Wii U’s Controller May Have Seen Some Changes

• 142 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -

Nintendo’s said very little about Wii U since its public debut at last year’s E3, but that should change at this year’s E3, in which the company is expected to answer most of our lingering questions. (Price will not be one of them, though).

Whether or not Nintendo has modified the Wii U hardware has been a topic of intense speculation. While the Wii U’s internal specs will remain a mystery for a little while longer, it appears the controller has undergone changes.

Games Radar picked up on a (now deleted) tweet from a Traveller’s Tales employee, which included a shot of the Wii U controller. Compared to our last look at the tablet-like controller, there’s one major change: proper analog sticks. There were 3DS-like Circle Pad sticks on the last iteration. The start and select buttons have been moved to the right-hand corner, and there’s a mysterious square on the left--it wouldn't surprise me if that was for syncing.

The Traveller's Tales connection should not be surprising. The Grand Theft Auto-style LEGO City Stories is a Wii U and 3DS exclusive, and it's likely Wii U will be added to the lineup of platforms for future LEGO games.

Nintendo declined to comment on the changes.

“We do not comment on rumors or speculation,” said the company in a statement.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -

Nintendo’s said very little about Wii U since its public debut at last year’s E3, but that should change at this year’s E3, in which the company is expected to answer most of our lingering questions. (Price will not be one of them, though).

Whether or not Nintendo has modified the Wii U hardware has been a topic of intense speculation. While the Wii U’s internal specs will remain a mystery for a little while longer, it appears the controller has undergone changes.

Games Radar picked up on a (now deleted) tweet from a Traveller’s Tales employee, which included a shot of the Wii U controller. Compared to our last look at the tablet-like controller, there’s one major change: proper analog sticks. There were 3DS-like Circle Pad sticks on the last iteration. The start and select buttons have been moved to the right-hand corner, and there’s a mysterious square on the left--it wouldn't surprise me if that was for syncing.

The Traveller's Tales connection should not be surprising. The Grand Theft Auto-style LEGO City Stories is a Wii U and 3DS exclusive, and it's likely Wii U will be added to the lineup of platforms for future LEGO games.

Nintendo declined to comment on the changes.

“We do not comment on rumors or speculation,” said the company in a statement.

Staff
#2 Edited by Great__defunct__Northern (127 posts) -

Still have no idea what to think about the Wii U

#3 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I still don't know why they think it's a good idea to put the right stick above the buttons. But whatever.

#4 Posted by mrfluke (5092 posts) -

wii u definitely has potential, cant wait till e3

#5 Posted by swedmiro (46 posts) -

I for one, welcomes our new corporate overlords...

#6 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

Definitely happy about the circle pad change. It works well for the 3DS but for a console game you need that ease of movement.

#7 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

Someone at Traveler's Tales is getting the boot...

#8 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

Could they change it to something I actually want to hold?

#9 Posted by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

While I'm totally comfortable at this point using tablets since I use an iPad pretty frequently, the idea of wielding this thing to play console games on a TV just seems crazy to me. It just simply doesn't look like it'd be comfortable to hold and use with it's flat sides.

#10 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

It's 100% not the sync button, that one is still on the backside (and red and tiny, like on the Wiimote).

There were patents that surfaced in January or so that showed the changes. The stylus was also moved and the backside should have grips.

#11 Edited by heavyplay (292 posts) -

I kinda doubt that they would place sync buttons on the face of the device. That square button has a match next to the power button, so there's two of them.

#12 Posted by hatebitmhz (3 posts) -

Definitely a unique placement for the sticks, even in the original pics. Glad the new analogs appear to be proper ones though. I am not a big fan of the 3DS circle pad design :(

#13 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

It just looks cheap.

And the worst part is that it won't be.

#14 Posted by jorok_goldblade (9 posts) -

The square below the D-Pad is probably a marker for the Near Field Communication. I'm assuming they'd rather players tap the NFC toys to a spot on the casing then scrape them across the touch screen, leaving Skylander claw marks all over it.

#15 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

The one by the power button can be a sync button and the one under the dpad can be the one the makes the controller the main screen.

#16 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

@Evercaptor said:

Someone at Traveler's Tales is getting the boot...

Yeah, I feel bad for the guy. Since the Wii controller had already been revealed he probably didn't think it was a big deal to take a pic showing he had access to one.

#17 Edited by Cheebahh (38 posts) -

Looks like cheap, plasticy shit. Suppose it has to be for the kid/casual market though.

Nintendo I've been with you since the NES, through thick and thin, defending you and your silly decisions right up 'til now.

I'm putting it out there, fuck the Wii U.

#18 Posted by Devil240Z (3271 posts) -

Im tired of missing out on cool wii exclusive games because of how stupid their controller is. i just want a normal ass controller.

#19 Posted by Ohvee (143 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

It just looks cheap.

You really do get a good feel of the controller in a picture taken from a cellphone.

#20 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I still don't know why they think it's a good idea to put the right stick above the buttons. But whatever.

My guess is that if the right stick were that low, it would be a stretch to use that stick and hit the shoulder button at the same time, making the Wii U version of any first person game cramp inducing.

#21 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -

I am so interested to see how E3 goes for Nintendo this year. Nintendo has a lot of people to convince with the Wii U.

#22 Edited by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Will see when I get to see it in my hands, but I'm not liking it at all. Looks like it's going to be a pain to hold for long stretches, and just uncomfortable to use. Will see in time, but at a quick glance it reminds me of some fisher price kids toy.

#23 Posted by wumbo3000 (937 posts) -

@GreatNorthern said:

Still have no idea what to think about the Wii U

Totally agree. Need to see some actual goddamn software.

#24 Posted by DefaultProphet (377 posts) -

Sticks/buttons are still in a straight up RETARDED position on the right. Fuck that

#25 Posted by BiG_Weasel (524 posts) -

I was duped into buying a Wii, and will not be buying this whatsoever. First party games are all well and good, but like the last 2 systems (Wii, 3DS), third party support is nearly non-existent. I can't keep playing Mario/Zelda/Metroid all over again. I need variety.

#26 Posted by fishless (55 posts) -

Looks like Nintendo really is getting more serious about winning back favor with core gamers!

#27 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@Sammo21 said:

Could they change it to something I actually want to hold?

Nintendo ain't no dating service.

#28 Posted by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

@Ohvee said:

@GS_Dan said:

It just looks cheap.

You really do get a good feel of the controller in a picture taken from a cellphone.

There have been plenty of photos taken and lots of footage. This looks pretty much the same.

#29 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (281 posts) -

@Cheebahh said:

Looks like cheap, plasticy shit. Suppose it has to be for the kid/casual market though.

Nintendo I've been with you since the NES, through thick and thin, defending you and your silly decisions right up 'til now.

Picking a strange time to leave Nintendo aren't you? considering the fresh start they have with the WiiU to dedicate more of their resources to the hardcore... and the fact that they have said they would be anyway? surely you could have just said "Fuck Nintendo" during the Wii's lifecycle?

We know almost nothing about this console except that they are dedicating more time and more games to the hardcore, which is great. I think it's just a bit too early to say fuck the WiiU.

#30 Posted by JesterPC238 (341 posts) -

It still does not look like something I'd want to hold the way they seem to want me to hold it...

#31 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

@gladspooky: and they aren't making interesting things either.

@JonathanAshleyMoore: I would hardly say they are catering to hardcore. We need to give them time to see what they think that means. They also stated the same thing about the Wii after about a year and we see how good that worked out.

#32 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@evanbower said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

My guess is that if the right stick were that low, it would be a stretch to use that stick and hit the shoulder button at the same time, making the Wii U version of any first person game cramp inducing.

I guess that probably makes the most sense. It just seems like it might take a lot of getting used to.

#33 Posted by bug9329 (47 posts) -

@GS_Dan: Nintendo thinks of itself as a toymaker. As a result, they make things that look toy-like but that have physical durability. I'd bet you can drop this controller, step on it, drip ice cream on it, etc and it will continue to work.

#34 Posted by mbr2 (559 posts) -

It's like the Genesis controller but even more awkward.

#35 Posted by Phoenix87 (472 posts) -

Its needs to come with a trash can peripheral so that I have somewhere to put that monstrosity.

#36 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@evanbower said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

I guess that probably makes the most sense. It just seems like it might take a lot of getting used to.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's gonna be a ride, man!

#37 Edited by Jolt92 (1542 posts) -

It may look like a toy but at least Nintendo-controllers are actually durable. I'm looking at you Xbox 360-controller (which is almost the perfect controller in other ways).

edit: And who cares if it looks like a toy, games are toys...

#38 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@JesterPC238 said:

It still does not look like something I'd want to hold the way they seem to want me to hold it...

You said the same thing to me , bastard :(

I just want love!

#39 Posted by RichieJohn (525 posts) -

I just want it to come out and I want to have enough money to buy it.

It'll have Mario right?

#40 Posted by Shimafran (45 posts) -

It looks like an improvement over the earlier iteration but I'm still not liking the button/stick placement at all.

#41 Posted by Emperor_Jimmu (249 posts) -

Does anybody else think that looks like a very unpleasant object to hold? I would feel more comfortable with a bag of dog crap in my hands.

#42 Posted by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

A lot of you sound entitled.

#43 Posted by RedRoach (1176 posts) -

@Jolt92 said:

It may look like a toy but at least Nintendo-controllers are actually durable. I'm looking at you Xbox 360-controller (which is almost the perfect controller in other ways).

edit: And who cares if it looks like a toy, games are toys...

what are you talking about? I've been using the same 360 controller for 7 years.

#44 Posted by Lucidlife (107 posts) -

@Cheebahh:

Really? It looks like every single thing that Apple has ever put out. So you think their products are shit too right?

#45 Posted by KarmaPoliceman (143 posts) -

The gamecube controller is probably my favourite ever, and the Wiimote was very comfortable when used properly. But this thing...

#46 Posted by IronScimitar (479 posts) -

The Wii U is gonna be a pain in the ass to capture for QLs.

#47 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

NEEDS to ditch the resistive touch screen.

#48 Posted by movac (25 posts) -

Regarding the "cheap" look, it's worth noting that this is a pre-release developer unit, not the final product.

#49 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

The more I see, the more it reminds me of this:-

#50 Posted by frankiebeanz (176 posts) -

The idea of having a touch screen in the controller is really cool but that just does not look comfortable and I will definitely not be buying any non nintendo games on the WiiU i will probably only buy zelda and smash bros just like I did for the Wii sadly I sat outside in the rain for 9hrs when the Wii launched just so I can buy zelda twilight princess and smash bros the only 2 games I ever bought sadly but my nieces played with it till they got an ipad now its just a dust collector :/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.