Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Will Wii games play on the Wii U controller sans TV?

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AsperGamer

I looked but I didn't find an answer, so I am curious if anyone here knows or has seen an answer to my question - with the Wii U controller, will you be able to play Wii games on it as well as Wii U ones, without the television? I am assuming no, due to how you would play games that required a pointer control, but if I could, it could sway whether I got a launch day purchase or not. Playing Fire Emblem Wii as my best ever toilet game would be a big winner. Anyone know the absolute answer?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Maybe games with classic controller support like NBA Jam or Xenoblade... I don't know, actually. I'll stay tuned.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

I'm guessing most likely not.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Julmust

Probably not, but that would be kind of cool actually.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RE_Player1

Nope.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By muralbat

It'd be damn cool but I doubt it

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Willy105

They will not, because the Wii U has to switch to 'Wii mode' to make the Wii games work, meaning functionality on the tablet will be turned off.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AsperGamer

@Willy105 said:

They will not, because the Wii U has to switch to 'Wii mode' to make the Wii games work, meaning functionality on the tablet will be turned off.

That sounds entirely logical. It isn't that they can't, rather that they won't if that is the case. There is no technological reason not to. To me this is the difference to buy now or later. I suppose for a final answer we will have to wait until someone asks Nintendo and the answer is published, or wait for release.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By iamjohn

@AsperGamer said:

There is no technological reason not to.

There is, actually, and it's needing to build that sensor bar tech into the tablet in such a way that you can use a Wiimote with it without it either interfering with the rest of the controller (both in functionality and space) or being positioned in such a way that it makes playing Wii games on the controller an arduous process. I've held that controller - it's pretty tightly packed already and I'm not exactly sure where they'd put it except to build it into the part where the camera goes, which I'm guessing would somehow interfere with the camera?

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

No VC games on it also...currently.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AsperGamer

@iAmJohn said:

@AsperGamer said:

There is no technological reason not to.

There is, actually, and it's needing to build that sensor bar tech into the tablet in such a way that you can use a Wiimote with it without it either interfering with the rest of the controller (both in functionality and space) or being positioned in such a way that it makes playing Wii games on the controller an arduous process. I've held that controller - it's pretty tightly packed already and I'm not exactly sure where they'd put it except to build it into the part where the camera goes, which I'm guessing would somehow interfere with the camera?

But games that don't use waggle or those that have non-waggle options, it is as simple as playing it with the gamepad controls, surely?

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Same as above - there is no reason why it couldn't do VC games. That would be awesome as well, I didn't think of that.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

@AsperGamer said:

But games that don't use waggle or those that have non-waggle options, it is as simple as playing it with the gamepad controls, surely?

I suppose, but it'd probably take a lot more work to have it default to GameCube/Classic Controller-only mode when the system is, most likely, going to be running the Wii stuff through hardware emulation. Not that they couldn't do it, but the amount of work it would take for a feature most people probably wouldn't take advantage of is one of those things Nintendo (nor Sony or Microsoft, really) would never do.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willy105
    @AsperGamer said: 

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

Same as above - there is no reason why it couldn't do VC games. That would be awesome as well, I didn't think of that.

You will be able to play Wii VC games on the Wii U, but not on the tablet, because the VC games themselves are Wii games. The Wii U has to go into "Wii mode" to run them, which obviously will make the tablet inaccessible. 

However, there is no reason for Wii U VC games to not be able to do it.
    AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AsperGamer

@Willy105 said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

You will be able to play Wii VC games on the Wii U, but not on the tablet, because the VC games themselves are Wii games. The Wii U has to go into "Wii mode" to run them, which obviously will make the tablet inaccessible. However, there is no reason for Wii U VC games to not be able to do it.

I am pretty sure that is what he meant. Still a shame that it isn't an option. I still believe there is no technological reason to stop it - where there is a will there is a way.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I won't be happy if they create some odd two tier system, all the VC games should be put on the new system so I can play on the GamePad.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Willy105
    @AsperGamer said:

@Willy105 said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

You will be able to play Wii VC games on the Wii U, but not on the tablet, because the VC games themselves are Wii games. The Wii U has to go into "Wii mode" to run them, which obviously will make the tablet inaccessible. However, there is no reason for Wii U VC games to not be able to do it.

I am pretty sure that is what he meant. Still a shame that it isn't an option. I still believe there is no technological reason to stop it - where there is a will there is a way.

This can be fixed if Nintendo allows the people who own Wii VC's to download an updated Wii U-compatible version. 
    AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AsperGamer

@Willy105 said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Willy105 said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

This can be fixed if Nintendo allows the people who own Wii VC's to download an updated Wii U-compatible version.

Which it should.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#18  Edited By LordAndrew

What is the resolution of the Wii U controller display?

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By muralbat

Wait are some of you a angry that they're only letting the Video games be played on the actual console? I say good for them for making it backwards compatible first and foremost. If they could be played on the tablet that would be AMAZING but Its not such a painful thing for me to have to play a game on my console.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AsperGamer

@muralbat said:

Wait are some of you a angry that they're only letting the Video games be played on the actual console? I say good for them for making it backwards compatible first and foremost. If they could be played on the tablet that would be AMAZING but Its not such a painful thing for me to have to play a game on my console.

True, but that isn't a good reason not to make it an option.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By muralbat

@AsperGamer said:

@muralbat said:

True, but that isn't a good reason not to make it an option.

I agree its the easy way out just to have it on the console but then you run into the issue of games that need Wii Motes and stuff, then people will say (Like I would) I'd be happy with the games that dont need wii motes) which leads to all sorts of things like the xbox backwards compatibility list of random titles dotted around that work.

However, if it's possible, I'd love it

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.