Wii U GamePad Ranges

#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

These rumoured GamePad ranges below suggest Nintendo care little about what they've said earlier, about the Wii U being designed to be played in the same room as the console itself. That now appears only to be the company line, which is somewhat understandable with them being a "family company". These ranges below suggest they're aware many users will want to play anywhere within the home, or even out in the garden:

- Power consumption modes for the WiiU GamePad

- these adjust the power of the antennas

Class 1: Maximum Range - up to 100 meters (300ft)

Class 2: Medium Range - up to 50 meters (150ft)

Class 3: Minimum Range - up to 10 meters (30ft)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41449690&postcount=19813

#2 Posted by Dixavd (1381 posts) -

And then we have people (such as this one by Gameradar) which were allowed hands-on with the console at Gamescom and had lag issues there (when they are undoubtedly sitting not very far from the screen). With the WiiU having none of the information occuring in the tablet and instead having to go to the main console and back again to the handheld everytime, imagine the lag when it is occuring nearly 100 metres away.

Until Nintendo outright says it can do anything like that then I am inclined to put this into the realms of bullshit (but maybe possible down the line so they are patenting it now just in case).

#3 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

And then we have people (such as this one by Gameradar) which were allowed hands-on with the console at Gamescom and had lag issues there (when they are undoubtedly sitting not very far from the screen). With the WiiU having none of the information occuring in the tablet and instead having to go to the main console and back again to the handheld everytime, imagine the lag when it is occuring nearly 100 metres away.

Until Nintendo outright says it can do anything like that then I am inclined to put this into the realms of bullshit (but maybe possible down the line so they are patenting it now just in case).

That story has already been trounced by a long list of others, they were seeing technical issues arising from running preview code on inadequate firmware. It was a firmware issue.

DigitalFoundry

#4 Posted by Dixavd (1381 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I am still not convinced it could do anywhere near 100 metres though (and I expected the general lag to be something they easily fixed by release day, but there is still no good evidence to support that Nintendo is going to bother going further than simply within-the-same-room with the Wii U yet).

I am just saying that this report is way ahead of itself (just like the article I gave about them saying it didn't seem close enough to completion was getting ahead of itself).

I wish people would just wait.

#5 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@Dixavd said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I am still not convinced it could do anywhere near 100 metres though (and I expected the general lag to be something they easily fixed by release day, but there is still no good evidence to support that Nintendo is going to bother going further than simply within-the-same-room with the Wii U yet).

I am just saying that this report is way ahead of itself (just like the article I gave about them saying it didn't seem close enough to completion was getting ahead of itself).

I wish people would just wait.

Bare in mind the response time seen above in the video may adjust with each different class, and that we could also see third-party booster antennas, that improve signal strength for those who live in houses with thick walls. As long as I can play outside in the garden, I'm cool. Looking at Class 2, I should be fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.