Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Width vs. Depth: Nintendo's New Interest in Fans

• 143 results
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Hey girl, Iwata wants to introduce you to the width and deprh of his Wii U, ifyouknowwhatimean

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By JCGamer

The Wii U will be like every other Nintendo console since the Nintendo 64-some great first party games and a dearth of 3rd party games.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By linkster7

I'll feel kinda stupid sometimes for it, but my blind faith in Nintendo still holds. So I believe it.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By sirdesmond
    @GenghisJohn

After years of shit shovel-ware I am super skeptical of anything nintendo

Nintendo has never really put out any shovel ware I can think of. There is a lot on their system but there is a lot on anything popular (take a look at the iOS App Store).
    Senate4242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By Senate4242

I have been a huge Nintendo fan ever since opening my NES one Christmas morning as a child, all the way up through the Game Cube. They lost me with the Wii though with the lack of HD, the Wiimotes, subpar online service etc. Really was a shame.

I'm ready to give you another chance Nintendo. Just do something about that damn controller/tablet atrocity.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By selbie

I hope they ditch the Wii U name. I don't want to have to say "pass the Wii pad please".

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#107  Edited By SpudBug

I just hope they can find a space for themselves between this generation and the next. It has not traditionally been a good spot for a hardware manufacturer to find themselves in.

If Microsoft and Sony hold off until 2013 or 2014 for new hardware, i think they will do very well. If new hardware arrives and makes it near obsolete a year into its life, I think it'll be in big trouble without 3rd party development focus at its hardware level and with the casual market having been distracted by apple's shiny new thing and shitty 99 cent games.

Either way i'll be in and love the games nintendo makes for it. They have never disappointed me with a hardware platform. ( never bought virtual boy)

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By umdesch4

I dunno, I've had some fun times with the Wii. Sure, they were all first party titles, and sure they were more suited to kids, or groups of drunk adults, but what the heck. If I had to choose one console to own, the Wii would not have been it, but as a secondary console, it was worth owning, and I don't regret having one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By Hunter5024

So by "Terrific Console Games" you mean half a dozen downloadable 2d platformers... convincing argument Klepek.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Peanut

So the casual bubble bursts and they're going to rely on us for survival? Big surprise.

Here's my first hint they still kinda don't give a damn about us - it's called the Wii U. I wonder which audience they're trying to pull in with that awful shit?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#111  Edited By fox01313

After hearing the dog & pony metaphorical show enough from Nintendo, it's going to depend somewhat on the games that come out within a month of the launch of the new console from them but expecting this attention from Nintendo will last for about 6 months in press releases before it devolves to a mass of stupid peripherals & 3rd party junky games.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By GValo

@Peanut said:

So the casual bubble bursts and they're going to rely on us for survival? Big surprise.

Here's my first hint they still kinda don't give a damn about us - it's called the Wii U. I wonder which audience they're trying to pull in with that awful shit?

Don't forget that it also still uses the Wii controllers and last time they spoke about it, only one pad could be used per system

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Trilogy

I felt a great disturbance in the force...as if millions of nerds cried out, "I TOLD YOU SO!"...and were suddenly silenced.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#114  Edited By csl316

I like Nintendo games and want more. So sure, a more steady trickle of quality stuff would convince me to get this new thing. Though I hate gimmicks and just want solid core mechanics.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By Shaanyboi

@feargalr said:

@alanm26v5 said:

They'll eventually put out a Zelda game and I'll buy one like a sucker.

After playing Twilight Princess I swore a blood oath to not buy another zelda game until they really switch things up.

I've also been waiting about 14 years for a full console pokemon RPG a la blue/red/black/white etc. Dude seriously, a proper 3D pokemon game, like colosseum but you can catch wild pokemon and none of the shadow nonsense.... essentially a remake of red/blue (OR ANY OF THEM) for Wii U... it'd make a bagillion dollars...

The nature of asset development will guarantee that you will NEVER see a full 3D Pokemon adventure...

There's like what, 600 pokemon now? Plus these variants on trainers, etc. Having to model and animate ALL of that? Not going to happen.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#116  Edited By me3639

Zero.zero interest in anything Nintendo.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#117  Edited By Little_Socrates

Ah, Nyx Quest brings back great memories of NoobToob.

Anyways, happy to hear it, though we'll see if it holds true.

DesertDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By DesertDog

@Trilogy said:

I felt a great disturbance in the force...as if millions of nerds cried out, "I TOLD YOU SO!"...and were suddenly silenced.

You are my new favorite person. How about...

"The accumulated Nintendo filth of all their WiiFit and Brain Age will foam up about their waists and all the corporate suits and CEOs will look up and shout 'Save us!'... and I'll look down and whisper 'No.' "

DesertDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DesertDog

@selbie said:

I hope they ditch the Wii U name. I don't want to have to say "pass the Wii pad please".

It could be worse imagine if they partnered with Apple. it would be the iWiiU or if Apple bought both the OnLive service and Nintendo it would be called the iWiiOnU. Nevermind, actually that would be great...

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By awadnin

Pikmin 3 at launch. Sold.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By selbie

@DesertDog said:

@selbie said:

It could be worse imagine if they partnered with Apple. it would be the iWiiU or if Apple bought both the OnLive service and Nintendo it would be called the iWiiOnU. Nevermind, actually that would be great...

Kael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Kael

"Once consumers have a notion that ‘this system is not for us,’ we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," he says. Very true. Unfortunately for them, I've already gotten that notion, so they have an extremely difficult challenge ahead of them if they want me back on board; I hope their showing at E3 is amazing.

chazzi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123  Edited By chazzi27

Eh, I'm definitely someone who grew up on Nintendo but was spurned aside by the Wii. I own one...and the last time I booted it up was about a year ago to play Mario Kart 64 for a fun night of Don't Drink and Drive. I just can't see a reason to pick up a Wii U when I have a PS3 and an X360...maybe when there's finally a price break I'll pick it up to finally try out the first party games but it's been years since I cared when I heard the name Link and Samus in rumors of future games.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124  Edited By StingingVelvet

I just don't have time to play everything anyway and if there's one console whose exclusives are easier to pass on it's the Wii. I have Nintendo nostalgia like any other 30-something, but honestly their modern games are all just rehashes, no matter what reviews say.

So meh.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Dylabaloo

If they are really dedicated to turning a new leaf, prove it. Call it a different name than the "WiiU", severing the brand recognition ties for the average consumer and showing that this is actually a new console I should be interested in and not just a reactionary half-step.

fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By fjor

i love nintendo for games like : mario galaxy 1, 2 , donkey kong returns , paper mario , metroid...........but i dont think the hate for that awful 2008 e3 will ever go for me (they were not in their right minds)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By geirr

My best experiences this generation of consoles came from the Wii; playing idiotic games with friends (adding beer made it even better). I could even have fun with family and kids. Gaps were bridged!

I don't think WiiU will do any of this, but I'm hoping to be surprised.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Grillbar

@lokilaufey said:

@stalefishies said:

World of Goo...And Yet It Moves...Cave Story...they were on Wii first.

Uhh, no?

I want to think that he said that about CS because that was the first release of the Cave Story remake, and WoG was confusion because it was released the same day as PC... but there's really no excuse for And Yet It Moves.

It even says this on the GB Wiki

NameAnd Yet It Moves
    PlatformPC
    RegionUnited States
    Release DateApril 2, 2009

NameAnd Yet It Moves
    PlatformWii Shop
    RegionUnited States
    Release DateAug. 23, 2010

Now Patrick, do you mean they came to Wii as their first console/handheld/mobile release? I don't mean to nitpick or come off as rude (I love ya Pat) but I just can't help but chime in xD

no matter how much you want to you cant ague with this

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Shaanyboi: They already have 3D models for all the Pokemon, as is evidenced by the 3DS Pokedex app. Animating 3D models is also much easier than fully animated 600 2D sprites and then re-doing those for every subsequent game!

They'd just rather keep it as a handheld game, there's no other reason.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Shaanyboi

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Shaanyboi: They already have 3D models for all the Pokemon, as is evidenced by the 3DS Pokedex app. Animating 3D models is also much easier than fully animated 600 2D sprites and then re-doing those for every subsequent game!

They'd just rather keep it as a handheld game, there's no other reason.

Umm.... when have Pokemon games EVER featured full animation? Flash cartoons require more work than what it takes to make those Pokemon animations. They were, for a long time, literally just portraits that they shifted back and forth to signify they were attacking. Now, there's like... 2 poses to show them breathing, and a quick 'attack' pose. But this is hardly A Boy and His Blob....

They have those 3DS models doing like... one, at most two animations of them like growling or some crap. Not attacking, summoning a goddamn flood, or shooting lightning, or anything like that. And considering very few of these Pokemon can get away with reskinning animations onto another character, there's that much more custom work they'll have to do.

And yeah, of course they're going to keep it on a handheld.

1) They essentially get to double-down on a single game by selling multiple versions, and it's even more bulletproof of a strategy if you consider there'll be some siblings that'll both wanna play this, but will each want their own copy.

2) The inherent nature of the game is to go out and trade with people. Hence, portable.

3) It's WAY cheaper to make.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Shaanyboi: "Fully animated" may not have been the right term, but it's not like the sprites in Black and White are just squashed and stretched, like they were in some of the previous games, they're actually animated, and so they have to be redrawn for each frame. 3D models are very easy to animate once they're created and that's ignoring the fact they already have more animations in the Pokedex App than they ever did in the Stadium/Colosseum games.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the last two zelda games im finally done with my favourite franchise, theres no more reason to deal with Nintendo

offsprnvid24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By offsprnvid24

Everyone turns there back on Nintendo and to be honest you all should be ashamed of yourselves. The only reason we can even play games like we do is because Nintendo innovates and starts new gamming trends. Where would we be for without them to revolutionize the industry.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By EXTomar

Part of the problem seems to be that the development side hasn't caught up with modern trends either. To start working on an iOS or Android or PC game is quite low: A PC or Mac, the target hardware and "off the shelf software". As far as I know, starting to work on a DS title or Wii title is still somewhat restrictive where you need to contact Nintendo, vetted as a developer, and then buy/gain access to the development hardware. It is in this environment it is easy to see why Angry Birds and Tiny Towers and Minecraft started on those systems instead of any Nintendo ones.

Nintendo could completely revamp their online store strategy (and I'm not saying that this current 'new idea' is any good) and still wouldn't see a bunch of the small and indie games that catch on like wildfire because their developer system is still not cheap and readily available enough.

Alex_Carrillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Alex_Carrillo

All is forgiven if Nintendo would translate and drop Mother 3 on the god damn eShop.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By spacetrogg

What I'm concerned about is that Nintendo talks of a focus on core gaming in the early days of the Wii U and then broadening out to the casual audience. Does this mean that after the initial two or three years of decent games that we'll enter a drought where ninty is only interested in shilling the"Vitality Sensor 2.0" and the like?

Icaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Icaria

As I recall, they appealed to their base in both the N64 and GCN years too - to increasingly diminishing returns. If it hadn't been for their relative monopoly on handhelds during those years, it's hard to see Nintendo having survived.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By feargalr

@Shaanyboi said:

@feargalr said:

@alanm26v5 said:

After playing Twilight Princess I swore a blood oath to not buy another zelda game until they really switch things up.

I've also been waiting about 14 years for a full console pokemon RPG a la blue/red/black/white etc. Dude seriously, a proper 3D pokemon game, like colosseum but you can catch wild pokemon and none of the shadow nonsense.... essentially a remake of red/blue (OR ANY OF THEM) for Wii U... it'd make a bagillion dollars...

The nature of asset development will guarantee that you will NEVER see a full 3D Pokemon adventure...

There's like what, 600 pokemon now? Plus these variants on trainers, etc. Having to model and animate ALL of that? Not going to happen.

Why couldn't they do a game with just the original 150? Pokemon colosseum wasn't too far off a full pokemon adventure, surely with all of todays modern smartphones they could make it.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Shaanyboi

@feargalr said:

@Shaanyboi said:

@feargalr said:

@alanm26v5 said:

Why couldn't they do a game with just the original 150? Pokemon colosseum wasn't too far off a full pokemon adventure, surely with all of todays modern smartphones they could make it.

Because "just the original 150" isn't how they handle Pokemon anymore. Yeah, Pikachu is still their fucking poster-child, but they're always going to push their new Pokemon more and more.

Bladefire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Bladefire

I think I've come to the realization that I haven't really given a shit about Nintendo since the N64 outside of Mario games. I didn't like or had no interest in almost every single game Patrick listed (aside from Rhythm Heaven, World of Goo, and I thought Muramasa was quite good even though Patrick left it out). The Mario games have always been stellar (and I've always been able to just borrow a friend's console and grind those out in a few days) but I was tired of the Zelda formula years ago and haven't like a single modern Metroid game. At this point I'd rather just save my money and get both Sony and Microsoft's next things. I can't see how you recapture the "old fans" by putting out a under powered console whose most potentially interesting applications have already been crippled by only having one of the new controllers per console.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By feargalr

@Shaanyboi said:

@feargalr said:

@Shaanyboi said:

@feargalr said:

@alanm26v5 said:

Because "just the original 150" isn't how they handle Pokemon anymore. Yeah, Pikachu is still their fucking poster-child, but they're always going to push their new Pokemon more and more.

Then they can stick in the newer pokemon from black and white, whatever I don't care, I just want it to happen. People made skyrim happen, people made mass effect happen, people made WoW happen. People can make a full 3D Pokemon adventure happen. BTW there really isn't much point arguing with me about this, I made up my mind a few years back that I wanted this more then a fat guy wants sex... but just like the fat guy, it would appear I'm doomed to never get it :/

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#142  Edited By viking_funeral

You know what would bring back us gamers raised on Nintendo? Games. Some damn good games. Talk about hardware and market focus and all that, but they're going to have to pull a N64 with some legendary exclusive games for me to even consider getting a Wii U.

Also, a name change.

SnowyPliskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By SnowyPliskin

Nintendo need to realise they have too distinct hardcore bases.

Kids who love Mario etc and people who used to love Mario etc but would like something a bit different.

It cant always be a rehashing of the same characters, I say nuke them all.

All Im asking for really is a new Eternal Darkness and a controller to play it with. Dont give me a fucking interactive chopping board to use. Another useless peripheral which detracts from what I thought Nintendo were all about, the gameplay?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#144  Edited By monkeyking1969

What Nintendo needs to learn is how to embrace, encourage, and foster support from 3rd party developers. Not pay lip service, not start out with some support and walk away, but actually go out there to the other publishers and get titles over a five or six year cycle of hardware. Also, just as Sony and Microsoft will have to have similar hardware Nintendo NEEDS to do the same thing...the controller they can keep their own... but CPU, GPU, RAM speed, and storage all need to be in-line with 'the' standard. They need to get day & date ports that measure up. First party titles are great, but if you cannot provide the balance of other titles - who cares.

Avatar image for monolithic_erection
    MONOLITHIC_ERECTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zero_Dude said:
    Youve pretty much sold me on the controller, nintendo, now i just need games, support for a marketplace like the 3ds apparently has, and a way to talk with friends like xbox has, and youve got a day 1 sale.
    Nintendo will never have support for a headset chat function, which has become notorious for being a feature filled with stupid children shouting profanities and epithets for the sake of being edgy. It would be neat and maybe fun or funny, but Nintendo is too  worried about its appearance, and being sued.

I think the WiiU will be interesting, at least.
    Enigma_2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Enigma_2099

It's finally a HD console, with more under the hood. Maybe now developers won't be so d***** scared to put better games on it. Instead of the hand-me-down shovelware they seem content with throwing on the console, they could act like they give a d*** and do the most with what they have. Since we all know HD makes all games better. [/sarcasm]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.