Wii U can only use 1 tablet controller at a time.

• 140 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (3049 posts) -
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-nintendo-s-new-console-is-the-wii-u-updated--203141.phtml

The Wii U can output up to 1080p video via HDMI, and it can handle one tablet controller plus as many as four Wii Remotes or Wii Remote Plus wands. (In fact, the Wii U is backward compatible with all Wii games and accessories.)]

It also is singletouch, SD-screen, and can only be used in the same room as the console. Sounds a bit disappointing for the main feature. :|
#2 Posted by TepidShark (1063 posts) -

Too bad, something like Madden being able to call your offense plays one screen & defensive plays on a different screen could have been cool.

#3 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

What the fuck? 

Lame, Nintendo. Lame.

#4 Posted by Zithe (1040 posts) -

Wow. There goes the potential for split screen gaming on multiple controllers.

#5 Posted by Mikemcn (7028 posts) -

Thats really lame.

#6 Posted by Soap (3646 posts) -

This thing is already dead in the water.

Sony will probably just let you use the PSV with your PS3 to do basically the same thing.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Oh. It seems I won't be buying it then.

#8 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

It's magical.

#9 Posted by ShaggE (6727 posts) -

The Wii U is truly the gift that keeps on giving...

#10 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Not, uh, not good.

#11 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Make it optional, ship the console with a traditional controller (READ: NOT THE CLASSIC CONTROLLER, A NEW, REDESIGNED CONTROLLER), or Wii mote/nun chuck combo, and I'll be happy. I don't want to use the fuckin' thing anyway, because it seems like a totally useless, and at times negative feature.

#12 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

...You're kidding me right? this has to be a joke.

#13 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

I don't care, since I really don't know anyone that (presumably) has enough money to buy more than one of those controllers anyway.  My 360 can only support one Kinect at a time.  That doesn't mean that I'm gonna go selling my 360 any time soon.

#14 Posted by PenguinDust (12642 posts) -

Well, there goes many of the imagined possibilities for local multiplayer on the system.

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I think that only pertains to streaming the entire game. Im sure, nay positive, that when it comes to shit on the tablet in conjunction with the game (Madden plays, Pokemon HUD elements, etc) it'll probably work with 2 tablet controllers. 

#16 Posted by Grilledcheez (3960 posts) -

If the thing has decent online play (no friend codes) then it won't matter too much.

#17 Posted by Binman88 (3692 posts) -

So when Ken Levine said how awesome it would be to play hardcore games while he's in bed, he neglected to mention that his Wii must be both powered on and in the same room?

#18 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

This is a joke right?

#19 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
Oh. It seems I won't be buying it then.
This.  Very disappointing Nintendo.
#20 Edited by Kjellm87 (1722 posts) -

I like to see the box and controller as a two part console, since the box is what running the games you can't go too far away with it. 
If multiplayer games would require four of these tablets it would be expensive and people would complain.

#21 Posted by spiltmilk04 (7 posts) -

It makes sense. Notice only one controller was ever used in the presentation videos and demos.

Disappointing.

#22 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

If it really only supports one controller at a time, thats a real disappointment.  
@ryanwho said:

I think that only pertains to streaming the entire game. Im sure, nay positive, that when it comes to shit on the tablet in conjunction with the game (Madden plays, Pokemon HUD elements, etc) it'll probably work with 2 tablet controllers. 
I'm sure this will probably be the case. The full-game streaming is probably one at a time, but I'd be shocked if they really limited it to one for those games that only use it for menus and the like. 
#23 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
That would make sense. 

Really poor wording on Destructoid's part if that's the case.
#24 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

@GrilledCheez01 said:

If the thing has decent online play (no friend codes) then it won't matter too much.

We all know that's not going to happen tho.

#25 Edited by MattyFTM (14434 posts) -

Unpopular opinion time: That's great. I won't ever have to buy a second tablet controller for it. Those things would cost a fortune. Basic controllers are far too pricey, one with a 6 inch touch screen would be ludicrous.

I can see the downsides to it, but I think it's smart marketing from Nintendo. They're thinking "If we stick one of those in a box on it's own and sell it, it's going to expenisve and people are going to be pissed if someone develops a game that requires 4 of them and they have to spend a small fortune to play the game with their friends". So they only have one. No one can develop games that use more than one. Simple.

#26 Posted by AndrewB (7691 posts) -

1 tablet whatever... the big news would be if it is indeed not multitouch capable (and possibly still a resistive screen).  Nintendo always throws in one crazy new technology while foregoing every single standard tech we've come to take for granted at the same time.

#27 Posted by onarum (2306 posts) -

Yep, that makes it way less interesting.

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

How often to "core" gamers even play locally? And now its a dealbreaker? Give me a break guys. You complain that the tablet controller exists even though normal controllers are also an option, then you complain that only one can be used at a time. So you had no interest in the tech, but now the tech you're not interested in doesn't work for local multi so you're mad? Cmon. Multiple tablets locally is a novel thing that will work really well for a verrrrry small handful of games. The games that would even use it, I can name on one hand. I can't imagine such a small element being a dealbreaker, if it turns out you really can only use one tablet.

#29 Posted by Anjon (124 posts) -

@phish09 said:

I don't care, since I really don't know anyone that (presumably) has enough money to buy more than one of those controllers anyway. My 360 can only support one Kinect at a time. That doesn't mean that I'm gonna go selling my 360 any time soon.

I'm assuming if the WiiU only supports one WiiU controller, they won't bother to sell them separately. All units will come with a controller already packed in and that'll be the end of that. They'll probably have a repair/replacement plan in place for damaged controllers.

#30 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Anjon said:

@phish09 said:

I don't care, since I really don't know anyone that (presumably) has enough money to buy more than one of those controllers anyway. My 360 can only support one Kinect at a time. That doesn't mean that I'm gonna go selling my 360 any time soon.

I'm assuming if the WiiU only supports one WiiU controller, they won't bother to sell them separately. All units will come with a controller already packed in and that'll be the end of that. They'll probably have a repair/replacement plan in place for damaged controllers.

Seems unlikely because I imagine these controllers chew through battery life. A lot of people might have 2 just so 1 is always charged.
#31 Posted by Super_Yosh_64 (126 posts) -

wtf

#32 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Hopefully it can handle multiple "pad-trollers" at a lower rate or resolution.  Most of the potential I see for the system involves party games with hiding movies from other people. 
#33 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I can finally play a digital version of Battleship locally.

#34 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I demand clarification on this immediately.

#35 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

That...is really disappointing to hear. The whole press conference and announcement was really kind of underwhelming, and this kind of news is certainly not making me excited. Isn't local multiplayer what the Nintendo consoles always excelled at? And now they'll relegate the other players to Wiimotes and Nunchucks (or classic controllers.)

#36 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
So when Ken Levine said how awesome it would be to play hardcore games while he's in bed, he neglected to mention that his Wii must be both powered on and in the same room?
Well I assumed that when he said it.
#37 Posted by JJOR64 (19071 posts) -

Really?  That fucking blows.

#38 Posted by AlisterCat (5736 posts) -

Considering something like Halo 3 isn't HD, it's OK that a controller doesn't have a HD screen. Again, it's a controller.

#39 Posted by Binman88 (3692 posts) -
@MideonNViscera: Not sure they'll be advertising the "take it to bed with you" aspect then, seeing as most of their ads center around their console being used in a living room space.
#40 Posted by Marcsman (3296 posts) -

I'm speechless.
#41 Posted by TwoLines (2843 posts) -

Single touch, eh?  Is this about the prototype? Do they intend to change it?

#42 Posted by Orange (206 posts) -

Nintendo just flushed the gaming world's toilet.

#43 Posted by Brodehouse (10140 posts) -

This reminds me of when Natal was announced and immediately people posted stuff like "DOESN'T WORK WHEN SITTING".

The hardware isn't even close to being set. Making these speculations is dumb.

#44 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:

This reminds me of when Natal was announced and immediately people posted stuff like "DOESN'T WORK WHEN SITTING".

The thing is, Kinect didn't work while sitting down when it was released. So this isn't really the same situation. 

I don't really care about this if it turns out to be true, but I doubt that you'll only be able to use one screen controller at a time per console.
#45 Posted by ajamafalous (12167 posts) -

Man, Nintendo. What the hell are you doing?

#46 Posted by blueduck (964 posts) -

Who are they making this thing for?

#47 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
@MideonNViscera: Not sure they'll be advertising the "take it to bed with you" aspect then, seeing as most of their ads center around their console being used in a living room space.
Keep in mind, it could depend on the layout of your house. Where I live my bed is only 30 feet or so from where my Wii U would be sitting, though through 2 walls or around a corner and through a door. I could probably take mine to bed.
#48 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:

Considering something like Halo 3 isn't HD, it's OK that a controller doesn't have a HD screen. Again, it's a controller.

Listen, these angry babies woke up this morning determined to be pissy about Nintendo and your "logic" won't get in the way of that, okay.
#49 Posted by Zithe (1040 posts) -

@ryanwho said:

Listen, these angry babies woke up this morning determined to be pissy about Nintendo and your "logic" won't get in the way of that, okay.

Yeah, how dare people show concern over something that could hamper an otherwise really neat idea. They are obviously just Nintendo haters and should be written off as such.

#50 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -
@ryanwho: I play locally more than I do online.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.