Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

will the wii u be as hard to find as the wii?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BradBrains

im really interested to see if we will repeat what happened with the wii and have months of people waiting outside to get one.

what do you guys think? Im thinking hard to get before christmas then after boxing day sales you should be able to walk in a get one.

I really don't want that to be the case as i want to see the people who are buying the system to simply resell it for higher price get stuck with the console. check ebay: 1200 for the console. fuck them.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Probably not. Nintendo said that retailers would be much better stocked this time around.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mikey87144

Uh demand is not that high. Looks like this console launch is kinda flat. Nintendo should(not?) be worried.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yakov456

I highly doubt it. Except for the gaming world I really haven't seen much of it shown to the everyday public. Maybe in time?

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WonderboyCoz

@mikey87144: what? they are already sold out all over the place and are going for $500+ on ebay. Hard to tell what demand will be in the future but the launch seems to be going pretty well.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

For this holiday season, probably, but Wii's were tough to get for like, a full year, maybe more. We'll probably see Wii U's on the shelf early next year.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

Nintendo is in a bad spot financially. They need to sell systems not make an artificial shortage like they did last time.

Supes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supes

I walked in to my local Gamestop and was able to pre order a premium pack no problem. I do remember the same shop would not take any more pre orders for the wii at its launch. I guess it should be easy enough to get one,

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Alexandru

If it's hard, shouldn't it stick out?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I think if you walked into a store right now you could probably get one, probably not a deluxe. On twitter sounds like people haven't had to much issue walking up or lining up at the store at open and getting one. I did the ps2 and wii releases and lines were fairly large and I live in a pretty populated area.

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Freezer_Burn

When I went to get mine at the local Walmart, they only seemed to have about a Dozen. It would seem they'll be in shortage for the time being.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

If they do see a shortage, I don't think it'll be for very long. The hype machine has been very cold for the Wii U, from what I can tell. None of my friends are at all interested this time around with what Nintendo has to offer.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hwy_61

Hell no.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

With new consoles on the horizon for 2013, Nintendo better sell as many as they can.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Giefcookie

@WonderboyCoz said:

@mikey87144: what? they are already sold out all over the place and are going for $500+ on ebay. Hard to tell what demand will be in the future but the launch seems to be going pretty well.

Based on Jeff's tweets he got a deluxe today by just showing up at a store.

swedmiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By swedmiro

There are a few facts that we know. No1: systems sell at a loss, so nintendo wont be making any money on the hardware sales for a while. No2: Pre orders has been higher than for the Wii, which had the biggest launch selling numbers so far in history. GamesStop has sold 1.2 million in pre sales and have 500 000 ready for today. Wii U has sold out everywhere in the world where they have taken pre-orders. In sweden, where it launches on the 30th, Pre orders are still on but only for the second wave of deliveries. That wave hit the big online stores at the 6th of december, so Nintendo seems to keep up with frequent deliveries even to suck a small market as the nordic market.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

i just walked into my Target today and pretty much just asked the dude at the store if i can get the deluxe no lines, no problems.... i'm 380$ less rich (tax included)

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Friend just told me he waited in line for one with about 13 people including himself. When he got in somebody who was shopping early asked him what he was in line for and immediately replied, "oh" and proceeded to buy toilet paper and diapers.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By alternate

It is going to be hard to find before xmas if you are just walking in to stores. I can't see it selling out past that though. It is not going to sell like the wii did - that really was a phenomenon with all the casuals and non-traditional gamers - and Nintento will have ramped production up anticipating demand this time.

They were taken by surprise with the Wii and sold a lot more than expected. They are gearing production to match those sales this time and I suspect they have overestimated demand.

cblackweiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cblackweiu

Went to Best Buy at about 10:20am and grabbed the last deluxe set. 4 other people had wii u's in there hands and the wii u area was fairly full. There were 3 other consoles still on the shelf when I left but I bet they were gone 20 mins later.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BradBrains

none when i came at noon no surprises there really.

I am interested to know where people are. its looking like a lot of the bigger cities havent had much of a problem wit stock.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#23  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I don't expect the shortage like we had before. That was just a really bad time for being able to supply stores with the merchandise. By now Nintendo should have a good supply chain that allows a better amount of Wii U's to get into stores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.