Wii U: Impressions?

Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

So this is just a short blog that I thought I'd write. After watching the Nintendo conference I am pretty impressed with the new console. It has the potential to be pretty innovative IF the console can do everything we actually saw in the video at the conference such as throwing ninja stars onto the screen from the controller, or pushing a video(the parrot video) from the controller onto the screen. BUT, does anyone else think Nintendo is continuing its streak of the stupidest sounding console names ever? I mean Wii:U? How does this not sound gay, "Hey guys how about we all come back to my house and play on my Wii U!!!" I mean seriously, the name needs to be changed. Its laughable.

#1 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

So this is just a short blog that I thought I'd write. After watching the Nintendo conference I am pretty impressed with the new console. It has the potential to be pretty innovative IF the console can do everything we actually saw in the video at the conference such as throwing ninja stars onto the screen from the controller, or pushing a video(the parrot video) from the controller onto the screen. BUT, does anyone else think Nintendo is continuing its streak of the stupidest sounding console names ever? I mean Wii:U? How does this not sound gay, "Hey guys how about we all come back to my house and play on my Wii U!!!" I mean seriously, the name needs to be changed. Its laughable.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'd say that it didn't excite me, but I'd feel like I'm repeating myself.

#3 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Yeah, I think it has the potential to be innovative too. 

Just like I thought that off the Wii. 

I will not fall for the same trick twice.

#4 Posted by Draco9898 (162 posts) -
I'm super excited for it, and will not mind waiting in front of walmart to grab it on day one.
#5 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1323 posts) -

I think it really shows the weight of the industry when Sony and Apple immediately says that they are going to experiment with the same technology.

What actually interests me the most is the extra power that this console offers as a kind of half-step towards the next generation, because right now we are at that point in the cycle where the developers have hit the barrier of graphical fidelity and where we are sort of seeing games that really focuses more on solid gameplay rather than pretty graphics.

The way I see it, it could potentially end out in some pretty awesome 3rd party exclusives for the Wii U, that really are traditional games that utilizes the controller, but in a non-gimmicky way, essentially making this console the Dreamcast 2.

#6 Edited by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

It's pretty neat. I'm still not entirely used to it being named... that, though. I think the problem is that I just can't use the name in a sentence without wanting to strangle myself.

#7 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

I agree that it is a dumb name and I also agree that it is very impressive if all they showed is true. I really want to play a game like Battlefield 3 on a Wii U to see if it can look better than the 360.

I still can't believe that Nintendo made an HD console for some reason.

#8 Posted by DepressedHippie (43 posts) -

I'm more worried that they won't have any triple A-games at launch . This is the time to hype your console with great software and I just didn't see it. Typically games you see at e3 for the first time are two years away, so i'm really concerned they might do a repeat of the 3DS launch when all there must have tittles are going to be 6-12 months behind the systems launch.

#9 Posted by joshth (506 posts) -
@DarkbeatDK
Indeed, I hope that this finally puts a rest to the idea that graphics is a major decider on rather or not a console or game is good.  I hope that the WiiU is indeed everything that it seems to be but, only time will tell.  Also the name DEFINITELY needs to be changed.
#10 Posted by Why_So_Serious (803 posts) -

Yeah I agree with everything. i thought the Wii would be innovative too but I never used it after the first 3 months I had it. I mean I gave it to my sister who doesnt live at home thats how little I played it. This looks like it could be really cool but I'm pretty sure E3 has given us empty promises before. Plus I really hate the name. Just reading your guys's sentences  that say "I cant wait to see how the Wii U handles (insert game here)" it just makes me laugh. I cant take it seriously.

#11 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Without trying to repeat myself I'm going to say it's a fantastic idea, but like all great ideas it needs backing from developers. They seem pretty excited about it so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can come up with, but it has to be new and exciting. No matter how cool the tech is, it needs the backing of developers. I think android tablets are a great example of this. They lack the support from developers so not many people invest in them. Wii U needs a killer app other than the hardware.

#12 Edited by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

I think they could do some neat things with the video in the controller, but I know that next to none of the developers are going to do anything with it because developers always put as little effort as possible into ports. So something as drastic as that is not going to have any serious uses unless it's a first party system or Nintendo gives a developer some huge money hats to do it. Just look at what little effort they need to do to make a PC port work well on a the PC control wise and how so many developers can't be bothered to put in the effort to do it. What do you think they are going to do with something so drastically different as that controller?

Time will tell, but I think it's going to become another Wii. This time however without the casuals to go ape shit for it and it will just be the uber hardcore Nintendo Fanboys that buy it. It all comes down to the games that get made for it, and so far there are none. So who can say.

#13 Posted by coolwhip83 (88 posts) -

I dunno. I have heard a few people in my surroundings say the name is 'neat'. It depends on who you ask.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.