Wii U and Tested.com

#1 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I was visiting Tested and found some very good information on the new Nintendo console called the Wii U.

First, I watched this video of Will and Norm at E3 which really did a great job of showing off the new controller for the Wii U.

http://www.tested.com/e3-2011-hands-on-nintendo-wii-u/47-415/

I then listened to some of Tested's podcast. This is Only a Test. I was more interested in the discussion about the Wii U. If you skip ahead to 2:20, you'll find this discussion. They go on to talk about the new handheld from Sony called the Vita if you're interested in that.

I really trust Will and Norm when it comes to tech stuff and what they had to say about the Wii U was very telling. They did enjoy the controller and see much potential in it, but Norm mentioned that when talking to some of the devs, it seemed the Wii U will either be on par with or maybe a little less powerful than the Xbox 360. Will goes on to say that the Wii U will be using 5 year old tech when it's released.

Of course, this could change as Will and Norm were speculating on what they saw and what was said to them. This is the first time I've heard anyone really talk about the Wii U console in some detail. I had read reports that it will be much more powerful than the Xbox 360 and the PS3, but it seems that this is not true. What does it all mean? I don't know, nothing for me as I like Nintendo products and will probably buy it next year the day it's released. As for people that already have an Xbox 360 and or a PS3, this could become a deal breaker unless they want to play Nintendo first party software. Either way, I found the discussion very informative.

I thought everyone might be interested in hearing some tech guys talk about the Wii U console and its new controller. I wasn't sure how many people on Giant Bomb visit Tested.

#2 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Claude: "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."

Don't let Nintendo pull you back in Claude. Don't go there. You're free now, Claude. You're a free man. Leave it alone man, just leave it....

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@FourWude said:

Don't let Nintendo pull you back in Claude. Don't go there. You're free now, Claude. You're a free man. Leave it alone man, just leave it....

Shoot no. I want to play with that new controller on the Wii U. Plus, when Skyward Sword is released, I'm getting that golden Wii Remote. I broke up with my Wii, but a booty call from time to time never hurt anyone.

#4 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -
@Claude said:

@FourWude said:

Shoot no. I want to play with that new controller on the Wii U. Plus, when Skyward Sword is released, I'm getting that golden Wii Remote. I broke up with my Wii, but a booty call from time to time never hurt anyone.

The new Wii U controller is a gimmick Claude. We've been through this. Booty calls only hurt yourself, especially concerning Nintendo. They barely put out one decent game every six months. 

And when you buy the Golden Wii remote, it'll be like a golden ring, a sign of commitment.

Take my advice, old timer, break it off once and for all. They'll just break your heart once again if you let them....

#5 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

It's OK, Claude. We'll play Chase Mii together.

#6 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Vito_Raliffe said:

It's OK, Claude. We'll play Chase Mii together.

Chase Mii did look cool. Catch me if you can!

#7 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

@FourWude said:

@Claude said:

@FourWude said:

The new Wii U controller is a gimmick Claude. We've been through this. Booty calls only hurt yourself, especially concerning Nintendo. They barely put out one decent game every six months.

And when you buy the Golden Wii remote, it'll be like a golden ring, a sign of commitment.

Take my advice, old timer, break it off once and for all. They'll just break your heart once again if you let them....

It's a much better gimmick though. It doesn't force every single developer to try and figure out how to implement a goofy control style. Sony and Microsoft aren't exactly releasing their own fantastic games every month. Both the 360 and PS3 are driven by 3rd part games and all multiplatform games will now be coming to the Wii U. I was hoping it was going to be more powerful then the 360 and PS3 but if it's only comparable and using 5 year old tech at least it will be affordable. I still think it will be the best console to have for at least 2 years after it's released.

#8 Posted by The_Grindilow (431 posts) -

I'd watch Will and Norm give birth together if I could.

Wait.... I'm not the only one am I

#9 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

I'm a new convert to This is Only a Test. It's actually a pretty good podcast, even if half of the products they discuss are beyond me or irrelevant to me.

#10 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Wrighteous86 said:

I'm a new convert to This is Only a Test. It's actually a pretty good podcast, even if half of the products they discuss are beyond me or irrelevant to me.

Yup, I just started listening to the other Whiskey podcasts as well; and they're great! ComicVine is a bit hit or miss, but Behind The Screened Door and This Is Only A Test are pretty consistently good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.