Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

WiiU Multiple Controller Support?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

According to Develop Online, an anonymous but trusted development executive has told them that within the Wii U's code-base there are signs that the platform is being prepared to run at least two WiiU controllers. The source also noted that Nintendo is approaching the finishing line for solving issues with running multiple WiiU controllers without requiring expensive hardware.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/39077/Nintendo-working-on-Wii-U-support-for-two-tablets

Related Threads:

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shadows_kill

I really hope its true...

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

They have to be able to run at least two. No one wants to play multiplayer locally with one person having the cool new tablet controller and the other guy having a Wii remote. Still not excited about the platform but if they get some cool local multiplayer games with two WiiU controllers I'll pick one up after a couple years.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By lord_canti

its surprising that it was announced that before it was possible to have 2 connected

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By MetalBaofu

Of course it will support at least 2. I know Nintendo can be a out of touch, but I refuse to believe they would release that system with it only able to support one of those controllers at a time.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

@lord_canti said:

its surprising that it was announced that before it was possible to have 2 connected

Well they were kinda forced into a announcement with the flurry of Project Cafe rumours being banded about at the time (and ghastly looking mocks). They also took every opportunity to point out to people on the show floor that WiiU was very much "work in progress".

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think it's a lose-lose situation for Nintendo here. If they only allow one WiiU controller, people are going to complain that it limits games on the console. If they allow multiple WiiU controllers, there is going to be the whole "You want me to pay how much for a controller?" when they announce the price of the thing (which won't be cheap, with a giant ass screen in the middle). Of course, I'm sure Nintendo will make money from this thing whichever route they take, but there will be some negative public reception of it whether they have one controller or more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.