Why ABXY, why no ABYZ

#1 Edited by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

Just watching the Wii U live show and wondered, why do controllers have the first two letters of the alphabet and not the last two. Is there a reason why Z is not used on gamepads?.

Edit: Title *Why not* noticed as soon as i hit post topic.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@Twiggy199

Just watching the Wii U live show and wondered, why do controllers have the first two letters of the alphabet and not the last two. Is there a reason why Z is not used on gamepads?.

There has been a "Z" button on several controllers. The N64 controller and the gamecube one as well.
#3 Posted by Kato (154 posts) -

Dude, the Wii U's controller has Z. Z is they triggers, Zr and Zl.

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
#5 Edited by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Twiggy199

There has been a "Z" button on several controllers. The N64 controller and the gamecube one as well.

I just mean the face buttons, didn't the n64 have AB and 4 C buttons and i believe the gamecube had ABXY and C was like an analogue stick. Maybe im wrong.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

X and Y are the most commonly used mathematical variables, or something.

#7 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -
@Twiggy199

I just mean the face buttons, didn't the n64 have AB and 4 C buttons and i believe the gamecube had ABXY and C was like an analogue stick. Maybe im wrong.

If your talking strictly face buttons I do believe the 6 button Sega Genesis controllers had "Z" buttons.
#8 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

@Jack268: That was my 1st thought, Z-axis i mean.

#9 Edited by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Because those are the two most contrasting letters to most humans. A/B X/Y they're very commonly used when you need to differentiate two things by a designation, this has roots in mathematics and geometry (and many other fields besides), X and Y on graphs are the base, with Z only used more rarely for 3d space representation or graphs, everywhere in equations (with Z being rarer); human chromosome designation, etc ...Anybody with a basic school education will generally instantly recognize, differentiate and remember the X/Y much more easily.

#10 Posted by Twiggy199 (496 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

Because those are the two most contrasting letters to most humans. A/B X/Y they're very commonly used when you need to differentiate two things by a designation, this has roots in mathematics and geometry, X and Y on graphs are the base, with Z only used more rarely for 3d space representation or graphs, everywhere in equations (with Z being rarer); human chromosome designation, etc ...Anybody with a basic school education will generally instantly recognize, differentiate and remember the X/Y much more easily.

I believe this is my answer, thanks duder.

#11 Edited by Trylks (826 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

X and Y are the most commonly used mathematical variables, or something.

QFT.

Also A and B are the most used constants, and thus all four are probably the most used letters.

PD: if you are going to ask "why u no" :P you should ask for ABCD or XYZV, not ABYZ, that doesn't make much sense.

#12 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

@Twiggy199: Glad to help.

Another important hing to note is that alphabets can differ between languages, while those mathematic/scientific designations and use is almost universal. For example in russian, z is not at the end of the alphabet but closer to the front, and X/Y don't even exist as such. But even a russian who does not speak english will still recognize A/B X/Y, because they're still used in mathematics.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Trylks said:

Also A and B are the most used constants, and thus all four are probably the most used letters.

By that logic, the buttons should be ETAO.

#14 Posted by ajamafalous (11849 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@Trylks said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Twiggy199: Glad to help.

Another important hing to note is that alphabets can differ between languages, while those mathematic/scientific designations and use is almost universal. For example in russian, z is not at the end of the alphabet but closer to the front, and X/Y don't even exist as such. But even a russian who does not speak english will still recognize A/B X/Y, because they're still used in mathematics.

#15 Edited by Trylks (826 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Trylks said:

Not really, sorry for not making it explicit but the point is they are the most used letters when used voluntarily as "stand alone" letters to name something. Vowels are probably the most used letters when considering letters that are in some word, nice link though.

PD: by vowel I mean a, e, i, o and u.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.