Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Worth buying a Wii U

• 57 results
    theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Worth buying a Wii U (259 votes)

Yes 24%
    No 75%
     • 
    theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about picking one up soon. What do those of you who own one think? Worth buying? Pass? Pass for now?

GenghisJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GenghisJohn

You're going to buy it, download 5 gigs, and then play what game?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The actual next-gen consoles are coming out this fall, so no.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't think it's worth it right now. I'd wait at least till E3 before even entertaining the thought of getting one.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I bought one and I feel like I was robbed.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't you put text in the body of the poll now? Also don't buy one now. Wait till Pikmin 3, and if it gets good reviews and buzz, buy one then!

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By theimmortalbum

I couldn't figure out how to put text in the body, but I'm on a iPad. No replying either, apparently. My gut feeling was no, but I was thinking someone might have a compelling reason to the contrary. Guess not, eh? That's sad.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd say for now, no. But once Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, Monster Hunter(for me at least) and other games that will probably be revealed at E3 hit it'll definitely be worth it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have a Wii U and I enjoy it. The best game for it right now is Zombi U easily. Right now though there isn't a whole lot to play. If there are any games you want down the road for it, might as well wait.

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll probably be more enticing down the line when Nintendo puts out more games for it. I am tempted on getting the new ZombiU bundle though.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to vote since I don't have one but my advice is to save that money for either the new XBox or PS4.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

I'd say wait on it, unless you plan on playing NSMBU and ZombiU for the next few months.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say so, but there is no hurt in hanging onto your dollars until there are a few more games you want to play, unless if the lineup is already really interesting for you.

I'd top that off with saying that you're not going to get an accurate poll, because views here are highly skewed towards PS/XB. Thing is, you don't know how much they'll cost, what sort of hardware they'll pack, when they're going to come out, whether they'll be worth it, etc. Anything who says anything decisively has their head up their ass. You can make predictions, but nothing is set in stone.

As far as cost is concerned, they're not really overpriced and the platform is good for ~5 years. Nintendo refreshes hardware 20-25% faster, so some might say it's worth getting in on the ground floor.

maximus_vi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maximus_vi

@reckless_x said:

I'd say wait on it, unless you plan on playing NSMBU and ZombiU for the next few months.

True, but I own both and still rarely play my Wii U. NSMB:U is just more of the same, and ZombiU failed to hook me. I hate myself for buying one at launch instead of waiting for a price drop.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I'd wait on it a bit. I have one now, and while I definitely have fun with it, I find myself waiting for the release date on Bayonetta 2 and waiting for them to announce a little more about the next Smash Brothers, that Xenoblade sequel, etc.

It might not be worth it to most people now, but after all of that comes out I'm gonna be damn glad I own one, that's for sure.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By galiant

I don't own one, but the five hours I spent with it didn't really impress me much. It's just another gimmick: No thanks...

Thandurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm holding off purchasing a Wii U until Nintendo releases some worthwhile first party titles. New Super Mario Bros. U is well and good but I need a Metroid or Legend of Zelda game to really sell me the system.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

As much as I love mine so far (it's fucking awesome), I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. We're also like 3 months into it's existence, the only console I can think of that was worth owning so early was maybe the Gamecube. I remember having a launch 360 and only playing like two games on it for months (Call of Duty 2 and Kameo). Seriously it was those two and a bunch of ports from the last gen.

Edit: Also, geometry wars.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
    JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a person who has one, I can tell you it's not worth it. There are no games, New Super Mario Bros is jank as fuck and plays just like every other, there are no games in essence.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

With the release of Monster Hunter I'm really tempted to pick one up but the list of upcoming games is just scary. There is literally nothing good coming to the system besides Rayman and that will most likely drop just a few months before the next batch of consoles come out. If Nintendo would have released the system with a Zelda, maybe a Metroid, something big that's a first party title (and that super mario game doesn't count, it's been released a dozen times now with different names) then I would have been able to justify the purchase.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God no. Unless you really want a dual screen loading time simulator. You know, for parties or something.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're a video game enthusiast of the highest caliber, I'd say wait on it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping it gets a price cut to compete with the next gen consoles. I'd probably pick it up then. But with the next gen consoles probably being around the same price as the WiiU is now (most likely a bit higher) it's hard to warrant the purchase.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ITS NOT WORTH IT.

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy one Add me MedalOfMode

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For everyone saying it's worth it, I'd love to hear the reasoning. There are a ton of reasons not to: no games, issues with loading, price, no games...etc. For those enjoying the console, why do you like it so much and think others should pick one up?

NucArc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my experience, I like the wii u it's just bone dry right now. Honestly I wish I wouldve waited because I haven't played it in months. If the games start flowing it'll be a pretty good console but right now definitely not worth it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it's heaps of fun.

The weekend after I bought a Wii U (which I bought on launch day), I had some friends over and we spent roughly 9 straight hours playing Nintendo Land. It's so much fun, and I don't remember ever having a multiplayer experience like that with a game. Having one person with a dedicated screen opens all sorts of possibilities for fun innovations in multiplayer games.

It's a great console, and there's a bunch of great titles on the horizon.

If you buy it now you can take advantage of the Virtual Console sales that they recently announced (which I think are still happening).

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jdh5153

If you like collecting failed products, go for it. Put it in a glass case because you won't have shit to play on it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By crusader8463

I have been hovering over the buy button on a cart with a Zombie U Deluxe Edition Wii U, Lego City, and Monster Hunter Ultimate over at Futureshop.ca for a few days now but I have not gone in and doubt I will. I have the money sitting in my back account thanks to a hefty tax return I got, but I'm not going to buy it and I don't think anyone should right now. There's still not enough games worth playing on it and Nintendo has not done a good job at saying what's in the future for software on that platform.

So I will say to you the same thing I have been telling myself and anyone that asks if they should buy one. Wait for E3 and see what Nintendo has to say then and go from there.

I have no proof of it, but given Nintendo's love of relaunching an updated system -not to mention the god awful sales- I would not be surprised if they do a relaunch of an updated system later this year or a huge price drop to try and compete against the PS4 and X-Box 3 that will be launching later this year. Plus there's going to be a PS4 and an X-Box 3 later this year that will probably cost about the same you would be spending on a Wii U. So unless you really love Nintendo first party games those systems will probably get you more mileage.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Snail

@crusader8463 said:

I have been hovering over the buy button on a cart with a Zombie U Deluxe Edition Wii U, Lego City, and Monster Hunter Ultimate over at Futureshop.ca for a few days now but I have not gone in and doubt I will. I have the money sitting in my back account thanks to a hefty tax return I got, but I'm not going to buy it and I don't think anyone should right now. There's still not enough games worth playing on it and Nintendo has not done a good job at saying what's in the future for software on that platform.

So I will say to you the same thing I have been telling myself and anyone that asks if they should buy one. Wait for E3 and see what Nintendo has to say then and go from there.

I have no proof of it, but given Nintendo's love of relaunching an updated system -not to mention the god awful sales- I would not be surprised if they do a relaunch of an updated system later this year or a huge price drop to try and compete against the PS4 and X-Box 3 that will be launching later this year. Plus there's going to be a PS4 and an X-Box 3 later this year that will probably cost about the same you would be spending on a Wii U. So unless you really love Nintendo first party games those systems will probably get you more mileage.

I disagree with what you said on your first paragraph. Having watched the latest Nintendo Direct videos that addressed the Wii U specifically, they seem to have a solid line-up planned out for the console. It's just not here yet. Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, the better version of Rayman Legends and the updated version of Wind Waker are games that have been announced for the console and are slated to come out this year, and we're not even out of Q1 yet. You can already play Nintendo Land, which is some of the best multiplayer fun I have ever had in all my life, Lego City Undercover, Zombi U, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate if that's your thing.

I also highly doubt Nintendo will release a redesigned version of their console. They came out with redesigned versions for the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo 3DS pretty quickly, but the first redesign for the Wii (that "family edition" which initially was an European exclusive) took something like 4 years to come out. Why would they even redesign the Wii U?

As for a price drop? I highly doubt it, since Nintendo is already reportedly turning a loss with every Wii U that it sells. However, that's the only one of your argument thats that sounded valid to me. Hardware becomes cheaper over time, and maybe by the holiday season Nintendo will be able to skew the price just a bit lower - but I highly doubt it.

Also the PS4 and whatever the next-generation Microsoft console will be called are bound to be more expensive than the Wii U at launch. Not only do they pack much more expensive hardware, but, as I've pointed out, Nintendo pushed a price so competitive they were reported as turning a loss per console sold at launch. I don't think either Microsoft or Sony will take on such an aggressive pricing strategy. I'd expect the "basic version" of those two consoles to cost something like 100$ more than a Premium Wii U.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think I might pick one up near the end of its life and get all the nintendo games I want to play and that will be it. But with the PS4 and the next Xbox coming out soon the WiiU just isn't tempting at all now.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Needs a big price reduction first and hopefully by then it will have more then two games worthy of trying out.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not, it was out-of-date as soon as it launched, and until the first-party cavalcade comes out, I wouldn't even consider it. And even then, I don't know about you (my dear fellow internet-user), but another Mario simply wouldn't do it for me, however good it was. All the attention will be on Microsoft vs Sony and the crazy deals they're pulling to one-up each other with the third parties. I just hope that developers remember the Wii U exists in 12 months time, for all the people (okay, not that many) who have bought one.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mikey87144

@magzine: We do know that the consoles will be significantly more powerful than the Wii-U. We also know that devs are more excited to develop for those than the Wii-U which is just a slightly supped up 360 at the end of the day.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I would only recommend it if you never had a Wii. I just bought mine a few days ago and I'm enjoying a lot of the Wii games I missed. It's bound to run dry for Wii games soon and also there are 0 games that I like on the Wii U.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to buy one eventually, but I'm not seeing a huge incentive. I wouldn't mind playing Zombi U, but yeah, that's a lot of money for one game.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A week ago I decided to buy one, along with Lego City Undercover. I'm having a ton of fun with that game, but once I finish, and screw around with Nintendo Land a bit, I'm not sure what to do with it. I might check out the Monster Hunter or Zombi U demo and see if either of those appeal to me.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If there's currently games on it that you want to play, then yes.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BionicRadd

I have a simple litmus test for buying new consoles. I look at the games lineup and find 5 games that I want and that I can only play on that console (or that are the best version of said game). Then I decide how badly I want to play those games. Basically, I don't buy consoles, I buy games. Consoles are merely a means to an end.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought a Wii. I live a generation behind with Nintendo because I don't feel the price of a new console is worth the amount of games I actually want to play on them

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to buy a Wii U as well, but I am going to wait. The library of games isn't that big and the games I would want aren't out yet or haven't even been announced. I will get it eventually when the Mario, Zelda, Metroid games start coming out. I'm sure by then we'll have seen a price drop for the console.

link2link8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say wait, from having buy one now is a bad idea considering there's not many games so far worth getting right away, I say wait til E3 comes along and until more games come out, that and a possible price drop soon.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you live with someone else? Do you share a TV? If yes then the WiiU is hugely worthwhile. Most of my gaming time since getting one has been on the wiiU purely because I don't have to feel bad taking up the telly.

There is now a reasonable launch size library, but is admittedly dependent on your taste.

NSMBU is a fantastic 2D Mario if you still like that sort of thing. Nintendoland is solid but really exists for when you have a group of people around (why the fuck the didn't do online leaderboards...). Little Inferno was interesting but comparatively expensive. Trine2 works nice with the touchscreen. Knowing it was coming out for the WiiU I skipped ACIII on the 360, good port but poor multiplayer community. MH3U will be one of my top games of the year (80+ hours since release so far) but really a matter of taste. The Rayman Legends challenge app is going to be a good occasional burn until the gits finally release the proper game.

That's just he one's I currently own.

But yeah, if the first point doesn't apply to you, wait until there's enough games you want. I'll always go for a Nintendo console supplemented by one of the other two once they drop in price, there's always experiences that are so different to what's out there in the high end consoles. (bloody hell I've rambled on)

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought one and I still voted no. The controller is really interesting and seems nice but the games just are not there. Flinging Netflix between the gamepad and TV is a cool thing but I don't have much use case for it.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought one exclusively for MH3U, am enjoying Kirby (Currently $0.30 on the eShop), and looking forward to grabbing Super Metroid for the same price, but I would not recommend buying a Wii U unless there are enough games out right now that you want to play as soon as possible. I am just too crazy about MH to not do it. Took me a couple months, but I got there. I've done the same thing for the PSP in the past. In fact, the only non MH game for PSP I have played is Valkyria Chronicles.

Definitely wait for holiday or until a few games you want come out.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hughesman

I don't think I've ever been as uninterested in a console in my entire life. I really hope they figure it out but man, i just don't know how.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By handlas

Nah. I got one. People bash the Vita for having no games (pretty untrue... there is a fairly consistent stream of fun games). The Wii U is exactly that. There is nothing. It's a barren wasteland since it came out. What has been released? Monster Hunter which is just a better version of the Wii game. It's pretty ridiculous really.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was one for 250 on Amazon a few weeks ago that I snatched up. I've basically only been using it to play New Super Mario Bros U with my buddies, but that's fine for now. If there's nothing that you need to play right away, then maybe wait until how you feel after e3. But if you have the money now and you don't mind waiting for some new games I'd say go for it. I don't need to play my system every day in order to feel like it was a worthwhile purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.