Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

75 Million Units Worldwide - Three Times Faster Than PS2

• 76 results
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Dalai
    @Karmum said:
    " Bullshit. Sorry, but didn't they say it was around 56 million back in late September?  Not happening, there is NO WAY you're selling 20 million in two and a half months. Yes, I know the Wii is a sales monstrosity, but you aren't selling that much in that small span. Regardless of what it is at now, it isn't 75 million worldwide. Whatever it's at, it's an incredible pace, but not 75 million.  I'm sorry, but I'm not buying what this dude is saying. I think it will be at 75 million very, very, soon, but it's not there right now. Probably in the 60 million range. "
    This.  That 75 million number is overly inflated.  We'll see what the real numbers are once the official numbers come in.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By Siphillis
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @02sfraser said:
    " i love the Wii. i got Zombies of Virtual console last week. so good and i think it is the only console that can top PS2 minus the DS "
    PS2 had the best library of games last console cycle. The wii better stop getting shovel ware titles if it hopes to do that.   "
    Why bother?  What do soccer moms and seniors in nursing homes care about solid third-party support, or first party for that matter?  "Does it play the Wii Sports?"
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By Al3xand3r

Maybe it's shipping numbers as Sony is used to claiming. I saw somewhere the Wii is closer to PS1 than PS2 sales, though it started with the PS2 momentum, and it will probably get closer to that again during the holidays. But yeah no way three times as much.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Siphillis
    @ThomasP said:
    " @Halberdierv2 said:
    " well, this little white box is the bane of gamers, and the cash cow of nintendo to the casual market. dont worry, when the casual gaming fever wears off, theyll start making good games again. "
    It's not going to wear off. In fact, Microsoft and Sony are trying to scrape up the leftovers with their own iteration of motion control and games geared towards younger and older audiences. Nintendo changed the game... again. While the casual gaming audience continues to grow, Nintendo will continue to release quality titles like they always have. "
    Quality titles have always been Nintendo's forte, but game development on all levels has grown more expensive and time-consuming, so the great games in the future are going to get spaced apart even further.  I have only bought one game for Wii each year since 2006; only three exclusives are worth purchasing: Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime Trilogy.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    Maybe it's shipping numbers as Sony is used to claiming.
    It's more likely either the France CEO was just blabbing nonsense or he was interpreted wrong, or the article writer is just full of shit.  Remember Nintendo of Japan isn't even saying the 75 million number is true.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By Red
    @CitizenKane said:
    " New Moon broke the single day grossing record.  Just sayin'. "
    In other words, society doesn't care about the quality of something, they just care about it being popular.
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Siphillis
    @Red said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " New Moon broke the single day grossing record.  Just sayin'. "
    In other words, society doesn't care about the quality of something, they just care about it being popular. "
    in other words, fuck art.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Willy105
    @MysteriousBob said:

" Oh God, this is tragic. I've never heard of a machine selling based on good marketing alone. There's no good software for the thing save for five or six quality titles like Zelda. All the people I know who aren't into games yet bought a Wii got sick of it within a week. Its a fad- it'll end soon enough. "

Contrary to your belief, the Wii sold for it's games. It's Wii series of games in fact. Nintendo hasn't really marketed the console after it launched. It has been selling only on word of mouth alone. Wii Sports was a bigger killer app than any other launch title, probably rivaling Tetris for Game Boy.

@Bones8677 said:
    " @02sfraser said:
    " i love the Wii. i got Zombies of Virtual console last week. so good and i think it is the only console that can top PS2 minus the DS "
    PS2 had the best library of games last console cycle. The wii better stop getting shovel ware titles if it hopes to do that.   "

Well, to be fair, a lot of criticisms toward the first two Playstations were it's pagan amounts of shovelware released. I remember, because I was one of the people saying it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By Claude

As much as I like my Wii, it will never reach the numbers of the PS2. As for games, the Wii plays what I like, so it's passed my favorite console of all time the PS2. I can't wait for the future, motion controls and golf go hand in hand. It's a good time to love video games.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By rjayb89

I sure love that Everybody Votes channel.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Willy105
    @rjayb89 said:
    " I sure love that Everybody Votes channel. "
    Has it changed much? Because it's my least used channel I have.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rjayb89
    @Willy105: Unfortunately, no.  Not that that's a bad thing.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By Meowayne

DOUBLESHOCK, Titus:  Why do you think the highly rated Wii games are inferior to the highly rated games on other consoles? How many Wii games did you play after the disappointing line-up three years ago?

C0V3RT: Clearly the third party output has been superior to first party output in the last two years. You should look deeper into it.

Siphillis: The Wii has by far the best and most highly rated third party support of any Nintendo console save the DS. Why do you consider games like DeBlob, Little King's Story, LostWinds, Extraction, A Boy And His Blob, Rune Factory, Zack&Wiki or Fire Emblem not exclusives "worth purchasing"?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Meowayne said:
    "  Oh, and before anyone goes: "Hurr hurr, I wonder how many of those are partygames and minigame compilations!1", the answer is:  5.   "
    so than show me the list of 65 cool games bro...
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @dbz1995 said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Too bad it doesn't have 1/3 the quality games PS2 did. "
    IMO, none of the new-generation consoles do. "
    the new playstation definitely does. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By HandsomeDead

Let's all give ourselves a well deserved pat on the back.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By tebbit

Anyone who says the Wii has no good games is a damn fool. 

Anyone who says the Wii has a LOT of good games is also a damn fool.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DystopiaX

any time you mention two consoles in the same sentence on a video game forum the console war will inevitably erupt...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Meowayne
    @Tebbit said:

" Anyone who says the Wii has no good games is a damn fool.  Anyone who says the Wii has a LOT of good games is also a damn fool. "

Define "a lot". I played some 50-60 Wii games, at least two thirds of which I thoroughly enjoyed. I estimate the lowest number of Wii games any given gamer would be able to happily own for the console at at least 15 (if they were having an unbiased and complete look at what's available), and the highest at about 40. which I think is "a lot" for a three-year-old platform. It's less than what the 360 and PS3 are putting out - Just so that we understand one another - but it's still "a lot".
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Meowayne

To name a few examples, Fragstoff, get Extraction, Rune Factory, Dawn of Discovery, A Boy And His Blob, LostWinds2, Boom Blox 2, Little King's Story, Swords&Soldiers, Nyxquest, DeBlob, Muramasa, Wii Sports Resort or Metroid Prime Trilogy. There are plenty of titles all over the place, you just have to open your eyes and look past the hype machine.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Tebbit said:
    " Anyone who says the Wii has no good games is a damn fool.  Anyone who says the Wii has a LOT of good games is also a damn fool. "

I go with this opinion.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Emilio

Man, that's a lot of of consoles!!  
     But what can you expect, this is Nintendo's industry. Sony and Microsoft are just in for the ride... (not saying PS3 and 360 suck and such, just sayin')

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#73  Edited By Cube
    @Emilio said:
    " Man, that's a lot of of consoles!!   But what can you expect, this is Nintendo's industry. Sony and Microsoft are just in for the ride... (not saying PS3 and 360 suck and such, just sayin') "
    Nintendo's industry? It hasn't been Nintendo's industry since the SNES.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Diamond
    @Cube said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " Man, that's a lot of of consoles!!   But what can you expect, this is Nintendo's industry. Sony and Microsoft are just in for the ride... (not saying PS3 and 360 suck and such, just sayin') "
    Nintendo's industry? It hasn't been Nintendo's industry since the SNES. "
    I think he's trying to say Nintendo is a videogame company while MS and Sony do other things as well, but that's not true.  Nintendo is by definition a toy company, and they still make non-videogame products (mostly in Japan).
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Linkyshinks

Making videogames is by far the bulk of Nintendo's business and revenue in the modern age. Nintendo's toys in Japan are few and far between. They sell video game merchandise for the most part. They also license other toy makers to make their products. They make revenue through licensing deals with far larger players in Japanese toy making market.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Oh that Wii. I'm thinking of getting one, but the idea that it is the perfect console for assisted living homes makes me shy away from it a little.

Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Haziqonfire
    @Linkyshinks:  
    Holy crap - that is ridiculous!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.