Are there actually any good games for the wii?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -

Im in two minds about buying a wii, I previously had one from launch and sold it just before christmas and made quite a hefty profit. now the black console is coming out im thinking of reinvesting in one but looking through my local game stores there seem to be very few games that actually appeal to me and they all seem a bit childish and tbh crap so i ask the question;  Are there actually any good games for the wi?

(please note i know there are a few such as mario galaxy, resi 4, metroid trilogy and the new super mario bros wii however i dont want to end up buying a console just to play a handful of games)

#2 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

I could list a couple of dozen great games for you, but first I want you to explain why "childish" is in any way an indicator of a game's quality and fun value.
Your achievement page reveals that you play a great diversity of games and genres. Why would you want to limit that on the Wii?

#3 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

There are a ton of good games for the Wii, but I don't think you should get one unless you considered yourself grown enough to play games in color.

#4 Posted by Vincenzo (140 posts) -

I'm hoping the new Mario Bros. is good. Comes out this weekend.

#6 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -

Some of my favorites; (Not including the ones you stated) 
Super Paper Mario
 No More Heroes 
Loz: TP 
Super Smash Bros Brawl 
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 
Muramasa: The Demon Blade 
Madworld 
#8 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy. One of the best game to come out in the last 5 years IMO.

#9 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
@ZmillA said:
" @Meowayne said:
" Try this. I did a metacritic search for Wii games with a score above 75, excluding the genres "Party", "Wrestling", and "Flying".

It gave me a list of 100 games. Why don't you have a look at them?

http://apps.metacritic.com/search/process.shtml?page=10&sid=MTI1ODEyOTc5MDY5Ni40NDYzMDQz&sb=5&metascore_s=75&game_platform=wii&ts=&game_genres=action&game_genres=adventure&game_genres=extreme+sports&game_genres=fighting&game_genres=first-person+shooter&game_genres=platform&game_genres=puzzle&game_genres=racing&game_genres=real-time+strategy&game_genres=role-playing+game&game_genres=simulation&game_genres=sports&game_genres=strategy&game_genres=third-person+shooter&game_genres=turn-based+strategy&game_genres=wargame&release_date_e=&release_date_s=&metascore_e=&y=8&ty=3&x=39&tfs=game_all "
I've found a lot of titles with "party" in the name, in that list "
That's curious, because you can actually filter searches to only come up with games that have "Party" in the title, and it only gives me two games out of these 100:

Tetris Party
Boom Blox Bash Party

Which are both excellent, excellent games. 

But thanks for trying!
#10 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 
World of Goo
Okami
Super Paper Mario

Upcoming:
Metroid: Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

I know you mentioned knowing about a lot of those games, but when listed out like that, I'd say those experiences would be worth a $150 console.

#11 Posted by yeahno (269 posts) -

...okamiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

#12 Posted by Jeust (10816 posts) -

Sten: No. 

Really? 

Sten: No. 

(don't mind me, just playing dragon age and suffering from tetris effect)
#13 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

There's a lot of great games for the Wii, but many of them are also available on other platforms. Sam and Max readily comes to mind here.

#14 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

I have a Wii that I've had for over two years and probably played less than 10 hours on it. I could not get over the controls in Galaxy, if you can it seems like a very well made game. Tiger Woods 10 was the last game I bought. It was fun for a couple days and then I kind of just forgot about it.

Chances are if you were a hardcore Nintendo fan with a lot of nostalgia towards their franchises you would have already bought a Wii at this point. Since you haven't I would probably say you would be fine to not pick up a Wii.

#15 Posted by Eder (444 posts) -

Well you can always consider any Gamecube games you never played, or the bunch of VC games. Like Lords of Thunder. I had never played that game and man its awesome! Since getting a Sega CD or TurboGraphix AND finding that game is almost impossible, Id say its a good deal. I have a Wii

#16 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -
@Cerza said:
" There's a lot of great games for the Wii, but many of them are also available on other platforms. Sam and Max readily comes to mind here. "
Yes, but the Wii also has the highest number of exclusives.
#17 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

Well just some of the more acclaimed games on the Wii are: Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, World of Goo, Okami, No More Heroes, Super Paper Mario, Madworld, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, The Beatles: Rock Band, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10, Punch-Out!, A Boy and His Blob, Dead Space Extraction, Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3. I would say the console has an ample collection of quality titles, as well as plenty of great downloadable titles from the yesteryears of Nintendo.

#18 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Get Zack & Wiki. It may be a bit childish-looking but it's a genuinely fun puzzle-adventure that shouldn't be missed.

#19 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

Mario Kart Wii is fantastic, especially if you have other people to play with.

#20 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

Little kings story 
Resident evil 4 and remake 
Madworld 
House of the dead:overkill 
Super smash bros brawl 
A boy and his blob 
Punch out 
Okami 
Muramasa: The demos blade 
Dead space extraction 
No more heroes 

#21 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -
@Meowayne: i suppose its my own fault that i see the games as childish because my stepbrother who is only 6 loves the wii and ive seen him play some truly awful games, animal crossing  and that sonic game spring to mind. a lot of the games availiable seem to rely too much on being bright and colourful and watered down so that they appeal to younger audiences, it seems that the ds also has this problem. actually childish is the wrong word, the wii just dosent strike me as a serious gaming console, with my xbox 360 and ps3 i can sit down and play games for hours but i dont see that many games on the wii that look like they could hold my attention for that long
#22 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -
@leviticus128 said:
" @Meowayne: i suppose its my own fault that i see the games as childish because my stepbrother who is only 6 loves the wii and ive seen him play some truly awful games, animal crossing  and that sonic game spring to mind. a lot of the games availiable seem to rely too much on being bright and colourful and watered down so that they appeal to younger audiences, it seems that the ds also has this problem. actually childish is the wrong word, the wii just dosent strike me as a serious gaming console, with my xbox 360 and ps3 i can sit down and play games for hours but i dont see that many games on the wii that look like they could hold my attention for that long "

your obviously not looking. 
the DS has the best libary this gen and the wii has lots of great games
#23 Posted by nixium (193 posts) -

I'd like to add little kings story. Its a really fun, little game.  

Also Rune Factory is pretty good if you enjoyed harvest moon.

#24 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -
@leviticus128 said:
" @Meowayne: i suppose its my own fault that i see the games as childish because my stepbrother who is only 6 loves the wii and ive seen him play some truly awful games, animal crossing  and that sonic game spring to mind. a lot of the games availiable seem to rely too much on being bright and colourful and watered down so that they appeal to younger audiences, it seems that the ds also has this problem. actually childish is the wrong word, the wii just dosent strike me as a serious gaming console, with my xbox 360 and ps3 i can sit down and play games for hours but i dont see that many games on the wii that look like they could hold my attention for that long "
Well, there's your problem. You have bias that is keeping you from enjoying the console. I have played the Wii more than I have, say, the 360. No bias involved, just games.
#25 Edited by warbadger (40 posts) -

There are a limited number of "must" buys on any console.  You buy the console based on them, and then anything on top of that is icing.  If the games listed above aren't  enough, then you probably don't want a wii. 

I don't know about you but I can only afford a handful of games.

RE umbrella chronicles is a lot of fun, as i'm sure the sequel Darkside Chronicles will be.

#26 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@girdz said:
" Super Mario Galaxy. One of the best game to come out in the last 5 years IMO. "
I agree that game was an absolute blast. Not sure if the second one can rival the first.
#27 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

There are plenty of good games on the Wii. It's just that there are plenty of better games on the other systems, with equivalent gameplay but better technical aspects. 

#28 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

There are only a few that stand out just at the top of my head, so yes, there are good games. But not enough to buy the console.

#29 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: well the first dude asked a question so i answered it straight away. i started the tread because not owning the console for over a year i havent been keeping up with the new games coming out really and wanted to know if there were any major blocbuster hits that would convince me to buy the conse e.g. i only bought a ps3 because mgs4 came out and i only have another handful of titles for the ps3 which are all exclusive (infamous, killzone 2, uncharted 2) and i dont feel bad because all of these games make owning the console worthwhile. i wanted to know if there were sufficent games to make owning a wii worthwhile. i have looked through many of the suggestions (admittedley i havent looked at all of the ones on the list from meowayne because i wanted to know what the gb community thought were must buy titles) and am currenlty making a list of frequently recomended games.

i think ive given sufficent amounts of valid reasons to all of your questions
#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Boy and His Blob just came out and is excellent.
On top of that, I'd highly recommend Smash Brothers Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Little King's Story and Mario Kart.

Truthfully, not much else on the system has really grabbed my interest, but it's honestly worth it for those few titles alone.  Brawl and Mario Kart especially if you have friends to play them with frequently and Mario Galaxy is simply one of the best games I've ever played.  Little King will last you a very long time as well.

#31 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@girdz said:
" Super Mario Galaxy. One of the best game to come out in the last 5 years IMO. "
I hated that game. D:
#32 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -
@Geno said:

"There are plenty of good games on the Wii. It's just that there are plenty of better games on the other systems, with equivalent gameplay but better technical aspects."

Not really, most of the good Wii games are rather unique to it. It's got the platforming genre by the balls with multiple good 3D (Super Mario Galaxy, De Blob, etc) or side scrolling games (Wario Land, Lost Winds, NyxQuest, Klonoa, New Super Mario Bros, A Boy and His Blob, etc),  and it's also got games like Little King's Story, Muramasa, No More Heroes and Metroid Prime 3 which may fit in genres the other systems also have plenty (?) of, but they have their very own unique style and gameplay so you can't claim you played an "equivalent" really. It's basically got plenty for anyone, except shooters (though it's got some of those that play on its strengths also like Battalion Wars 2) and RPGs (though that's starting to fix with various games like The Crystal Bearers, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Graces, Fragile, most of which are not so conventional for their respective genres either, obviously the eventual Dragon Quest X, and some Strategy RPGs coming among others to side with Fire Emblem). Just a few examples.

And to the OP: It seems you've already decided and completely ignore the suggestions of people who tried to help you in your initial request, despite their alarm bells ringing. Did you really look through Meo's and others' suggestions and responded so fast? You didn't even really comment on any of it even, you just told Meowayne how you feel it's all childish because your brother or whoever plays on it. Why did you start this thread at all?
#33 Posted by JJOR64 (19048 posts) -

I feel like a thread like this is posted like once a month.  One Word: Yes.  There are many great games on Wii.

#34 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Definitely Super Smash Bros and Legend Of Zelda i'd say!

#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

@leviticus128
said:
"   i know there are a few such as mario galaxy, resi 4, metroid trilogy and the new super mario bros wii "
Hey look, you answered your own question. Good job dumbass.
#36 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Are there any good games? NO, the console just sells because people enjoy playing games that look like river raid and play like superman 64. 

Yes there are good games.

#37 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero: How can you hate a game that is so cheery?
#38 Posted by jakob187 (21730 posts) -

Hmmm...flamebait or actual inquiry? 

Either way, yes...there are a lot of excellent games for the Wii.  The problem is that people refuse to see past the stylized graphics in many of the games.  This idea that a game has to look uber-realistic to be "good" pisses me off, quite frankly.  Not saying that the OP is in that mindset...just pointing it out. 

But yes, there are tons of good games, even great games.  Would I personally buy another Wii?  Well, not really, but that's solely because I'm rarely at home.  The system is great, though, and I would definitely buy another one if I had time to invest in it.

#39 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

NSMBW

#40 Posted by jakob187 (21730 posts) -
@ryanwho said:

"  

@leviticus128
said:
"i know there are a few such as mario galaxy, resi 4, metroid trilogy and the new super mario bros wii "
Hey look, you answered your own question. Good job dumbass. "
That was unnecessary and rude.   I'll also assume that you, like so many others, just let your selective reading kick in...

@leviticus128 said: 

"however i dont want to end up buying a console just to play a handful of games"

Good job reading the REST of that statement...dumbass.
#41 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

Short answer  NO. 
Long answer  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#42 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@leviticus128 said:
" it seems that the ds also has this problem.  "
Say what you want about the wii, but the DS has an excellent library
#43 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I really liked de Blob and Deadly Creatures.  

I also played through No More Heroes very quickly, it was pretty good. Bonus to that is that there's a sequel in the near future.

#44 Posted by Jesda (3 posts) -

The Resident evil series is a good one to play (More action on the Wii)

#45 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is awesome, but I don't think it's enough to buy a Wii for. It's not as good as Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, but let's face it... very few games are.

#46 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -

Dude if you want to buy the Wii then buy it for its games but if you think that a childish looking game ain't your thing then why ask??

#47 Posted by Leviticus128 (217 posts) -
@jakob187: thanks for pointing that out before i did. i do realise i answered my own question but he topic title is really just there to attract people that think there are so they will say so there is reason behind my idiocy
#48 Posted by Akel (147 posts) -

Are there good games? Yes. Will you like them? Apparently not.

#49 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I can't say for you what is good and what isn't, but based on average scores and being exclusive to the Wii, you can't go wrong searching through Metacritic (and making up your own mind).  To make it easier for you, these are the games which are exclusive and scored 60 and above.  There are many other games that are from the PS2, Gamecube and on the PS3/360, plus WiiWare and VC: 
   WII:

Animal Crossing: City Folk ***

Another Code: R - A Journey Into Lost Memories

Battalion Wars 2 ***

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree ***

BlastWorks: Build, Trade, Destroy

Boom Blox

Boom Blox Bash Party

Boy and his Blob, A

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut

Conduit, The

Cooking Mama World Kitchen

Cooking Mama: Cook Off ***

Cursed Mountain

Dawn of Discovery

de Blob ***

Dead Space Extraction

Deadly Creatures ***

Dewy's Adventure ***

Disaster: Day of Crisis

Dokapon Kingdom

Dragon Quest Swords: The Mask Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Elebits ***

Endless Ocean ***

Excite Truck ***

Excitebots: Trick Racing

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon ***

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Ghost Squad

Grand Slam Tennis

Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility ***

Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return

House of the Dead: Overkill, The ***

Klonoa

Kororinpa: Marble Mania

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The ***

Let's Tap

Link's Crossbow Training ***

Little King's Story ***

MadWorld

Marble Saga: Kororinpa

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games ***

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Mario Kart Wii ***

Mario Party 8

Mario Strikers Charged ***

Mario Super Sluggers

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption ***

Monster Lab

Munchables, The

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars

My Word Coach

MySims ***

MySims Agents

MySims Kingdom ***

MySims Racing

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams ***

No More Heroes ***

Octomania

Opoona

Punch-Out!!

Rabbids Go Home

Rayman Raving Rabbids 2

Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party

Red Steel

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles ***

Rune Factory: Frontier ***

Samba De Amigo ***

SimCity Creator

Sonic and the Secret Rings ***

Spectrobes: Origins

Spore Hero

Spyborgs

SSX Blur

Super Mario Galaxy ***

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Super Paper Mario ***

Super Smash Bros. Brawl ***

Super Swing Golf

Super Swing Golf Season 2

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World ***

Tenchu: Shadow Assassins

Trauma Center: New Blood ***

Trauma Center: Second Opinion ***

Wario Land: Shake It! ***

WarioWare: Smooth Moves ***

We Love Golf!

We Ski

We Ski and Snowboard

Wii Fit ***

Wii Fit Plus

Wii Music

Wii Sports ***

Wii Sports Resort ***

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Wheelie Breakers

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure ***

I have 60+ Wii games and thoroughly enjo\y the system (and yes, I have a 360 and 30+ games).  I made a *** notation for the games I have and enjoyed.  Whatever decision you make is the right one for you, but you are missing a lot if  you don't own a Wii. 

The Wii is worth owning for House of Dead: Overkill, Super Smash Bros and Litttle King's Story alone - awesome games by any definition.
#50 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

With the exception of the humor, Dead Space: Extraction wipes the floor with OVERKILL in every regard. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.