Any chance of the DS connecting to the Wii?

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

So we've had the GameBoy connecting to the Super Nintendo (and I think the Nintendo 64, I could be wrong). The GameBoy Advance connecting to the Gamecube. The PSP connecting to a TV by itself. Is there anything about the DS connecting to the Wii? 

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

Are you talking about playing DS games on a TV or games on Wii that connect with the DS?

#3 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

There is one game, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, where the Wii game and the DS game are essentially the same thing.  Your play the 2 screens side by side on your one television, but the controls on the Wii version are configured for the Wiimote.  In that sense, any DS game could be configured for the Wii, but it isn't about to happen.  If you were to play your DS games on the television through the Wii, using the DS as the controller, then there is the issue of looking at your DS whllst playing on the television - it would seem odd.

#4 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" There is one game, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, where the Wii game and the DS game are essentially the same thing.  Your play the 2 screens side by side on your one television, but the controls on the Wii version are configured for the Wiimote.  In that sense, any DS game could be configured for the Wii, but it isn't about to happen.  If you were to play your DS games on the television through the Wii, using the DS as the controller, then there is the issue of looking at your DS whllst playing on the television - it would seem odd. "
Well, how would you connect the DS and the Wii? I saw that there's also another Pokemon Battle game on the Wii and I know in the past that you can transfer your Pokemon from the handheld to the game. It would also be nice to play DS games on my TV also.
#5 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

That happens with Warioware DIY and Warioware Showcase. Go watch the quicklook for that, son. It's simple transference stuff, but you know you don't want something like Four Swords Adventures again

#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @oldschool said:
" There is one game, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time, where the Wii game and the DS game are essentially the same thing.  Your play the 2 screens side by side on your one television, but the controls on the Wii version are configured for the Wiimote.  In that sense, any DS game could be configured for the Wii, but it isn't about to happen.  If you were to play your DS games on the television through the Wii, using the DS as the controller, then there is the issue of looking at your DS whllst playing on the television - it would seem odd. "
Well, how would you connect the DS and the Wii? I saw that there's also another Pokemon Battle game on the Wii and I know in the past that you can transfer your Pokemon from the handheld to the game. It would also be nice to play DS games on my TV also. "
You would connect wirelessly, with the Wii and the DS talking to each other.  I would love to play my DS games on the 42" plasma as well, but it won't happen.
#7 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Romination: Yeah I tried that. It was pretty horrible. I just think they should continue what they've been doing with other consoles. Play the damn handheld on your television.
#8 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @Romination: Yeah I tried that. It was pretty horrible. I just think they should continue what they've been doing with other consoles. Play the damn handheld on your television. "
I had a blast with Four Swords Adventures on the Gamecube.  My daughters and I played it serious amounts.   What didn't you like about it?
#9 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
@oldschool: too many wires for the game boy connectivity.
And I don't have enough friends for it to have mattered
#10 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Romination: Yeah I tried that. It was pretty horrible. I just think they should continue what they've been doing with other consoles. Play the damn handheld on your television. "
I had a blast with Four Swords Adventures on the Gamecube.  My daughters and I played it serious amounts.   What didn't you like about it? "

Not everyone had the disposable income you have.  Most of us are either teenagers or college/university students.
#11 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Wii - has a Bluetooth module
DS - has a Bluetooth module

There are a couple of Wii & DS games that connect to the respective other console for additional functionality. You can also turn your Wii into a download station for DS Demos using the Nintendo channel.

No video output, though. And none planned, as far as we know.

#12 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

You can do something with Castlevania order of Ecclesia and Pokemon Battle Revolution, but beyond that I dont know.

#13 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Wii - has a Bluetooth module DS - has a Bluetooth module  There are a couple of Wii & DS games that connect to the respective other console for additional functionality. You can also turn your Wii into a download station for DS Demos using the Nintendo channel.  No video output, though. And none planned, as far as we know. "
The PS3 has a Bluetooth module.  PSP has a bluetooth module.  Don't you think they should connect with the DS and Wii?  I think so.
#14 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

From a hardware perspective, they could, yes. :D

#15 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Godwind said:
" @oldschool said:
" @ch13696 said:
I had a blast with Four Swords Adventures on the Gamecube.  My daughters and I played it serious amounts.   What didn't you like about it? "
 Not everyone had the disposable income you have.  Most of us are either teenagers or college/university students. "
True.  It was very much a game only for those who had all the cables.   That is a problem for any game that requires multiple connections.  It was a blast if you had the stuff though.
#16 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -
@Meowayne said:

" From a hardware perspective, they could, yes. :D "

I didn't think whether they could, whether they should or shouldn't.  

@oldschool said:

" @Godwind said:

" @oldschool said:
" @ch13696 said:
 Not everyone had the disposable income you have.  Most of us are either teenagers or college/university students. "
True.  It was very much a game only for those who had all the cables.   That is a problem for any game that requires multiple connections.  It was a blast if you had the stuff though. "
 I bought the game to test it out against it as a single player game.  Hope it works out for the best.
#17 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1869 posts) -

i suppose it might happen, but screen configuration might be a bit of an issue. you;ll most likely still need the DS to play, and it defeats the purpose, in a way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.