Wii U release date leaked...

#1 Edited by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

...and it sounds like it'll be Sunday, November 18. I'll be picking one up and any games that'll make great use of the tablet controller. I'm curious as to what the new Aliens game will be like on the system. I don't think the release will be as popular as the first Wii because all the "casual" households I know that bought the system didn't support it by purchasing any software except for Wii Play and a couple of shovelware titles. It's the "Wii Sports" machine for these families and nothing else, so why would they need to purchase an update to the system? It's tragic because the Wii had a ton of great games that had to compete with a ton of shitty ones.

Does anyone think the Wii U's release will be as nuts as the original Wii's release?

Edit. The leak applies to the US market.

#2 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

Even though I'm skeptical of all leaks about new consoles, I could see Nintendo announcing this date at E3 and then putting it out just before the holiday season.

That said, I doubt it'll be as well received as the Wii was at launch. The name is too similar as well, which will just lead people to asking why they should buy one.

#3 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

it's not a leak because it's BS. we'd be lucky if they announce it even at E3 and don't wait till TGS-time

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Even though the quoted sources (some financial report that doesn't exist or some shit?) sound like bullshit, it's still probably fairly accurate, since we already know it will be released before the holiday season.

#5 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

@DeF said:

it's not a leak because it's BS. we'd be lucky if they announce it even at E3 and don't wait till TGS-time

I'm usually skeptical of new console leaks also, but I don't think it's BS at all. Wii U Daily posted something about this as well, stating that it was a date on an internal memo at a Media Land in Akihabara, Japan. Considering that Nintendo said the system is dropping this year and the rumored date is the same weekend as the Wii's and in time for the US holiday shopping season, I'd make a pretty big wager the leak is correct if I was a betting man.

There's no way in hell they wouldn't announce it at E3 either because Nintendo said they are giving out all the details on the system at their conference.

#6 Posted by kurtbro900 (117 posts) -

Nintendo released the Wii and DS the sunday before thanksgiving, this would fall in line with that.

#7 Posted by efman (208 posts) -

The date seems kind of far-fetched and ways off for a system trading on an incremental pushing of the hardware, unless they're really focused on bolstering their launch-lineup. I'm hoping we'll get a glimpse of games that jusify the system at this year's E3, and, goddamnit, have Mario Galaxy out in HD right away. I'll happily buy that again. Although it seems unlikely, it would be welcome to see Nintendo putting this thing out day-and-date with E3, pulling a Sega Saturn (was it?).

#8 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

@efman said:

The date seems kind of far-fetched and ways off for a system trading on an incremental pushing of the hardware, unless they're really focused on bolstering their launch-lineup. I'm hoping we'll get a glimpse of games that jusify the system at this year's E3, and, goddamnit, have Mario Galaxy out in HD right away. I'll happily buy that again. Although it seems unlikely, it would be welcome to see Nintendo putting this thing out day-and-date with E3, pulling a Sega Saturn (was it?).

I would love some form of a Mario Galaxy Wii U release at launch, even if it was just a HD upgrade. I'd love to see Nintendo putting this out at E3, but they're too conservative a company to pull such a ballsy move for system launch as important as this. Besides, the Saturn bombed and the surprise release was partially to blame from what I hear.

#9 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Ah leaks, the fancy internet way of saying good guess.

#10 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Sounds about right.

#11 Posted by spankingaddict (2655 posts) -

Awesome . The only way I'll be getting it on launch , is if Pikmin 3 is one of the launch games . Dang it , I want that game so hard ! :D

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

This may be complete bull, but surely they should be in a rush to beat even the hint of confirmed news about the next Sony/Microsoft consoles, and making the holiday rush would also certainly be a boon.

#13 Posted by BonOrbitz (2138 posts) -

@spankingaddict said:

Awesome . The only way I'll be getting it on launch , is if Pikmin 3 is one of the launch games . Dang it , I want that game so hard ! :D

Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say Pikmin 3 is going to be a launch title.

Miyamoto has stated that it is coming to the Wii U and I think a Pikmin title would be perfect with the system's functionality we saw so far.

#14 Posted by spankingaddict (2655 posts) -

@bonorbitz: I think it will , too . I just hope we aren't disappointed ..

#15 Posted by DeF (4778 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@spankingaddict said:

Also, if I was a betting man, I'd say Pikmin 3 is going to be a launch title.

Miyamoto has stated that it is coming to the Wii U and I think a Pikmin title would be perfect with the system's functionality we saw so far.

He's been saying they're working on Pikmin 3 since forever so if it's not a launch game that would be ridiculous. It should be perfect as a showcase for the controller AND pretty new graphics

@kurtbro900 said:

Nintendo released the Wii and DS the sunday before thanksgiving, this would fall in line with that.

@bonorbitz said:

@DeF said:

I'm usually skeptical of new console leaks also, but I don't think it's BS at all. Wii U Daily posted something about this as well, stating that it was a date on an internal memo at a Media Land in Akihabara, Japan. Considering that Nintendo said the system is dropping this year and the rumored date is the same weekend as the Wii's and in time for the US holiday shopping season, I'd make a pretty big wager the leak is correct if I was a betting man.

There's no way in hell they wouldn't announce it at E3 either because Nintendo said they are giving out all the details on the system at their conference.

Sure, it's very likely since it has to come out sometime on November or earlier and they probably want the system to be out in time so Assassin's III launches alongside it so people could potentially buy this with their console and they don't lose too many sales to the established platforms.

I just find it hard to believe that something like this would leak this early and especially from a place like this. Why would the Japanese retailer have info about the US launch date? Why would they get the info this early? I realize that these things need planning on the side of the manufacturer and the retailers but I'd assume that they release this information much closer to when they would reveal it publicly. Remember when the new 360 model revision in 2010 leaked in a retailer ad magazine days or mere hours before the E3 reveal? (I don't remember the details that well but it was somewhat like that). Also, I find it funny that this and the new "hardware is weaker than PS360" dev comments appear 1-2 days after April Fool's ...

In 2 months we'll know. It's coming between September and November and games will look pretty.

#16 Posted by efman (208 posts) -

@bonorbitz You're most certainly right about the strategizing of Nintendo's unique sense of operation as a company. Unless it's the other way around, this system just doesn't feel like as much of a major jump from Wii, and, being as conservative and restrained as they are as a company, never priorotizing hardware over appeal, it doesn't need to. I'd like to be proven otherwise, mostly because the very top games for the Wii are right up there among the very best of this generation. There would probaby need to be a whole lot more around this system, if they were to launch at E3, which, yeah, seems like a hasty move on their part. And, in regard to Pikmin 3, it feels like it's been a Wii project up Nintendo's sleeve they've been busting out at various events just to signal an eventual release of the title, so it ought to be a given that it'll be out.

#17 Posted by clientkiller (66 posts) -

Random question ... does any know if the wii u controller will use batteries or have a built in battery like the ipad? I'm sure a giant screen like that will sap plenty of juice.

#18 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

That release date makes a lot of sense. Still, I'll wait for there to be a good amount of games to come out. Took two years of waiting with the Wii, so we'll see.

#19 Edited by efman (208 posts) -

@clientkiller Undisclosed as yet. But looking at pictures of the constoller from the back, there appears to be a battery lid.

#20 Posted by Cloneslayer (1621 posts) -

I cant wait until this bombs and Nintendo only makes software (and handhelds)

*crosses fingers*

#21 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Yeah that date seems fine. Right before the Thanksgiving break.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.