Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Why are you buying the Wii U?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

I love Nintendo games and I buy every console because I want to play all the games!

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@yoshimitz707 said:

I love Nintendo games and I buy every console because I want to play all the games!

Good reason, I personally am going to wait at least a year to see what kind of support it gets, I don't want to pay that much just for 1st party games personally.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ducksworth

I actually just cancelled my pre-order, I never expected the employee to feel so offended that I was doing so. I will buy a WiiU down the line because I love Nintendo games, especially Zelda. The WiiU is also getting some great third party support so stuff like Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 and whatever else comes down the line will further justify a purchase for me.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chontamenti

@Ducksworth: So why did you cancel it then?

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Ducksworth said:

I actually just cancelled my pre-order, I never expected the employee to feel so offended that I was doing so. I will buy a WiiU down the line because I love Nintendo games, especially Zelda. The WiiU is also getting some great third party support so stuff like Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 and whatever else comes down the line will further justify a purchase for me.

Lol wow, that's pretty unproffesional to get emotional over a damn cancellation. Even if I owned stock in Nintendo, I wouldn't care what you personally do. And also, same boat, only I am going to be a bit more skeptical until I see a lot of traction. As much as I like mario kart and smash brothers, I can't justify buying an entire console for a few games. So I am going to see how devs approach it, especially after the sony and MS console launches.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morningstar

I'll probably wait a year or so, when there are more games I want to play.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm adamant that Rayman will be released later on other platforms...

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By WonderboyCoz

Well, Nintendo Games and its like the DS got made into a console. Also, I like shiny new things and have the money for it.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@BeachThunder said:

I'm adamant that Rayman will be released later on other platforms...

I had that same thought, I am guessing next spring it will be out for ps3, 360 and vita.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ducksworth

It's got a tonne of great games coming down the line and I'm sure as we near the end of the "launch window" we'll see some even better titles but I took a realistic look at the console and its games and realized that there is nothing in there that I truly, truly must have. Zelda, Metroid, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, jRPG's, those are the kinds of things that would really excite me for a Nintendo console. All those things are almost certainly coming but until they do I don't mind waiting for them...and hopefully a price drop.

It was kind of funny and I didn't really mind it all too much...until he asked me why I was cancelling. I told him that it was something I can live without for the time being but he kept on prodding. So I told him that there was nothing in the launch line up I had to have and his response was "24 titles and there's nothing you want? *snort* I don't know if there's anything that'll please you". Had to just grit my teeth and tell myself this argument wasn't worth going through, thankfully my money was refunded and I was out of there soon after.

Edit: Should have told him I need money for cocaine just to see his reaction.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Ducksworth: Wow that's nuts, he must have been having a bad day or is just an all around dick. Also about his "24 titles and theres nothing you want?" , quantity =/ quality. Not that I am saying the wii u has a weak launch, but the number of games launching means nothing.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

Because Monster Hunter and Bayonetta. 

The new Zelda and 3D Mario game should be great too. Also whatever Retro Studios is working on, I'm sure will turn out amazing. 

I hope that this generation I won't have to buy more consoles than one, but we'll see if there is a PS4 and what exclusives it'll have and/or if the WiiU will have the same bad situation the Wii had where shit just didn't get ported to it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

No intention of buying one at this time. None of the exclusives interest me and any multiplatform games will most assuredly be better on pretty much any other system, so there are no compelling reasons for me to buy one.

Furthermore, I still have a Wii that is collecting dust, I don't need another Nintendo console sitting next to it doing the same thing. I mean, maybe if I was really into Nintendo's properties like Mario or Zelda or maybe if I was 12 or had kids I'd be really interested in getting a WiiU. I know a lot of Nintendo fans don't want to hear it, but Nintendo's target demographic of "everyone" actually excludes the majority of people who will be reading this post on Giant Bomb. I'm chiefly a PC & 360 gamer and the types of games that interest me are a far cry from anything Nintendo is involved in.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ProfessorK

Just waiting for Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate so I probably won't be getting one till March '13. That and my Wii has stopped reading discs, crazy:/

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ben_H

PIKMIN 

I probably won't get one til that comes out. BUT BELIEVE ME PIKMIN WILL BE PLAYED

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@MB said:

No intention of buying one at this time. None of the exclusives interest me and any multiplatform games will most assuredly be better on pretty much any other system, so there are no compelling reasons for me to buy one.

Furthermore, I still have a Wii that is collecting dust, I don't need another Nintendo console sitting next to it doing the same thing. I mean, maybe if I was really into Nintendo's properties like Mario or Zelda or maybe if I was 12 or had kids I'd be really interested in getting a WiiU. I know a lot of Nintendo fans don't want to hear it, but Nintendo's target demographic of "everyone" actually excludes the majority of people who will be reading this post on Giant Bomb. I'm chiefly a PC & 360 gamer and the types of games that interest me are a far cry from anything Nintendo is involved in.

I couldn't have said it better. I have nothing against the Wii U's style of gaming and demographic, but the whole package does nothing to excite me.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Bribo

I would have picked "I. I do not plan on buying a Wii U soon" but my definition of "soon" is no longer than two weeks from now.

So I picked B. Say what you will about Nintendo, they've made more great games than any other developer.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McGhee

This question is making one very large assumption right off the bat.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ducksworth

@McGhee said:

Do you mean option J in the poll?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By The_Nubster

I'm waiting for the new Zelda game and reviews for it, whatever else Retro is working on, and maybe some neat 3rd party exclusives. There's not even a guarantee I'll buy it then, but as of now, nothing interests me a whole lot about it. Then again, I still have to stop by my local Best Buy and try their demo kiosk.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee

@Ducksworth said:

@McGhee said:

No, no I don't. No one ever told you to not step on the joke?

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bribo

@MB said:

maybe if I was 12 or had kids I'd be really interested in getting a WiiU. I know a lot of Nintendo fans don't want to hear it, but Nintendo's target demographic of "everyone" actually excludes the majority of people who will be reading this post on Giant Bomb.

I like to think that most duders just like good games and don't give a fuck about demographics and the "kiddie-game" shame that is prevalent on other forums.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Levio

Why buy a WU? To impress the ladies of course

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mike

@Bribo said:

@MB said:

maybe if I was 12 or had kids I'd be really interested in getting a WiiU. I know a lot of Nintendo fans don't want to hear it, but Nintendo's target demographic of "everyone" actually excludes the majority of people who will be reading this post on Giant Bomb.

I like to think that most duders just like good games and don't give a fuck about demographics and the "kiddie-game" shame that is prevalent on other forums.

I like "good games" ...but I'm also pretty sick of some Nintendo fans asserting that the reason I don't like most Nintendo properties is because as a "hardcore" gamer I'm not supposed to like Mario...like I'm either posturing or somehow doing something wrong because I'm not a Nintendo fan.

It's nonsense really. It just so happens that I stopped enjoying most Nintendo properties about 15 years ago, it has nothing to do with anyone else's opinions on the matter or what I "should" be playing. I think you will find that there are a lot more people like me on the forums than the Nintendo defense force would care to admit. Those games just aren't for me, in the same way that Black Shark may not be for most Mario Kart fans. It all comes down to a matter of preference and both viewpoints are valid, what's really unfortunate is those on both sides who see the other's preference as being invalid because they can't see the big picture through the veil of their own bias.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frankfartmouth

I'm not getting one right away, but that's almost entirely because of money. So I picked B. But I might have waited even if I had the money because the awesome 1st party exclusives haven't been rolled out yet.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JJOR64

A and B for me.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By billyhoush

I really want to support nintendo just because they were a big part of my childhood but I just can't justify it with that launch release. All the end of the cycle games coming out for current gen early next year have me foaming at the mouth so a Wii U would just collect dust after Christmas. I'll wait for a Zelda or Mario killer app game to come out and hopefully get a special edition pack-in edition of the console later next year.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@McGhee said:

@Ducksworth said:

@McGhee said:

I wanted to exclude the haters by just asking the actual buyers of the wii u why they're getting it. Then at the end I didn't want to leave anyone out, so I included the not buying it option, so yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense with the title after I thought about it.

JakeBalsagna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JakeBalsagna

I want one because I have money that I really want to give somebody who will hand me a box filled with something I don't already own.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ripelivejam

pretty confident i'll get one if i can get out of the rut of poverty i'm in right now. also there's probably some other luxuries that (if i can afford them) i'd put ahead of a wii u atm.

but i do actually like a lot of what i've seen so far and i remain enthusiastic for it!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By awesomeusername

At first I was like "Ew". Then I played Rayman Legends at Gamestop with my cousin and I was like "Oh!". Then I remembered I'm not a fan of Mario, Zelda, Metroid and such and I was like "Nah". Then I thought of getting it if they have some good games come for it that aren't coming to PS3 because I don't want my multiplats on it and I sad "Hm". So yeah. That's how I feel.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#33  Edited By Kidavenger

Going to pickup a vita on Sunday, if they have wii u in stock I'll grab one too; figure I'll get one eventually may as well get it out of the way now.

300 is cheap and I don't see that going down anytime soon so no reason to wait if it's available.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very desperately want something new. I'm sure I'll also the Nintendo-platform-specific games too, but just wanting to see something, anything new, is the bigger reason for me. I want this generation over pronto. 

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@JakeBalsagna said:

I want one because I have money that I really want to give somebody who will hand me a box filled with something I don't already own.

Novel concept, I like it.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Zombie_

I've got no plans to buy a Wii U. Got bored of the Wii a few months after getting it, doubt the Wii U would hold my interest much longer.

Avatar image for redcricketchase
    RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RedCricketChase

This is the first console I've ever bought at launch just to resell for a profit. I feel dirty, a bit. But the need for cash outweighs the moral stuff. I AM NOW A FULLY GREY ADULT. haha

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vextroid

B and G. 

I have my PC for everything else.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By yetiantics

Other:

"Cus I'm a fucking idiot."

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McGhee

@BestUsernameEver said:

@McGhee said:

@Ducksworth said:

@McGhee said:

I wanted to exclude the haters by just asking the actual buyers of the wii u why they're getting it. Then at the end I didn't want to leave anyone out, so I included the not buying it option, so yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense with the title after I thought about it.

Yeah, I figured. I was just being an ass. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want one but I couldn't get one at launch. I will definitely get it come December tho. I feel that the big N's new shiny system is gonna big real good in about a year. Some third party support and the exclusives are enough for me to buy one. ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hugh_jazz

I chose 'Itching for a new console', even though that's only partially the truth. I've never owned a console before, couldn't really decide between the current ones, not did I see a reason to absolutely get either. I always wanted the Wii, theoretically, but it seemed so janky in many ways. With the Wii U having some more robust online properties and performance capabilities comparable to the current consoles(which I think will be more than enough for a long while to come, truthfully) I decided to brave it.

The idea of a system that allows for good local co-op coupled with an adversary via the extra screen appeals to me, as it hearkens back to some board games I've played in my day(Hero Quest, for instance), and already with ZombiU we're getting what seems to be a pretty interesting versus mode(wish it had split-screen co-op as well so you could play three players, though).

All in all, can't wait for the end of the month. Also can't wait for the livestream and QLs tomorrow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.