I don't know how well it will work in practice. I like the idea of being able to play on the tablet if someone else is watching TV, but I don't think it's worth $350 for that alone. I'll find out what MS and Sony have in store, and maybe look at the Wii U when it has its first price drop.

#13 Edited by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

To anyone waiting for Amazon - you should probably stop waiting...

Turns out that they aren't going to have the WiiU up for pre-order due to a disagreement/fued between them and Nintendo.

At least, that's what Joystiq are reporting.

#14 Posted by planetary (349 posts) -

Amazon isn't offering them. Best Buy sold out. I refuse to shop at Game Stop. Toys R Us had it available, so there it is.

#15 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

I hear almost all the major retailers in NA are sold out on pre-orders.

#16 Edited by Smashlampjaw (220 posts) -

I wanted one kinda, oh well It'll save me some money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.