Wii to Wii U: What happens to untransferred data?

#1 Edited by Pierre42 (119 posts) -

Howdy,

Let me explain the situation. I have a fair few Nintendo Shop channel games left on my old Wii that I'd quite like to transfer over. However, seems pretty clear that after the transfer the Wii is left empty and blank.

Now my little brother plays Super Smash Brothers Brawl a LOT and unfortunately so far as I've tried I can't transfer it to an SD card or save it in anyway. It doesn't really matter to me if I have to unlock all the things again but he might be quite upset if he came back one day and found everything wiped.

Is there anyway to do the transfer and save that data? It seems an unfortunate situation I can't transfer my owned games because of the cost to the other data since if I can't copy it anywhere else it would be lost.

#2 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@pierre42 said:

Howdy,

Let me explain the situation. I have a fair few Nintendo Shop channel games left on my old Wii that I'd quite like to transfer over. However, seems pretty clear that after the transfer the Wii is left empty and blank.

Now my little brother plays Super Smash Brothers Brawl a LOT and unfortunately so far as I've tried I can't transfer it to an SD card or save it in anyway. It doesn't really matter to me if I have to unlock all the things again but he might be quite upset if he came back one day and found everything wiped.

Is there anyway to do the transfer and save that data? It seems an unfortunate situation I can't transfer my owned games because of the cost to the other data since if I can't copy it anywhere else it would be lost.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl save data is transferable using the Wii to Wii U transfer tool. However, it's a one-time transfer, so if any data is saved to the Wii after the transfer takes place, it cannot be moved in a second transfer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.