Wii U has higher graphics specifications than XBOX 360 & PS3

#1 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

Apparently Crytek have got the CryENGINE working on the Wii U and the graphics hardware is technically more poweful than the XBOX 360 & PS3.

#2 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

that's great

#3 Posted by Marokai (2961 posts) -

The question seems to just be "by how much?" at this point. I think we all understand it will run the current level of games better than it's past-generation counterparts in the 360 and Ps3, but will it actually be a noticeable increase in tech seems to be the issue.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

And in six years when developers have learned how to squeeze every drop of potential out of this new system, I'm sure the games will look noticeably better than 360/PS3 games too.

#5 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

Well it should considering it's 6-7 years more recent...

#6 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

Wow, Wii U can compete with 5 year old tech? Good for Nintendo!

#7 Posted by Spoonman671 (4633 posts) -

Is this a thread?

#8 Posted by Retro_Clone (49 posts) -

wow people are assholes, lol anywho im glad 

becuase i was going to buy this anyways for zelda and mario. i really dont give a shit about third party support, although it's nice to have it. as long as i get my core nintendo titles i will be happy(Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart........) and graphics really dont fucking matter to me. whats with everybody becoming Graphic Whores all of a sudden since the last gen.

#9 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

Wii U graphics hardware:

- Custom core also supports Direct X 10.1

- GPU is similar to AMD R770

- Eyefinity up to 4 streams of video

#10 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

@CagePlay: Can we get a source on this?

#11 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

Engadget

#12 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@Gamer_152 Yes, Engadget & Joystiq
#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:

I was pretty much thinking this, only worded differently.
#14 Posted by Surkov (992 posts) -

I've heard it's similar to a Radeon 4890, which is still more powerful than either of the consoles. But then again it should be given that both of the consoles(ps3 and 360) are 5 years old. 

#15 Posted by Bucketdeth (8010 posts) -

I'd hope it has better hardware than 6 and 5 year old competition.

#16 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@CagePlay said:

Apparently Crytek have got the CryENGINE working on the Wii U and the graphics hardware is technically more poweful than the XBOX 360 & PS3.

Well is not like the 360 and the PS3 are a TECHNICAL POWERHOUSES after almost 6 years you know...

#17 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

It can only be a positive thing to find out the Wii U has more powerful graphics hardware than previously expected. Good for all developers, more to play with.

#18 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@DonPixel For the moment, yes they still are actually.
#19 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

@Retro_Clone: So you are a big fan of Nintendo cloning it's retro games?

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@CagePlay: No offence then But I hardly doubt you are familiarized with the world of computer graphics.

#21 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Hereis the link to Engadget's news article on the hardware. It's by no means surprising that the Wii U outstrips the last gen consoles considering how long they've been hanging around but good for them I guess.

#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CagePlay said:
Been said its only 50% more powerfull. Nothing amazingly better. 
#23 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@DonPixel Apart from PCs, tell me what other console is currently superior to PS3 & XBOX 360 that is on the market. That's the point I'm making. Eg. Battlefield 3 will be on current gen consoles, using their ageing hardware.
#24 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@CagePlay: Right, but PC graphics are a significant group to the point that they can challenge the "powerhouse" status of the PS3 and the 360. Hell if we talk about the four examples we've discussed (360, Wii U PS3 and PC) and one of them is clearly looking better then it seems like we ought to call it the powerhouse. Not the bottom two.

#25 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@beej Agreed, but I didn't mention the word 'Powerhouse'. I was purely focusing on the Wii U now having higher graphics than 360 & PS3.
#26 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

To clarify, like it or not this is the order of graphics power in consoles & PCs, ranking as of today:

1. PC
2. Wii U
3. PS3
4. XBOX 360

#27 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3726 posts) -

Not to be rude, but I've heard a lot of mixed things about the power of this system.  Beginning a topic with the word "apparently", and then offering no source of information otherwise presented as fact was perhaps not the best way to handle this situation.

#28 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac SOURCE: JOYSTIQ & ENGADGET
#29 Edited by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@CagePlay said:

@SpaceInsomniac SOURCE: JOYSTIQ & ENGADGET

Maybe you should update your OP if you don't want to keep posting this. Also:

@CagePlay said:

To clarify, like it or not this is the order of graphics power in consoles & PCs, ranking as of today: 1. PC 2. Wii U 3. PS3 4. XBOX 360

Like it or not, you also have no idea what you're talking about. Because none of us do, because the hardware's not final and we're all going off hearsay and unfinished devkits.

#30 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

My phone is more powerful than the Xbox 360 at this point... Do people not realize how weak these systems actually are? Some truly amazing things can be done with software optimization (Gears, Uncharted), but the Xbox and PS3 are pretty decent 2005-06 computers, nothing more. They are massively outdated when compared with the power of a current PC. They are but a fraction of the power even my laptop puts out.

@CagePlay You seem to be a little out of touch.

#31 Posted by LiquidPrince (15946 posts) -

It better fucking be...

#32 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

A next gen console is more powerful than the current ones? No fucking way. Hold the fucking phone. Stop the fucking presses. You get the fucking idea. 

My point is, that the Wii U is supposedly more powerful than the 360 or PS3 is meaningless - it's like comparing the Gamecube to a PS1.

#33 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@iAmJohn Yes I agree it's not final as such but that's the latest news from Engadget who have stated this piece of info (which I would say is interesting info on the Wii U)

In response to your comment, I believe I do have an idea of what I'm talking about, even though I'm a new user of this site.
#34 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai Im comparing Wii U to 360 & PS3.
#35 Posted by DukesT3 (1917 posts) -

sweet and in two years it will be outdated tech. 

#36 Edited by corpulateguitar@gmail.com (38 posts) -

Actually from all the interviews ive seen/read through GB-GT-GS the WiiU is only slightly more powerful than the XBOX 360 not by much though but its cool to see NIN doing some work for their audience but sadly im 29 and am kinda of done with nintendo......for now....., we'll see what happens next year i really hope they knock me off my feet with this here's to hoping, good luck nintendo.

#37 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai
What kinda phone do you have? Max phone specs I've seen are 1.2 dual core with 1gb ram
#38 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

@CagePlay said:

@Rolyatkcinmai Im comparing Wii U to 360 & PS3.

I noticed, thanks. See my previous comment.

#39 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -

@CagePlay said:

@DonPixel For the moment, yes they still are actually.

I was under the impression that this was you saying that they were powerhouses.

#40 Posted by Vinny_Says (5707 posts) -
@LooseChange said:
If it's 50% better than current gen tech, it's already outdated tech....
#41 Posted by Mcfart (1624 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:

....almost 7 year old tech now.
#42 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

@blacklabeldomm said:

@LooseChange said:
If it's 50% better than current gen tech, it's already outdated tech....

Do you think the next 360 will be an octo-core?

I hate to say it, but the current gen of consoles is holding game development back. -read higher sales figures - I don't know if a more powerful system is really what we need.

Maybe video games are moving toward a younger market and we need to move on and let the next generation have their Mario experience. We aren't getting any younger, and as we age our desirability as a target demographic reduces significantly. Nintendo, Microsoft and PlayStation want our children until they hit their 30s and they move on to their children. Maybe?

#43 Posted by Damodar (1387 posts) -
@l4wd0g: I would think that they'd want their demographic to be as large as possible. This is kinda the first generation of middle aged men who have actually grown up on games, so it's not inconceivable that many of those people would continue to still like games. Given the way the 360 and PS3 also get a lot of use for other multimedia purposes, I don't think Sony or MS would stop pursuing people as potential customer for reaching, say, mid thirties. I'm fairly certain the average video game playing demographic at least for males is already extending in to 40's. 

As for the next generation of tech, it'll be hard to make it seem appealing if it's only a fairly small incremental step. I think Sony and MS will both try and go all out on their tech again. PC will certainly still be on the bleeding edge. 

As for the topic, if true, the Wii U's power is about what I expected it to be. Nintendo have shown that they don't need huge amounts of number crunching to make their games look appealing. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 certainly looked nice enough on fairly terrible hardware. The tech will seem outdated pretty much on arrival, but if they extend how their first party games look now, with a higher poly count for smoother edges, some nicer lighting and HD output and silky framerates, that's absolutely enough for them.
#44 Posted by Retro_Clone (49 posts) -
@Damodar said:
@l4wd0g: I would think that they'd want their demographic to be as large as possible. This is kinda the first generation of middle aged men who have actually grown up on games, so it's not inconceivable that many of those people would continue to still like games. Given the way the 360 and PS3 also get a lot of use for other multimedia purposes, I don't think Sony or MS would stop pursuing people as potential customer for reaching, say, mid thirties. I'm fairly certain the average video game playing demographic at least for males is already extending in to 40's.  As for the next generation of tech, it'll be hard to make it seem appealing if it's only a fairly small incremental step. I think Sony and MS will both try and go all out on their tech again. PC will certainly still be on the bleeding edge.  As for the topic, if true, the Wii U's power is about what I expected it to be. Nintendo have shown that they don't need huge amounts of number crunching to make their games look appealing. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 certainly looked nice enough on fairly terrible hardware. The tech will seem outdated pretty much on arrival, but if they extend how their first party games look now, with a higher poly count for smoother edges, some nicer lighting and HD output and silky framerates, that's absolutely enough for them.
CLAP CLAP CLAP
#45 Posted by thenexus (331 posts) -

Comparing it to current gen consoles though, even if it has better hardware is pretty crazy if you ask me. Even Nintendo themselves are comparing it to current machines. I do not know about you guys but I think that is nuts.

I have posted elsewhere about my concerns about the hardware for this thing and how it pushes all that data to the devices and handles what is coming back. Will you even see more then one of those controllers working on one machine? They have avoided that question. For just the one to work smoothly it has to have NO LAG of any sort. You need some grunt and good code to do that.

In terms of Launch - It will launch sometime in 2012. Could have hardware changes before then but when even Nintendo are comparing it to say the Xbox360, lets look at that.
2012 E3 - I will be VERY surprised if Microsoft at least will announce their new Console, we know dev kits could well be out there or at least the spec of what the hardware will be for developers. While E3 for MS was solid this year it was nothing even remotely special and last year was again just solid more then anything else.
Nothing wrong with that all, the polish in just about all areas is really good going BUT they must have a bit of an impact next year.
Console may not be out till 2013 but more likely end of 2012.
So we all can gather that is going to be a whole level if not more better then the Wii U. No idea what it will be but I can already see it making the wii U look dated.

If it is not going to have any decent online play, it is not going to play DVD's or Blu-Ray, the hardrive space is going to be how the xbox Arcade caused problems for developers in terms of memory storage.... Its got some great innovation but the practice elements of this console are all just really worrying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.