Your Wii Games Won't Be Upscaled On Wii U

• 114 results
#51 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

Just another reason for Nintendo to make money selling HD versions of WII games, i.e. Mario Galaxy

Ugh.

#52 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@Phoenix87 said:
First no Gamecube and now this. Wii U is turning into F U.
ohohoho good one
#53 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Not a problem.

#54 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
Jesus christ, most of you people don't even play Wii games, stop acting like it's a problem. 
The issue is that it should be there. The Dolphin emulator can play gamecube and Wii games in HD. Why can't Nintendos HD console?
#55 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

I dunno. My burning desire to replay Wii games (in HD or not) probably won't kick in for several years, by which point the inevitable HD re-releases for Wii U will be available second-hand, dirt cheap. I barely have enough time to stay on top of the awesome new games coming out all the time, let alone the games I already own and haven't yet played.

Put me in the "don't get why this is an issue" camp.

#56 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@Black_Rose said:
Jesus christ, most of you people don't even play Wii games, stop acting like it's a problem.
The issue is that it should be there. The Dolphin emulator can play gamecube and Wii games in HD. Why can't Nintendos HD console?

To keep costs down. I'm sure Nintendo would like their new console to be priced around $299/US or lower at launch. The PS3 took away their whole catalog of PS2 games when they released a less expensive version of the PS3.

#57 Posted by adamazing (78 posts) -

Super sad face...
#58 Posted by Phenwah (52 posts) -

The PS3 doesn't upscale PS1 or PS2 games; I don't know why people were expecting any different of the new Wii.

#59 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Desperately needing to replay Super Mario Galaxy in HD is like desperately needing to replay Infocom text adventures with truetype fonts.

/me dons flame-retardant suit

#60 Posted by Skooky (473 posts) -

Let's pretend that this matters.

#61 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2564 posts) -

@Black_Rose said:

True, nobody should buy a Wii U, so why complain about it....thanks

#62 Posted by MeatSim (10765 posts) -

A Super Mario Galaxy HD collection seems possible now.

#63 Posted by zumicroom (6 posts) -

somehow i'm not surprised at all by this.

#64 Posted by DeF (4799 posts) -

@Phenwah said:

The PS3 doesn't upscale PS1 or PS2 games; I don't know why people were expecting any different of the new Wii.

not to the point that makes them look like the proper HD remakes (as in God of War/Team Ico collection) but the PS3 makes PSX/PS2 games look a little nicer.

#65 Posted by Caegn (69 posts) -
@hturan said:
C'mon people, get some sense. Not even the most powerful PC out today can handle the Wii library at 100%. Even with low-level knowledge of Wii hardware it would take years to emulate and check every Wii release.
While it's true that not EVERY game is running right on Dolphin, most of the biggest ones have been prioritized and optimized.  I can run Galaxy 2 in 1080 in 3d and never see a drop below 60 fps.  Granted that's on a intel 2600k, but still, that's the game running at 1080 twice.  (3D requires the game to be rendered twice, one for each eye.)

And most of the glitches that do occur on some games are programming side.  Not graphic uprendering side.  Problems emulating the OS not the scaling.  With the programming already included in the new system, the graphic uprendering would actually be one of the easier things to put in.  (As long as the hardware can handle it, which since the Wii games have less polys and smaller textures than the new games will, should be no problem.)

I agree with most people here, it's just about money.  And I don't really blame Nintendo.  I know the first thing I'd do, if I were the average wii owner, is to replay all my old games to see what they look like.  Which could be dozens or even hundreds of hours, depending on the gamer.  Hours which could be spent on new(ly purchased) games.
#66 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Scarlet_Rogue said:

No gamecube games and no upscaling. I'm sure someone's said this before, but apparently the U in Wii U stands for useless.

You mean all it does is play new games? Yeah that's useless. You trolls are pretty pathetic. Especially people aligned with Sony, saying shit like this with a straight face and no sense of irony.
#67 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I grew up loving Nintendo. Sadly, those days are long gone.

#68 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

2 things: I find it good that they're addressing Wii backwards-compatibility across the board, at least. XBOX->XBOX360 compatibility on a title-by-title basis over the course of years, with some original Xbox titles *still* left in the cold left a far worse taste in my mouth

How many people even know that Wii discs have higher quality assets on them to even begin caring about it, and (pardon my ignorance) how many discs even have those assets in the first place?

In other words, is it really that unreasonable, and worth their effort to make this happen?

#69 Posted by DavoTron (148 posts) -

Won't being plugged in via HDMI make it look better anyway? OR AM I TALKIN' JACK

#70 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

People care?

It's not as if people are going to buy this crap right?

#71 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

This is killing me, killing me! I have stacks of unopened Wii game as I desperately clung to the hope that an upscaling Wii HD would release...and here we are. BLEH.

#72 Posted by Pandasaurus (115 posts) -

@n8: don't you mean WiiK?

#73 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@DavoTron said:
Won't being plugged in via HDMI make it look better anyway? OR AM I TALKIN' JACK
In theory, yes, as HDMI is digital while component is analog, but that's a difference that is so tiny you need a magnifying glass to see it.
#74 Posted by shiftplusone (48 posts) -

My desire for this system was" if it upscales wii games I'm getting it no matter what"

That's all I wanted from it

Oh well

#75 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@UnsolvedParadox said:

This is killing me, killing me! I have stacks of unopened Wii game as I desperately clung to the hope that an upscaling Wii HD would release...and here we are. BLEH.

@shiftplusone said:
My desire for this system was" if it upscales wii games I'm getting it no matter what" That's all I wanted from it Oh well
This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read. Someone teach these special eds how to use an emulator so they'll stop sulking.
#76 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

That sucks. But knowing Nintendo I didn't expect them to think of putting it in.

#77 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

Lame.

#78 Edited by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Missed opportunity. A good deal of Wii games look excellent in 720p when emulated. I was hoping Nintendo would provide an official means of doing this instead of people having to resort to PC emulators.

#79 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Oh well, Goodbye Nintendo Wii....

#80 Posted by pot (68 posts) -

If people don't properly genuflect before Wii U the resident apologist starts with the mean spirited personal attacks.

#81 Posted by Grilledsasquatch (2 posts) -

Eh, that sucks. Ghost Squad would've looked sexy upscaled in HD :o)

#82 Posted by chickdigger802 (501 posts) -

funny how everyone is whining. At least the system has backwards compatibility unlike all the other systems. One thing that nintendo excels at, emulation. Virtual Console emulation is near flawless.

I'm pretty sure nintendo could if they wanted to but it's such a shitty business decision.

Spend X amount of time and money to get this feature so that people can go pick up wii games from gamestop used games bin?

#83 Posted by JasonR86 (9608 posts) -

Ahhhhh fuck!

#84 Posted by NYHorn36 (34 posts) -

This doesn't bother me at all for some reason.

#85 Posted by Matterman (15 posts) -
@NYHorn36 said:
This doesn't bother me at all for some reason.
Really? It would be so easy to do.
#86 Posted by Devildoll (877 posts) -

i think its strange that reggie told geoff keighley that wii games are made with assets that dont scale up .

just look at any youtube video of someone playing a wii game on an emulator , stuff looks like its able to scale up to higher resolutions.

and they look pretty sweet compared to what they look when you run them on a wii.

#87 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Devildoll said:

i think its strange that reggie told geoff keighley that wii games are made with assets that dont scale up .

just look at any youtube video of someone playing a wii game on an emulator , stuff looks like its able to scale up to higher resolutions.

and they look pretty sweet compared to what they look when you run them on a wii.

That's the thing, if you want to play games for free in HD from the Wii that option is there. Why should Nintendo pay to put it in their new console? Thanks.

#88 Edited by Devildoll (877 posts) -

@Claude:

well , the casual part of the wii audience are probably not aware of the possibility of running wii games on a pc , or capable of setting that stuff up.

i haven't read up on this, but I'd guess Nintendo doesn't really want wii emulators to exist. nor condone the use of them.

its probably going to cost some to develop it. but i think that would be money well spent.

guys doing emulators know their stuff for sure , but they usually don't have the access or complete knowledge of how the wii and its games work.

Nintendo engineers on the other hand, who are artisans at this , shouldn't have any trouble pulling this off.

they should be able to pull of software emulation much more efficiently than on pc. granted , they have a lower amount of horsepower to work with.

but unless the architecture too different , they should be okay.

i'd say that that would increase the value of a Wii u more than a little.

but the thing i reacted most to was that Reggie said that wii games assets are not of a higher fidelity than what is displayed on the wii.

when that is clearly not the case , at least not for all wii games.

#89 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

@Devildoll: Most of the Wii audience, much like me, don't care. Those things look fine in 480p.

#90 Edited by NTM (7263 posts) -

That's certainly not good news, but I I really don't care all that much. As long as they have great games to come along on it I'll be fine. I'm most excited to see what these new exclusive Nintendo games will look like. Link, Mario, and Samus in the detail of something like Marcus Fenix, Nathan Drake, and/or Kratos would be a neat thing to see. Starting with the Wii, they kind of brought on a lot of new but needless accessories and tried to win people over with all the new tech, and I wasn't and am still not into that. I'm all for innovation, but when they bring so much into it that it starts getting into an area where it's not all about the gaming experience but more, I'm out.

#91 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Would it really be that easy to do? I mean, how long did Dolphin take to get playable? I remember the first couple of times I tried it, before there was a flood of youtube videos of SMG, and there was serious jank for the first few months. The Nintendo devs would have to rebuild the emulation stuff from scratch, I bet, and if it made it into a mass market product, they'd want it to work 100% for every game you could use it with. That doesn't sound easy to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

#92 Posted by pot (68 posts) -
@chickdigger802 said:

funny how everyone is whining. At least the system has backwards compatibility unlike all the other systems. One thing that nintendo excels at, emulation. Virtual Console emulation is near flawless.

I'm pretty sure nintendo could if they wanted to but it's such a shitty business decision.

Spend X amount of time and money to get this feature so that people can go pick up wii games from gamestop used games bin?

Huh? 360 still has "backwards compatibility" for its last system. So no, not "unlike all the other systems".
#93 Edited by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@pot: You obviously didn't go from an xbox with an extensive library to an xbox 360. Even the stuff I have that "works" (eg. SSX 3) is glitchy enough that Nintendo would never allow that to ship as "backwards compatible".

PS. According to wikipedia, about 51% of xbox games are playable on the 360, and in my experience, that's about right.

#94 Posted by rmanthorp (3875 posts) -

Weird that Dolphin can but oh well...

Moderator Online
#95 Edited by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

So the best Nintendo console is still a PC? 

Seriously. Mario Galaxy in "HD" looks freaking amazing.

#96 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@pot: But, even though I disagree with the example you used, I will still agree with the specific point you were making, that not all other consoles have dropped the ball on backwards compatibility. Ironically, the best example I have in my house is the Wii itself. I still can't believe they've got those semi-hidden gamecube controller ports in there, and all the gamecube discs I've seen play totally fine....so there you go. We should expect at least "faithful" backwards compatibility between the Wii and Wii U.

#97 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Well this sucks :/

#98 Posted by BenLaserlove (47 posts) -

Uh, guys. There's a difference between enhancing Wii games through a reverse-engineered emulator, and just playing the same game through similar processors.

#99 Posted by blaakmawf (543 posts) -

Lame.

#100 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

That kinda sucks, I thought I heard those Wii games were made at higher res and lowered on the Wii. This seems like an attempt from Nintendo to cash in on people's need for HD games, if so they better be full HD and maybe controls that give players the option to play dual analogue controls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.