Wii U $579 - sucks to be a New Zealander!

#1 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

I just read that the New Zealand price for the Wii U is $579 for the Premium pack ($479 for the Basic) - WOW! That is $150 more than the Australian price. How do all the awesome New Zealanders feel about this?

Look at the upside, you live in New Zealand, God's own country indeed. Fresh air and beautiful scenery, snow capped mountain and steams full of big trout. That makes up for it right? If not, move to Australia - thousands of you do every year!

#2 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -

Might have to help out my New Zealand friends if they want one...

#3 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

@psylah said:

That's the neighbourly spirit!

#4 Posted by bartok (2469 posts) -

@psylah said:

Least we can do since they gave us Flight of the Conchords.

#5 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Ouch... Not much more to say until NZ and Oz both make changes to their importation taxes.

#6 Posted by allworkandlowpay (874 posts) -

Adjusted for different currency value, that would equate to $698 in the US. O.o

#7 Edited by kpaadet (410 posts) -

If you think those prices are rough, you probably shouldnt move to Scandinavia. In Denmark the Wii U premium model costs around $640, though I'm guessing a kinda weak dollar/strong danish krone makes most prices here seem high. The PS3 launched here at $1100.

#8 Posted by Bollard (5435 posts) -

@allworkandlowpay said:

Adjusted for different currency value, that would equate to $698 in the US. O.o

No it's 480 USD.

#9 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

If you think those prices are rough, you probably shouldnt move to Scandinavia. In Denmark the Wii U premium model costs around $640, though I'm guessing a kinda weak dollar/strong danish krone makes most prices here seem high. The PS3 launched here at $1100.

The PS3 launched at $1000 in Australia and $1200 in New Zealand.

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Ouch... Not much more to say until NZ and Oz both make changes to their importation taxes.

It isn't the taxes at all. Apart from a GST of 10%, it is entirely shipping and distribution costs, plus a very healthy profit margin (plus manufacture of a specific version for our electricity system). It would be pretty much the same for New Zealand. The Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar. If not for that it would be a lot higher than it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.