Wii U sells 179K Software Units over 6 Months in UK

  • 77 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -
#2 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Ouch. I wouldn't declare it dead just yet, but they NEED a good holiday push this year.

#3 Posted by eskimo (477 posts) -

Less than the Vita! Yeah, dead.

#4 Posted by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

Just wait until the next Zelda game comes out. They will sell a few consoles.

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

They need to get more games. And perhaps an easier to program for system, I mean if the 3ds interface works, and moves like crap, I can only imagine what programing for it is like.

I mean, nintendo cant even make a good interface on it, so how do they expect third parties to port ( because they sure as hell are not going to make games just for the nintendo ) their games to the nintendo?

Nintendo needs to make a kit that just ports PC games, or software to the 3ds/Wii U. That is the only real answer. If they can do that then they might be able to convince third partys to port their games to take the time and money to sell their games on the Wii U

That or pay Unity, Unreal or who ever to make a good engine port so it would look great on those systems.

#6 Edited by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

Kicking off a new platform without enough product in the pipeline for the "launch window" is a big problem.

#7 Posted by Thoseposers (784 posts) -

@dagbiker: Unity has been available for wii u for a while, plus they have their Nintendo Web Framework but i don't know if anyone is actually using that

#8 Posted by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -
@extomar said:

"launch window"

"Launch Window" is my new favourite bullshit :)

#9 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

I'd put it on suicide watch in the UK at least.

#10 Edited by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -

They had so much time/money/talent to bring the fucking fire to the Wii U. Getting it launched a year ahead of the XONE and PS4 should have meant that we got a brand new 3D HD Mario game, a brand new 3D HD Zelda game, a brand new HD Metroid game, a brand new HD Mario Kart, a brand new HD Pikmin game, a brand new HD Kirby game, a brand new HD Super Smash Bros., a brand new HD F-Zero game, a brand new HD Donkey Kong game, a brand new 3D HD big screen Pokemon game, a brand new 3D HD Luigi-based game.

Something.

Something, to help lay the everlovin' smackdown on Sony and Microsoft WHO ARE BOTH STARTING A NEW GENERATION THIS MEGA FESTIVE HOLIDAY SEASON. Jesus, shit.

#11 Posted by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

god damm, they have the biggest install base, but yet they screw up so hard in converting that audience to WiiU

current 3 consoles seem to be selling fine though, which is good.

and hell the ds of all things seems to still have momentum,

glad to see vita picked up some form of momentum also.(which once they start showing off remote play it should get some more momentum as well)

#12 Posted by EXTomar (4722 posts) -

@extomar said:

"launch window"

"Launch Window" is my new favourite bullshit :)

We may still be in the WiiU "launch window"...who knows? :)

#13 Posted by Wraxend (564 posts) -

The fact that Wii software is outselling it shows there is either a huge brand confusion or that people are just not interested in it. Oh well I'm just happy that The Last of Us is still number 1 after 5 weeks in the UK, as I think this shows we're quite a savvy bunch when it comes to the games we buy haha.

#14 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

Yikes, they have all those historic IPs and new games announced for all of them and they couldn't sell more units than Vita? Even after E3?

I guess the public has spoken. I wouldn't say its dead in the water, probably TGS is the final straw. If people don't care after that nothing can save the WiiU.

#15 Posted by senrat (323 posts) -

Damn, thats worse than I thought. Im curious to see what a desperate nintendo pushed into a corner will do.

#16 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Oh, man. That's pretty dire.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3220 posts) -

@otacon said:

Ouch. I wouldn't declare it dead just yet, but they NEED a good holiday push this year.

Considering they are going up against brand new MS and Sony consoles, they will pretty much have to give away those machines and offer blowjobs along with game sales. Which means they also need a new Zelda, Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Mario Universe to launch in October.

Also, why the fuck are people still buying that many PS2s?

#18 Edited by Nicked (248 posts) -

I would assume that the sales gulf between PSV and Wii U is even slightly larger if this isn't counting download sales like off PSN. Sony is pushing hard on digital purchases for that platform. However, if you look at the revenue the Wii U handily beats the PSV. I wonder why the March numbers spiked for the Wii U, did a Mario game come out or something?

I still don't think the Wii U can bounce back, though maybe Mario Kart will prove me wrong. The real comparison to be making here is not PSV vs. Wii U, but 360/PS3 vs. Wii U. Nintendo can't catch up to that current gen install base and by Christmas they'll have PS4/Xbox One to contend with for shelf space and mind share. That's grim considering their poor advertising thus far.

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@djou said:

Yikes, they have all those historic IPs and new games announced for all of them and they couldn't sell more units than Vita? Even after E3?

I guess the public has spoken. I wouldn't say its dead in the water, probably TGS is the final straw. If people don't care after that nothing can save the WiiU.

Nintendo does not go to TGS and there will not be much Nintendo stuff there regarding Wii U. Maybe even nothing.

#20 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

This entire ordeal is a good thing for Nintendo, they need something like this to shake things up and force the management into new methods of business.

#21 Edited by ProfessorEss (7362 posts) -

@djou said:

Yikes, they have all those historic IPs and new games announced for all of them and they couldn't sell more units than Vita? Even after E3?

I guess the public has spoken. I wouldn't say its dead in the water, probably TGS is the final straw. If people don't care after that nothing can save the WiiU.

The problem is that with each passing year these "historic IPs" are meaning less and less to today's kids.

My son of 5 and most of the kids I know have next to zero interest in Nintendo's ageing franchises (besides Pokemon) despite the massive Nintendo marketing campaigns that myself and most of the dads have tried launching on their kids.

#22 Edited by Marcsman (3195 posts) -

Wow I'm impressed they moved that many. No lie

#23 Edited by aguststef (37 posts) -

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

#24 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

Great games? There is one Mario game coming out and one Zelda Remake Which are the great games you speak of?

#25 Edited by tourgen (4494 posts) -

A little surprised they moved that much product. I don't know, I guess I don't see the point of the WiiU. Nintendo is in dire need of new blood and new ideas.

#26 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

I don't know that there are a lot of people willing to drop $200 on an underpowered console with no big games and no prospect of imminent big games. I am sure that you will see software sales increase in the coming months because we're approaching the holiday season again, inertia should lead to an increase in sales compared to the summer months. While Nintendo consoles traditionally have a bunch of exclusive titles that people want to play that is not currently the case with the WiiU.

Lastly, an 800% increase in Amazon.co.uk sales rank is not an 800% increase in sales.

I don't understand why people assume things will just get better for the WiiU. The competition's new consoles will have to launch horribly if the WiiU is still to be relevant by the time Nintendo gets around to the next Mario, Zelda and Metroid. How many people are even waiting for those games before buying the system?

#27 Edited by aguststef (37 posts) -

Super Mario 3D world looks pretty good, I at least really enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze looks awesome (DKC Returns was one of the best games on the original Wii)

Sonic Lost World will be out in October and is looking like one of the best 3D platformers in the later years. Sonic Generations was a huge step in the right direction for the franchise and Lost World will continue getting Sonic back on track.

Pikmin 3 is almost out now and the Pikmin games have never let their fans down.

Rayman Legends isn't Wii U exclusive any more but it will have some exclusive stuff for the Wii U because of the gamepad and that game will be great. Rayman Origins was fantastic and I think Legends will be even better.

Wonderful 101 is pretty interesting and one of the games I need to research better.

These are all exclusive games (except Rayman which has exclusive stuff) coming out for the Wii U before 2014.

#28 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

And none of these games will sell a lot of consoles.

#29 Posted by falserelic (5436 posts) -

Nintendo needs to pull the plug, and give there franchises to other companies. The system is irrelevant and hasn't impressed me. People want to argue that the games are coming, but its going to be mostly uninteresting kiddy games.

#30 Posted by aguststef (37 posts) -

I'm not trying to say that the future of the Wii U is all bright but it's definitely not dead like many people say it is. When Nintendo lowers the price of the system it will sell.

And if you think for one minute that a big Mario game doesn't sell consoles you really have to think again about Nintendo.

#31 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@aguststef: When is the next main series Mario game coming out?

#32 Edited by aguststef (37 posts) -

@rebgav: December 2013 (Super Mario 3D World)

#33 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

I'm not trying to say that the future of the Wii U is all bright but it's definitely not dead like many people say it is. When Nintendo lowers the price of the system it will sell.

And if you think for one minute that a big Mario game doesn't sell consoles you really have to think again about Nintendo.

You count this Mario 3D land as the next big Mario? To me it is just a Mario U like game. Even more looking at the title and also the ga´me itself it seems to me that it at first was a 3DS game but due to the need of a Console Mario game they changed some stuff and now its a console game.

So please tell me when we see the next big Mario game.

Also the fucking Vita is outselling the Wii U

#34 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@rebgav: December 2013 (Super Mario 3D World)

Oh wow, that's a bummer.

#35 Posted by Veektarius (4817 posts) -

@aguststef: @rebgav: That's Super Mario 3D world in 12/2013 - I don't know if that's what rebgav was referring to, but a quasi-remake of a 3DS game doesn't strike me as what I'd call 'main series'. I'd be looking for the next iteration on Galaxy, or wherever they're going next.

#36 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

And I a terrible person for thinking that this is good? I think one of two things could come of this: 1, Nintendo revitalizes there game lineup for the wii u and actually puts out some unique games to push sales, instead of yet another zelda or Mario rehash. Or 2,they decided to give up on it, and they focus on making more great games for the 3ds, which is by far my favorite handheld to date (granted, I don't have a vita yet, which seems like it could be really cool once the ps4 launches). Either way, win-win, right?

#37 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@aguststef: @rebgav: That's Super Mario 3D world in 12/2013 - I don't know if that's what rebgav was referring to, but a quasi-remake of a 3DS game doesn't strike me as what I'd call 'main series'. I'd be looking for the next iteration on Galaxy, or wherever they're going next.

Exactly, where/when is this hardware gen's Mario game (or Zelda, or whatever)? And imagine how bizarre it would be if the sequel to a 3DS game, minus the reason for that game existing, was actually the one Mario game for this gen.

I don't even feel that I have a good idea of what Nintendo's WiiU games are going to be like. While the Kart game and the fighting game and Pikmin are all probably going to be fine they're pretty rigidly outlined, I don't have any real sense of how they're approaching their next versions of their big franchises, or how important the gamepad will be to those games, or when they might show up. If they're in development right now and looking amazing you'd think that it might be a good time to show something.

#38 Edited by Zornack (195 posts) -

@aguststef said:

And if you think for one minute that a big Mario game doesn't sell consoles you really have to think again about Nintendo.

NSMB was a much better selling game on the Wii than its big Mario counterpart. It actually sold more than Galaxy and Smash Bros. combined.

If NSMBU couldn't move consoles why will World?

#39 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

@darji said:

@aguststef said:

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

Great games? There is one Mario game coming out and one Zelda Remake Which are the great games you speak of?

If the only games you know about are the Mario game (which was overshadowed at E3 by other Nintendo games) and the Wind Waker remake (which didn't even get that much attention), then I can see why you'd be asking such questions.

Some games that are coming out this year include Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Batman Arkham Origins, Cloudberry Kingdom and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Next year also has Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and of course, X. Wii U has great games coming out, no doubt about that; the question is if they will save it.

#40 Posted by Veektarius (4817 posts) -

@willy105 said:

@darji said:

Great games? There is one Mario game coming out and one Zelda Remake Which are the great games you speak of?

If the only games you know about are the Mario game (which was overshadowed at E3 by other Nintendo games) and the Wind Waker remake (which didn't even get that much attention), then I can see why you'd be asking such questions.

Some games that are coming out this year include Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Batman Arkham Origins, Cloudberry Kingdom and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Next year also has Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and of course, X. Wii U has great games coming out, no doubt about that; the question is if they will save it.

If the problem is that they haven't sold enough consoles, I somehow doubt that multiplatform games are going to solve their troubles, so let's scratch them from the list, and Platinum games have never really been huge sellers. I have to agree with darji (for the first time ever) some of these games might be good, but I can't see any of them being huge. Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are way too iterative to be on the same level as the next adventure in the Zelda, Mario, or Metroid franchises.


#41 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@willy105 said:

@darji said:

@aguststef said:

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

Great games? There is one Mario game coming out and one Zelda Remake Which are the great games you speak of?

If the only games you know about are the Mario game (which was overshadowed at E3 by other Nintendo games) and the Wind Waker remake (which didn't even get that much attention), then I can see why you'd be asking such questions.

Some games that are coming out this year include Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Batman Arkham Origins, Cloudberry Kingdom and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Next year also has Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and of course, X. Wii U has great games coming out, no doubt about that; the question is if they will save it.

Again which of these game do you believe will sell consoles? Ass creed 4? Watch Dogs? Or are you one of these "Wii U will be saved by Bayonetta and a JRPG" dreamer?

#42 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

@darji said:

@willy105 said:

@darji said:

@aguststef said:

Amazon.co.uk have been lowering the Wii U price for a limited time, Basic Model was 229£ and is 149£ now. Premium was 279£ and is 199£ now. I even decided to buy the Premium for that price although there aren't alot of games out on the Wii U right now that I want to play.

Amazon.co.uk did the same thing earlier this year and the sales numbers went up by over 800%, I believe that the same thing is happening right now with this price cut.

As soon as Nintendo lowers the price permanently on Wii U the console will be fine. There are some great games coming out for the system in the coming months so we will see software sales go up.

Don't forget that Nintendo consoles have quite alot of games that are only available on Nintendo consoles that a number of people don't want to miss out on. Nintendo consoles are always great as a side console next to your major console (PS4 or XBone)

Great games? There is one Mario game coming out and one Zelda Remake Which are the great games you speak of?

If the only games you know about are the Mario game (which was overshadowed at E3 by other Nintendo games) and the Wind Waker remake (which didn't even get that much attention), then I can see why you'd be asking such questions.

Some games that are coming out this year include Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, Batman Arkham Origins, Cloudberry Kingdom and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. Next year also has Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, and of course, X. Wii U has great games coming out, no doubt about that; the question is if they will save it.

Again which of these game do you believe will sell consoles? Ass creed 4? Watch Dogs? Or are you one of these "Wii U will be saved by Bayonetta and a JRPG" dreamer?

None of the above? Read the last sentence of the post you quoted.

#43 Posted by daedelus (92 posts) -

I think Super Mario 3D World will be a system seller. It is basically the sequal to Super Mario 64, which was my favorite mario game.

#44 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@daedelus said:

I think Super Mario 3D World will be a system seller. It is basically the sequel to Super Mario 64, which was my favorite mario game.

How do you even see a slight resemblance with that game and Mario 64? It is more a Sequel to Mario 3D Land from the 3DS.

#45 Posted by daedelus (92 posts) -

@darji: They are both 3d platformers. 3D land, 3D world and the galaxy sereies are all decendants of mario 64.

#46 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@daedelus said:

@darji: They are both 3d platformers. 3D land, 3D world and the galaxy sereies are all decendants of mario 64.

Oh come on....

It does not even use the same mechanics. Mario 64 and Galaxy for example used the star system which threw you out everytime you collected a star but it was rather open worldish and you could decide what to do first.

In 3D world you can not even do that. You follow a straight level to a Pole so you can end the Level. Again just like Mario 3D land. Come on just because it is 3D does not slightly justify that it is a sequel to Galaxy or Mario 64. 3D land was also 3D and it looks way more similar to 3D world and was also not called a Mario 64 Sequel.

This is getting really desperate here..

#47 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

You know something is wrong it gets out sold by the fucking Vita.

#48 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3866 posts) -

I've stopped counting Nintendo out, they seem to always find a way to surprise you but yeah things aren't looking great. I hope they can rally somehow but I dunno.

#49 Posted by Superkenon (1430 posts) -

I'm happy with my niche.

#50 Edited by Lucien21 (108 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.