Must play Wii games

#1 Posted by SneakyPenguins (232 posts) -

So last weekend I got a Wii from my girlfriends parents house, and I am now playing through every game that is a must play on the Wii. Looking for suggestions.

so far my list is this

what games am I missing?

#2 Edited by believer258 (11062 posts) -

You don't have Metroid Prime Trilogy on there.

EDIT: WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE SUGGESTING METROID PRIME!?

(I'm kidding, but seriously. Play Metroid Prime. The first is runner-up for "best game EVER").

#3 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

Depends on what kind of games you're into I suppose. I'd personally include Xenoblade and Last Story there, as well as Zack & Wiki. Again, depending on what you're into, Sin & Punishment, Muramasa, and Little King's Story are also great.

Oh and Monster Hunter Tri, but I'm crazy and nobody likes Monster Hunter I guess.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (34653 posts) -

Man, I miss the days when would see this thread and yell "FRAGILE DREAMS [stupid thing]".

#5 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Little Kings Story, de Blob, A Boy and his Blob.

#6 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Man, I miss the days when would see this thread and yell "FRAGILE DREAMS [stupid thing]".

That's definitely a fantastic but taste-specific game, but hey since you brought it up. FRAGILE DREAMS: FAREWELL RUINS TO THE MOON. Pretty slow paced, but incredibly rewarding.

#7 Posted by Vextroid (1317 posts) -

Punch-Out!! definitely.

#9 Posted by Getz (2955 posts) -
#10 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -
#11 Posted by SneakyPenguins (232 posts) -

this is awesome thanks guy. no more heroes was already on my list just forgot it.

#12 Posted by Molenator85 (206 posts) -

If you've never played Resident Evil 4, the Wii version is my favorite.

#13 Posted by csl316 (7385 posts) -

Sin and Punishment 2 was pretty neat.

#14 Posted by blessey (20 posts) -

I would add Endless Ocean : Blue World to the list if you don't mind slower gaming.

And if you're in North America or Japan, the best racing game is Excitebots : Trick Racing. Don't know if the online is still active though, haven't played in a while.

And I also gives thumbs up to A boy and his blob.

#15 Edited by knitlife (45 posts) -
#16 Edited by Cubidog1 (211 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda games are amazing and lengthy. Super Mario Galaxy 2 after you beat the 1st Galaxy. Punch Out is pretty fun but is also challenging. Xenoblade Chronicles is a great rpg, plus you could play it for 100+ hours. Monster Hunter Tri is lengthy, and also has kick ass co-op. Monster Hunter Tri and Xenoblade Chronicles are probably the lengthiest games on the Wii, and both are worth whatever you have to pay. Also, for Monster Hunter Tri make sure you use a classic controller, the regular wiimote doesn't control well.

#17 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2953 posts) -

Gonna recommend Monster Hunter Tri, because the underwater battles are all kinds of fun. I also didn't have much trouble controlling it with the Wiimote- in fact, I kind of enjoyed it more than a normal control.

Also gonna say that if you like No More Heroes, you should probably also give Mad World a shot. Blood and violence, High-Scores for inventive and Rasputinian henchman-murder, and some great announcers.

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles should be kind of a no-brainer. It's a long game, though, so maybe skimp on a few of those side-quests, unless you absolutely have to complete everything.

#18 Posted by believer258 (11062 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Did he get banned or did he just up and leave?

#19 Edited by EthanML (444 posts) -

This was sort of a depressing read, after all these years I can't believe those are the Wii's dream-lists =p

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (34653 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

He was banned. Sweep said as much.

NEVER FORGET
#21 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -
  • Boom Blox Bash Party
  • A Boy and His Blob
  • Cursed Mountain
  • Dead Space: Extraction
  • Deadly Creatures
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
  • The Last Story
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Little King's Story
  • MadWorld
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  • NBA Jam
  • New Play Control: Pikmin
  • New Play Control: Pikmin 2
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Punch Out!!
  • Red Steel 2
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
  • A Shadow's Tale (EU) / Lost in Shadow (US)
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  • Sin & Punishment 2: Successor of the Skies
  • Wario Land: Shake It!
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

WiiWare:

• And Yet It Moves
  • Hydroventure (EU) / Fluidity (US)
  • Lost Winds: Winter of the Melodias
  • NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
  • World of Goo
#22 Posted by evanbower (1206 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Trauma Team, Fragile Dreams, Muramasa, Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, Phantom Brave: We Meet Again, and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

#23 Posted by Snail (8477 posts) -

@DeF: Seems like a great list of games, but you named some non-exclusives.

#24 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -

@Snail said:

Those that are not exclusive on that list are best in their Wii incarnation, though.

#25 Posted by Snail (8477 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Snail said:

Those that are not exclusive on that list are best in their Wii incarnation, though.

NBA Jam?

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Silent hill: shattered memories

#27 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -

@Snail said:

@DeF said:

@Snail said:

NBA Jam?

Okay, forgot that one.

#28 Edited by BisonHero (5688 posts) -

If you want to try out the handful of games that actually get motion controls right:

And that's about it, aside from the pack-in Wii Sports.

Aside from motion control games, people have already mentioned most of the good stuff, though I'll add and reiterate a couple more:

• Mario Strikers Charged, which is probably the best Mario sports game made this generation (which I guess is an easy category to win because they're doing less of them compared to the Gamecube generation, and that Mario Sports Mix was complete garbage). Anyway, it's a soccer game that actually plays way more like hockey, in that the field is quite small and has walls, and you can body check the fuck out of everyone, and it's 4v4 + goalies. It's balanced in some really interesting ways, like if you body check someone who doesn't have possession of the ball, the team being checked gets an item (shells, mushrooms, super stars, etc.). Also it has super items unique to each captain, like Bowser breathing fire, Mario becoming 40 feet tall and crushing people, Wario farting. And Nintendo oddly gave the developers the freedom to make a badass version of the Mario universe where everything is hilariously heavy metal and everyone wears battle armour. Here is a Penny Arcade comic that nicely encapsulates why the game is great.
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. It's a pretty crazy shooter, and is just the kind of quality I expect from Treasure. Don't expect to get much out of the story, as they cut a bunch of stuff out when they localized it so it's nearly incomprehensible, but find a friend to play this with so you can enjoy the insane spectacle with somebody else. The game is a pretty good challenge too. While you're at it, check out the original Sin & Punishment on the Wii's Virtual Console, which I feel like is actually a little bit awesomer than the sequel, because there are a couple particular stages in that game that are absolutely nuts.

@Getz said:

@Daneian said:

Rhythm Heaven Fever

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

Muramasa: The Demon's Blade

This guy pretty much stole my list. I would also add the Bit.Trip games, though they are on other consoles now.

No More Heroes 1 is the more worthwhile experience. The writing is leagues better, by which I mean No More Heroes 2 has completely soulless boss fights (half the bosses literally don't speak) and the overall story isn't as funny, and is a much weaker satire compared to the brilliant satire in the first game. I hate that they brought back 2 bosses, which just felt desperate/lazy; I saw people being pleased that they finally got to fight Letz Shake, but those people are fucking idiots, because the whole reason that character was awesome was that you didn't ever fight him and it was this hilarious anticlimax. And they honestly didn't improve the gameplay systems THAT much in the second game; both games are fairly mashy in the combat, and the boss fights are the only things that require thought.

I honestly think the first game is just so much better than the sequel in almost every possible way.

#29 Posted by glacialhelmnun (42 posts) -

Don''t waste your money or time on Epic Mickey, there is literally nothing redeeming about it.

#30 Posted by BisonHero (5688 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad: @DeF: I don't get why people are still listing off MadWorld as a game that people should check out. Yes, before release, it seemed like it was shaping up to be a legitimately good Wii game for "hardcore" gamers, but the game ended up being a chore to play with a terrible, barely existent story. The game has tons of visual style to it, and some of the boss designs/naming are awesome, but a lot of the commentary gets old pretty quick. And they reskin the fuck out of the standard enemies and recycle them in every stage, and the game only has 10 levels that take 30 minutes each (which you'll probably never have to reattempt). The whole game just felt like a failed experiment that was too light on content and too lacking in gameplay/scoring depth.

It's easily the weakest game that PlatinumGames has made (though on a similar note, I've heard that the Japanese reception to Anarchy Reigns hasn't been particularly great).

#31 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Make_Me_Mad: @DeF: I don't get why people are still listing off MadWorld as a game that people should check out. Yes, before release, it seemed like it was shaping up to be a legitimately good Wii game for "hardcore" gamers, but the game ended up being a chore to play with a terrible, barely existent story. The game has tons of visual style to it, and some of the boss designs/naming are awesome, but a lot of the commentary gets old pretty quick. And they reskin the fuck out of the standard enemies and recycle them in every stage, and the game only has 10 levels that take 30 minutes each (which you'll probably never have to reattempt). The whole game just felt like a failed experiment that was too light on content and too lacking in gameplay/scoring depth.

It's easily the weakest game that PlatinumGames has made (though on a similar note, I've heard that the Japanese reception to Anarchy Reigns hasn't been particularly great).

Since you can go bargain bin fishing and grab the game for a song it's easily worth the 5-10 bucks.

@glacialhelmnun said:

Don''t waste your money or time on Epic Mickey, there is literally nothing redeeming about it.

You're totally exaggerating. The choices it offers you are totally worth it along with checking out the world. It may not have lived up to expectations but you're making it out sound like the biggest piece of trash ever.

#32 Posted by BisonHero (5688 posts) -

@DeF: Fair point. I admit my opinion is tinged by the fact that I paid full price for MadWorld because some reviews at the time were more positive about the game than I think they should have been. So sure, 5-10 bucks is the right price for it, but even then, the game is BARELY worth the 5-8 hours it takes to play. I guess it's worth it to see the boss fights, but depending on how much free time this guy has, there are so many other Wii games in this thread that should take priority.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@SneakyPenguins:

Muramasa

Okami

DeBlob

Lost Winds 1 and 2

NyxQuest

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Zack and Wiki

No More Heroes 1 and 2

#34 Edited by JasonR86 (9381 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

NEVER FORGET

@believer258 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

He was banned. Sweep said as much.

Why? Jay was crazy but I don't think he did anything worth being banned for.

#35 Posted by DeF (4695 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@DeF: Fair point. I admit my opinion is tinged by the fact that I paid full price for MadWorld because some reviews at the time were more positive about the game than I think they should have been. So sure, 5-10 bucks is the right price for it, but even then, the game is BARELY worth the 5-8 hours it takes to play. I guess it's worth it to see the boss fights, but depending on how much free time this guy has, there are so many other Wii games in this thread that should take priority.

Agreed, it should definitely not be a priority by any means!

#36 Posted by Daneian (1172 posts) -

@BisonHero: I didn't play NMH 1 because of how soul sucking I heard the open world stuff is, but enjoyed 2 enough to give it a shot. I thought the 8-bit games that took its place were great because of how authentic they are to the era. I realized that Desperate Struggle is really a descendant of their design trapped in a 3D world and is pretty angry about it.

The Charlie MacDonald fight is brilliant in theory because it gives you a giant mech power fantasy that is a clunky, awkward mess to control. Just like I imagine a real mech would be.

#37 Posted by Video_Game_King (34653 posts) -

@JasonR86:

Maybe it was so people would stop associating him with Fist of the North Star (and, thus, the reverse).

#38 Posted by Wertt (46 posts) -

@Molenator85 said:

If you've never played Resident Evil 4, the Wii version is my favorite.

I endorse this. RE4 with the Wii controls is satisfying, involving, and one of my most memorable gaming experiences

#39 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

I don't think Donkey Kong Country Returns was mentioned so I'll throw that one out there.

#40 Posted by BisonHero (5688 posts) -

@Daneian said:

@BisonHero: I didn't play NMH 1 because of how soul sucking I heard the open world stuff is, but enjoyed 2 enough to give it a shot. I thought the 8-bit games that took its place were great because of how authentic they are to the era. I realized that Desperate Struggle is really a descendant of their design trapped in a 3D world and is pretty angry about it.

The Charlie MacDonald fight is brilliant in theory because it gives you a giant mech power fantasy that is a clunky, awkward mess to control. Just like I imagine a real mech would be.

True, but that mech sequence is honestly the highlight of the game for me, and you get to it within the first like 2 hours of the game. You can pretty much stop playing after seeing it. OK, well, you should keep playing until the slot machine lets you turn into a tiger. Then you should stop playing.

Come to think of it, I think they saw both of those things in the Quick Look, and it probably gave people a better impression of the game than it deserved.

#41 Posted by JaredA (806 posts) -

Fragile Dreams and Resident Evil 4.

#42 Posted by Snail (8477 posts) -

@Dalai said:

I don't think Donkey Kong Country Returns was mentioned so I'll throw that one out there.

He already has that in his list.

#43 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (2953 posts) -

@BisonHero: I listed it because I enjoyed it, myself. I liked the music, liked the humor for the most part, and can appreciate any game where using a chainsaw to bisect someone is the lazy thing to do. I'll admit that some of the stages and bosses could definitely do with some improvement, but since it's so cheap and so easy to blast through quickly, it's worth a recommendation now. It probably is the weakest of the Platinum catalogue, though... If only Bayonetta were on the Wii.

#44 Posted by Dalai (6882 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Dalai said:

He already has that in his list.

So that explains why nobody mentioned it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.