Wii U First Party Games Now Display In 1080p?

#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Update:

Nintendo have removed the text, it now reads:

Experience Mario like never before... in high definition, only on the Wii U console!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-12-nintendo-removes-mario-wii-u-1080p-claim

1080p is still perfectly feasible. Mario in 1080p will be a landmark in gaming, regardless of what some of you may think. Nintendo may well wish to announce such news in a more fitting manner.

OP:

It would seem Nintendo have been hard at work since E3. Do you remember how their representatives said all first party titles would run at 720p only, well now it seems that's not the case, starting with New Super Mario Bros U. According to Nintendo's newly opened official site for the game:

Experience Mario like never before… in full 1080p HD, only on the Wii U console!

I hope this is true and not merely a mistake. I also hope Pikmin 3 follows suit. I know the game looks gorgeous already, but it's still something I think most fans would want, if it can be pushed in such a game (originally designed for Wii).

#2 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Well if its just like the 360's fake upscaled 1080 for most games then whats the point. Will be interesting to know if it's true 1080p.

#3 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

I could see at the very least New Super Mario Bros. U being true 1080p, It's not like Peach is in the game so the WiiU doesn't have to worry about processing the physics for her dress. Actually now that I think about it Nintendo for the most part does pretty well in terms of graphics in relation to their hardware, if you told me that the majority of their games would be a minimum of 720p native I wouldn't be overly surprised.

#4 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -
#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

I doubt that's gonna be native, but we'll see.

#6 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

Sounds plausible. My old computer from 10 years ago was also able to play games in 1080p.

#7 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

Well if its just like the 360's fake upscaled 1080 for most games then whats the point. Will be interesting to know if it's true 1080p.

There will be no fakery here, Wii U can push 1080p with ease according to most developers who have spoken about such things.

Well then thats cool I guess. Still wont make me want to buy it though, I've reached the point where I'm simply over Nintendo games.

#8 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

@devilzrule27 said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

There will be no fakery here, Wii U can push 1080p with ease according to most developers who have spoken about such things.

Well then thats cool I guess. Still wont make me want to buy it though, I've reached the point where I'm simply over Nintendo games.

I'd buy Nintendo games on other consoles, but I won't buy a console to play Nintendo games.

#9 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

I thought this was already established. But cool.

#10 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@devilzrule27 said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I'd buy Nintendo games on other consoles, but I won't buy a console to play Nintendo games.

hmm, I guess I'd be more inclined to play them if that were the case too. Can't imagine a scenario where that happens anytime in the next decade plus.

#11 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@isomeri: from 2002? Yeah, must get some really great performance there. What, like a Pentium 4 with a 50GB harddrive? Your computer "from 10 years ago" will not run graphics anywhere near a Wii U. Stop talking nonsense.

#12 Edited by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

This is great news for me, can't wait to play some more Nintendo games in HD. Nintendo games are the only reason I still bother with consoles, I play most of my stuff on my PC.

#13 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

@isomeri: from 2002? Yeah, must get some really great performance there. What, like a Pentium 4 with a 50GB harddrive? Your computer "from 10 years ago" will not run graphics anywhere near a Wii U. Stop talking nonsense.

I have to make a correction. I went and checked. That computer was built in 2003, so it's only 9 years old. My point was, that running games in 1080p should not be considered as an achievement from a console being released in 2012. I do understand that the graphics on the Wii U will look a lot better than those from a decade ago.

#14 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@isomeri: I betcha NXB and NPS will brag about native 1080p in their next consoles, too. (rather than upscaled 480/720)

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I don't see the point of looking at this in 1080p.

#16 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

@isomeri: I betcha NXB and NPS will brag about native 1080p in their next consoles, too. (rather than upscaled 480/720)

I'd be disappointed if they did, because both have bragged in the past how their consoles offer "a full-HD experience". Then again, I find myself being disappointed rather often.

#17 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@isomeri: PS3 can claim that for movies at least, but really they were only telling a technical truth.

#18 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

Website just states "High Definition" now, that's not comforting.

#19 Posted by Mcfart (1728 posts) -

@MAGZine said:

Yeah, they were lying, but it was obvious that it wasn't 1080 anyway. The consoles came out before 1080 became the standard, so I'm at least happy that it could be upscared to look a little better.

I expect 1080 native with 4000p upscale.

#20 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@Mcfart: I doubt you'll see support for 4k upscaling... TVs aren't there yet. And 1080p was standard. The PS3 did come with a Blu-ray player, specifically for playing HD movies, did it not?

#21 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Vonocourt: Thanks. I expect an official announcement in the coming weeks if it does support 1080p, if not, alas. It just would have been nice to have the console firing on all cylinders with Nintendo software also.

#22 Posted by Mcfart (1728 posts) -

It will suck when Nintendo releases Wii games at $40 with "new 1080P" when the Wii versions already had HD support (verified by youtube videos showing it in emulation).

#23 Edited by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

@Mcfart: By that definition N64 games had 1080p support because emulators could output it at that resolution.

#24 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Well, that claim didn't last long (at least for Mario).

The developer yesterday boasted on its website that players would "experience Mario like never before... in full 1080p HD".
But, overnight, this sentence has been altered to promise the game "in high definition".
#25 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

@Ducksworth said:

It's not like Peach is in the game so the WiiU doesn't have to worry about processing the physics for her dress.

Now they have to worry about the physics behind Luigi flailing his legs for those long, floaty jumps.

#26 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@Cincaid:

Thanks, I will link to that article in the OP.

It could well be for one the reasons EG lay out. There's another Nintendo Direct due before launch, Nintendo may choose to reveal such info then, because that's how they like to do things. I'm personally expecting it will be forthcoming it really isn't hard to do, everyone else is doing it with their games. It may seem like a minor thing to some, but Mario in 1080p is a landmark in gaming and something that Nintendo will want to announce in better fashion.

#27 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

edit: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/09/wii-u-can-do-1080p-without-breaking-a-sweat/

I don't like digging up old threads, but this seems super relevant with Wii-U launch stuff still going on. These claims of Wii-U being native 1080p and such... have they been debunked now? I haven't seen anything official, but the gist of it seems to be that the current crop of Wii-U ports are actually performing worse than their 360/PS3 counterparts? Obviously, they're launch games and some rockiness is to be expected (hello PS3 multiformat shitness for the first couple of years!) but, none of these games are native 1080p, right?

#28 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@bibamatt said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

edit: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/09/wii-u-can-do-1080p-without-breaking-a-sweat/

I don't like digging up old threads, but this seems super relevant with Wii-U launch stuff still going on. These claims of Wii-U being native 1080p and such... have they been debunked now? I haven't seen anything official, but the gist of it seems to be that the current crop of Wii-U ports are actually performing worse than their 360/PS3 counterparts? Obviously, they're launch games and some rockiness is to be expected (hello PS3 multiformat shitness for the first couple of years!) but, none of these games are native 1080p, right?

I don't think any of them are, no. But like you say, it's still very early on. I would wait for some heavy hitters like the 3D Mario, Zelda or Retro Studio's game before really laying down judgement on the console. But at the moment yeah, it's painting a pretty ugly picture, both figuratively and literally.
#29 Posted by bibamatt (1090 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

@bibamatt said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@devilzrule27 said:

I don't think any of them are, no. But like you say, it's still very early on. I would wait for some heavy hitters like the 3D Mario, Zelda or Retro Studio's game before really laying down judgement on the console. But at the moment yeah, it's painting a pretty ugly picture, both figuratively and literally.

Yeah, definitely not laying down judgement yet! Just that the claims of Wii-U "pushing 1080p without breaking a sweat" seem a bit much currently. It certainly is breaking a sweat in a lot of it's launch titles from what I've heard. Assassin's Creed 3 has had lighting and particle effects taken out of it for example. Again, a time/experience constraint more than anything, but still... Breaking a sweat. I read something on a thread here a few days before the launch where someone was saying how the Wii-U reps at their shopping centre demo thing told him that Darksiders 2 was 1080p. Indeed, the chap I quoted here said "there will be no fakery here". Just wondered if those claims were backed up/debunked yet. Looks like, at launch at least, those claims aren't true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.