Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Anyone run a Wii on a power inverter during a road trip?

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Going on a road trip, I have one of those 7" LCD portable DVD players for the kids, plugged the Wii into it and it looks great on it, so I was thinking about taking it with us. Based on a few sites I've read, the Wii maxes out at less than 20W when gaming, so it seems like I could probably buy a decent power inverter and it would run fine. I have a 75W inverter right now, plugged it in and it came up without a problem, but I'd probably pick up like a 200-400W model if I do this.

Anyone else done this or have any advice. It actually looks like Gamestop used to sell an intverter for consoles, so I would imagine it's 100% doable, I just don't want to worry about burning out the electrical system in my car or anything.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@Krakn3Dfx: Better question is how are they going to be able to play anything in the cramped confines of a car on a wii?

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By crazyleaves
    @Demoskinos there are Wii games that you can play without flopping around like a maniac.
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Demoskinos said:

@Krakn3Dfx: Better question is how are they going to be able to play anything in the cramped confines of a car on a wii?

They'd probably just play Super Smash Bros Brawl, Donkey Kong Country, and New Super Mario Bros, games that don't require a lot of motion control BS.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By scottp

@Krakn3Dfx: good guy Greg would post this lol!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mushir

How 'bout buying them a book? If they get bored, they'll probably sleep. Seems like a win win situation to me.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Mushir said:

How 'bout buying them a book? If they get bored, they'll probably sleep. Seems like a win win situation to me.

He's got a Nook Simple Touch and he's burning through the Wheel of Time series. He'll be doing plenty of reading.

This was more of a "cool dad does this" kind of thing. It's not something I have to do, it's just something I want to be able to do if I can set it up properly.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@Krakn3Dfx: We did this with a PS3 on a camping trip fairly recently because we wanted to play Journey on drugs in some woods. Just make sure that you turn the engine on every 30 or so minutes and give it some revs just to keep the electrical systems juiced up.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I've been able to play my PS2, Gamecube, and Wii in a car using a converter. Used to have a mini Tv that we hooked up to the converter sometimes along with the consoles, and even a cell phone charger. The only thing that didn't work was my PS3 'cause duh. Haven't tried it on my 360. That was years ago when I would use it for that, like when the Wii was new. And my converter is a bit old and busted so it doesn't work quite as well as it used to. I don't remember how much power it put out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.